Politics And Current Events

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:44 pm

Veteran gives Purple Heart to Trump
“I always wanted to get the Purple Heart — this was much easier. I'll tell you, it was such an honor.”
Something tells me this is not helping.
Trump has undoubtedly eaten at least one hot dog on the streets of NYC, so this seems like an earned award.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:44 pm

Source of the post I wonder why legal challenges to the 16th Amendment's constitutionality are routinely rejected as 'frivolous'?
It is a wonder, considering the Supreme Court, numerous times, shot down the federal taxing of income as unconstitutional only to have their decision dubiously nullified (that opens the door for some debate right there) a handful of years later...not to mention the editing of the language of the amendment and what was actually agreed to and what was not...

Given my understanding of states' rights leading up to and around that time, it does seem a tiny bit unlikely that everyone would so quickly allow the federal government to overreach them on something like broad, far-reaching economics...

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:50 pm

Maybe politicians always spewed such out of touch nonsense but with Twitter and 24 hrs coverage we just notice it today.
I know the founders were capable of being just as underhanded, but I can't fathom them saying things that are as out of touch as what these two are.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:51 pm

“I always wanted to get the Purple Heart — this was much easier. I'll tell you, it was such an honor.”

What non-news... Who gives a **** about this harmless comment.

columbia

Postby columbia » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:52 pm

Source of the post I wonder why legal challenges to the 16th Amendment's constitutionality are routinely rejected as 'frivolous'?
It is a wonder, considering the Supreme Court, numerous times, shot down the federal taxing of income as unconstitutional only to have their decision dubiously nullified (that opens the door for some debate right there) a handful of years later...not to mention the editing of the language of the amendment and what was actually agreed to and what was not...

Given my understanding of states' rights leading up to and around that time, it does seem a tiny bit unlikely that everyone would so quickly allow the federal government to overreach them on something like broad, far-reaching economics...
Which part of Amendment = constitutional are your not catching on to?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:52 pm

This is the first time in the history of this poll that a presidential candidate emerged from their convention to find a majority of those polled saying they were less likely to vote for the candidate. It's the first time the difference between more likely and less likely is a negative number.

Polls are largely meaningless until at least after Labor Day, but that's still wildly funny to me.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:54 pm

Here is a great example of a headline which not only presents misleading information, but is dangerous to a well-ordered society.

https://twitter.com/thinkprogress/statu ... 5786619904

Now if you read the story linked in the tweet you find this:
When they obtained a key from a landlord, an officer walked through the door to find Gaines sitting with her son in her lap and pointing a gun at the cop. More officers were called to the scene for tactical support and other tenants in the building were told to evacuate. Johnson said police tried to talk to Gaines for several hours before things turned deadly around 3 p.m. At that time, Gaines said she would kill the police if they didn’t leave.
Goodness. That is a hideous, deliberate attempt on the part of ThinkProgress to stoke racial tension and mislead readers. They post the big picture of the happy, smiling black chick with her kid in the background. From that Tweet, the scrolling reader would assume the cops shot an unarmed mother that was holding her child.

But yeah, leftist advocacy groups have no interest in stoking racial tension. Watch her turn into a martyr now.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:55 pm

Again, just Exhibit 307 of Trump's inability to keep his foot out of his mouth.

At some point (hopefully) people will realize this election is no longer about these candidates or even politics. It's a referendum on us as an electorate, and our collective ability to exercise judgment.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 1:57 pm

At some point (hopefully) people will realize this election is no longer about these candidates or even politics. It's a referendum on us as an electorate, and our collective ability to exercise judgment.

And voting for either trump or Clinton is a failure of one's judgement.

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:00 pm

It's easier to make fun of Trump because he gives us so much ammunition.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:01 pm

It's easier to make fun of Trump because he gives us so much ammunition.

Well of course, because he is a gigantic, narcistic blowhard.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:03 pm

Why don't you have to pass a psych eval and gun training course before you excercise your second amendment right?
Because the courts have decided that it presents too large a barrier to excercise those rights.
Uh, you are aware that multiple states (like Illinois and New Jersey) require people to apply for and obtain credentials in advance in order to purchase firearms, right? Illinois requires a Firearm Owner's Identification (FOID) card before one can even possess firearms, let alone purchase one commercially, and there's absolutely a fee for that card. New Jersey requires fingerprinting and photographing as part of the process to obtain a Firearms Purchaser Identification Card (FPIC), which is required in order to buy any gun. The fingerprinting alone costs something like $60.

Based on your analogy, I assume you would agree that those laws in Illinois and New Jersey are unconstitutional?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:04 pm

Unless you're delusional enough to think a 3rd party candidate will be elected, it's a pick your poison thing. I understand the want for this to not be the case, but it really is. When Clinton says sh*t like Comey said she was truthful, it should be scrutinized because it's non-sense, but the sheer number of "wtf did (s)he just say?" from Trump is way more than that of Clinton (in my book anyways, maybe you think Clinton has said ridiculous things more often, but that'd be hard to justify).

Let's go back to hockey analogies since everyone loves them... Imagine talking to a Minnesota Wild fan during the Stanley Cup final and asking if they prefer the Penguins or Sharks to win and they say "neither, I want the Wild to win". You'd look at them like they have 3 eyes. At this point it's Clinton or Trump. Criticizing people for picking one the lesser evil is ridiculously stupid.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:08 pm

Unless you're delusional enough to think a 3rd party candidate will be elected, it's a pick your poison thing. I understand the want for this to not be the case, but it really is. When Clinton says sh*t like Comey said she was truthful, it should be scrutinized because it's non-sense, but the sheer number of "wtf did (s)he just say?" from Trump is way more than that of Clinton (in my book anyways, maybe you think Clinton has said ridiculous things more often, but that'd be hard to justify).

Let's go back to hockey analogies since everyone loves them... Imagine talking to a Minnesota Wild fan during the Stanley Cup final and asking if they prefer the Penguins or Sharks to win and they say "neither, I want the Wild to win". You'd look at them like they have 3 eyes. At this point it's Clinton or Trump. Criticizing people for picking one the lesser evil is ridiculously stupid.

One says a lot of stupid things, the other does a lot of stupid things.

And the third party is only a want because of sheep that vote straight party line.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:11 pm

Again, that's the system we have. I will give you 10:1 odds on a $1,000 bet that either Trump or Clinton will be the next POTUS. You're not going to take that bet because the reality of our current system is that these two are the choices. Picking the lesser evil is the way close to 50% (or maybe more, who knows) of people are going to vote this fall, and criticizing them for doing so is dumb.

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:16 pm

Again, that's the system we have. I will give you 10:1 odds on a $1,000 bet that either Trump or Clinton will be the next POTUS. You're not going to take that bet because the reality of our current system is that these two are the choices. Picking the lesser evil is the way close to 50% (or maybe more, who knows) of people are going to vote this fall, and criticizing them for doing so is dumb.

I never said third party was going to win. Picking the lesser of two evils is stupid, and they deserve to be called out for being stupid.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:17 pm

Here's another sheep that will vote for Clinton, not based on her being her, but because he recognizes she's the lesser of two evils:

http://www.syracuse.com/politics/index. ... inton.html

WHAT A MORON!

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:20 pm

congrats on realizing reality is stupid

grunthy

Postby grunthy » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:21 pm

He is a moron. I'd say the same if a democratic congressman/woman came out in support of trump for saying he is the lesser of two evils. It is a stupid way to vote. It achieves nothing other than to the continue our corrupt political system.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:22 pm

He is a moron. I'd say the same if a democratic congressman/woman came out in support of trump for saying he is the lesser of two evils. It is a stupid way to vote. It achieves nothing other than to the continue our corrupt political system.
Sorry... all I can hear is "GO WILD!!!"

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:22 pm

Which part of Amendment = constitutional are your not catching on to?
It's not a matter of me not catching on...it's the deeper dive on the subject that raises some questions...ok, sure, it is currently constitutional as it is interpreted today, granted, fine...it is in the Constitution...

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:24 pm

The republic managed to stumble along for well over two centuries without an ID requirement. Now all of a sudden there's an existential threat to democracy?

Please.
This man fears progress.

Kaiser

Postby Kaiser » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:25 pm

I think people are retarded for perpetuating these two s*** pile parties by voting for one to stop the other. it doesn't surprise me though, since that's what they want.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:29 pm

For all my disdain for Clinton, suggesting there's any measure of equivalence between her and Trump is just not on. Trump is a new breed of horrible, the likes of which we haven't seen in my lifetime, and one that that is the result of 30+ years of cultivating this nonsense among conservative base voters. They've exploited these lesser tendencies for decades to their benefit, but now they have a Frankenstein's monster on their hands and they don't know what to do about it.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Tue Aug 02, 2016 2:44 pm

For all my disdain for Clinton, suggesting there's any measure of equivalence between her and Trump is just not on. Trump is a new breed of horrible, the likes of which we haven't seen in my lifetime, and one that that is the result of 30+ years of cultivating this nonsense among conservative base voters. They've exploited these lesser tendencies for decades to their benefit, but now they have a Frankenstein's monster on their hands and they don't know what to do about it.
It is increasingly frustrating that Clinton will not own up to the email problem. She needs to explain that there is stuff in there that she doesn't want the public to see. She knows that she is a target of public scrutiny, but being secretive and wreck-less with public documents was the worst course of action. The best of course being to not do shady things, but she could probably cite the low standards that we hold for public officials in this country (ie Bob McDonnel), and admit that she's not out of line with regards to standard conduct. Most of the public has a short memory on this, but the reluctance to fully disclose her motivations and the content of the emails allows this parade to continue.