:lol: Thanks!

Pavel Bure

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 6

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:53 pm

So the isles are good?

mikey

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 6

Postby mikey » Thu Jun 10, 2021 1:59 pm

They are "good" in the sense that they know how to drop sacks of thumbtacks on the rink...yes. But in reality, they are water-skiing on stars and getting outshot by 50 to 100+% in half the games of the series (even in the others)...it's not "good", it just is...

They're playing their system and all and they're doing that well...but honestly, we put together a slightly better series than Boston did and got even worse goaltending...the result was exactly the same...

shmenguin

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 6

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:25 pm

They’re as “good” as Trotz’s predators were (not very), they’ve just faced flawed teams/goalies, which allowed them to sneak in enough wins.

They’re a 7/8 seed who can’t win a cup but could be a pain in early rounds. But they get outplayed in every series and are rightful losers.

robbiestoupe

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 6

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:30 pm

I haven't watched much of the other series, but can the same be said of Montreal? Is this going to be the "new" NHL? Because if it is, things will need to change fast. It reeks too much like pre-lockout hockey, as in boring.

faftorial

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 6

Postby faftorial » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:37 pm

Sour grapes in here.

Congrats to the Isles for taking out two teams who had a very small number of points more than they did this year.

shmenguin

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 6

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:55 pm

isles aren't good on paper or the eye test. this isn't much of a debate. there's no need to praise this team because our goalie gave a historically bad performance. we outplayed them heavily, but lost. so be it. but it's not a new thing in sports where a team overachieves because they luck into the right circumstances.

mikey

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 6

Postby mikey » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:15 pm

Yeah, this is all pretty obvious stuff here...it's not about sour grapes, it's just the reality of the situation. They get boat-raced in more than half of the games they've played so far...yet, no one is closer to a Cup and no one else still alive can lay claim to having that resume of having their **** pushed back out of their mouth and considering it a good night...

Re: Montreal. Yeah, somewhat similar. A little less discipline, less physical. More quiet skill throughout their lineup. The Leafs lack of care was to blame, where as we were undone by goaltending. Boston didn't get a wonderful performance from Rask, and they suffered a few injuries along the way...where as Winnipeg had their top center go rogue and kill a man and then everyone quit or was hurt...they didn't put up much of a fight. I think in the elimination game they had like 11 shots through 2 periods or something...essentially, no one got themselves in a position to be water-skied on because that involves taking strides...

mikey

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 6

Postby mikey » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:20 pm

The sour grapes, or whatever, I guess for me is that we had a unique opportunity to get some star on star matchups that we may never be able to see again...like how we twice were robbed of Lemieux vs Roy. We could have had Lemieux vs Gretzky. Jagr vs Forsberg. All that kind of stuff here...instead we're going to have Cal Clutterbuck trying to hog tie Nikita Kucherov for 4 or 5 games...and then a really good team against Montreal, a team that won about as many games as Ottawa this year...

It's a wasted opportunity. And I don't want this to be the NBA where the early rounds don't matter. I love the first round of the Stanley Cup Playoffs and I don't want a free pass for Toronto even though their best players would rather play XBox...the point is, the desire to keep penalty minutes even is bias in and of itself and it benefits uninteresting teams...it makes for a worse product, and the collateral damage that comes with it...

MR25

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 6

Postby MR25 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:25 pm

I dunno if this says more about the Isles or the goalies they faced...

mikey

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 6

Postby mikey » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:05 pm

I mean, they got some charitable goalies...but the Isles are actually not a bad transition team...they flip the ice pretty well, they get center lane speed, they get pucks to the net, and they get offensive rebounds, which are more dangerous with every shot really...

shmenguin

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 6

Postby shmenguin » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:28 pm

I guess for me is that we had a unique opportunity to get some star on star matchups that we may never be able to see again...like how we twice were robbed of Lemieux vs Roy. We could have had Lemieux vs Gretzky. Jagr vs Forsberg. All that kind of stuff here...instead we're going to have Cal Clutterbuck trying to hog tie Nikita Kucherov for 4 or 5 games...
if people think it's funny that we missed the one chance to get McDavid vs. Matthews in round 2, i don't understand that thought. same with any sort of "iconic" match up. upsets and underdogs get boring by the time you're a grown up (unless it's at an unbelievable scale). and biases against Toronto because of their fans and overall hockey media...meh. They have interesting players and interesting infrastructure. And they aren't even "rivals" with anyone, and play a clean game. Why not root for a little fun with some big names in the mix?

oh well...this year we had a rare opportunity to get interesting matchups. and we didn't get that. and i don't expect to watch anything from here on out.

willeyeam

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 6

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:43 pm

Mikey is finally coming around on the refs. Welcome.

mikey

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 6

Postby mikey » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:09 pm

Call it/see it

Pavel Bure

GDT Pens vs Isles Game 6

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:52 am

2021 Isles hockey is the modern day 1995 Panthers minus the rats.