Job and General Employment Thread

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue May 04, 2021 11:59 am

But again, my direct ask was "check on her. I'm concerned for her wellness."

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 04, 2021 1:31 pm

farewell emails...i liked working with you, but i'm not reading this wall of text, and you aren't actually going to keep in touch with anyone

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue May 04, 2021 1:36 pm

The best one I ever got was just this:

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed May 05, 2021 7:23 am

Things are looking more and more up for me. I mentioned to my new boss that I'd like to move into a real office instead of just having a desk back in the shop. She thinks it's a great idea, since I'll be managing more and will have to be more in the loop on the goings on instead of hiding in the back of the building all the time.
I got the official word this morning that I am getting an actual office. No more sitting in the garage area with the rest of maintenance. :thumb:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 05, 2021 7:42 am

Things are looking more and more up for me. I mentioned to my new boss that I'd like to move into a real office instead of just having a desk back in the shop. She thinks it's a great idea, since I'll be managing more and will have to be more in the loop on the goings on instead of hiding in the back of the building all the time.
I got the official word this morning that I am getting an actual office. No more sitting in the garage area with the rest of maintenance. :thumb:
:thumb:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 05, 2021 7:43 am

Just finished open enrollment, and will be cashing out 120 hours. It's paid in July, so that month will be a *checks notes* 4.5 paycheck month for me.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed May 05, 2021 8:37 am

farewell emails...i liked working with you, but i'm not reading this wall of text, and you aren't actually going to keep in touch with anyone
I always enjoy them because it's like "add me on LinkedIn so we can remain connected."

No, how about you add me, you're leaving us and if we were that impactful we'd have already been connected. Buzz off.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 05, 2021 4:02 pm

Jamie Dimon, fed up with Zoom calls and remote work, says commuting to offices will make a comeback
https://www.cnbc.com/amp/2021/05/04/jam ... eback.html
Jamie Dimon is no fan of the new remote work structure that has taken hold during the coronavirus pandemic.

The JPMorgan Chase chairman and CEO has already told his U.S. employees they should begin getting used to returning this month with the goal of having 50% of workers rotating through offices by July. While he's fine with the greater flexibility allowed by employees working from home part time, he said Tuesday that's no substitute for being at the office.

"We want people back to work, and my view is that sometime in September, October it will look just like it did before," Dimon said at The Wall Street Journal CEO Council. "And everyone is going to be happy with it, and yes, the commute, you know people don't like commuting, but so what."
This guys sounds like a pleasant NTP66.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 05, 2021 4:04 pm

JPMC was a client of mine...to the extent that i was sort of an honorary employee of theirs for like a decade. the culture of that place is appalling. truly. like...action movie-level villains work there.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed May 05, 2021 4:05 pm

Ok, boomer. What does "we want people back to work" mean? What does he think his employees have been doing for over a year?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 05, 2021 4:05 pm

Taking dumps while on Zoom calls, apparently.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed May 05, 2021 4:40 pm

I'm ready for you'll to go back to the office. That perk I have has lost some of its luster. :slug:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 05, 2021 5:38 pm

Now repeat that in English.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed May 05, 2021 5:48 pm

Y'all not you'll.

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu May 06, 2021 1:15 pm

Moved into my new office this morning. The back wall has an 8' whiteboard and it makes me irrationally happy.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu May 06, 2021 1:19 pm

Second week in the new management role, and it's a total change of pace to what I was doing. Opening job positions for hiring, interviewing, and trying to get up to speed while handling still pieces of my old job I"m trying to drop.

I was personally burning out, but this has re-kindled my fire a bit because it seems much better on this side of the house, than the dev side.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri May 07, 2021 10:05 am

The only issue I've encountered with the new WFH policies is now they are a fallback for people without enough accrued sick or vacation leave.

I have a chronically ill employee that went out this week for surgery and will be out of work until the 16th (at least). Normally, she would take sick and vacation time until the 16th. However, now she is "working from home" until then because she has no vacation or sick saved up, due to her other health issues.

Now, we all worked from home from March-August of last year. I was fairly productive during this time period, but I don't think she has enough to do for 8 hours per day. There are physical items she needs from our office to do her job, and she doesn't have them.

Personally, there are few reasons why I'm fine with her staying home: our employer hasn't given staff raises in years, and in fact, switched this position to hourly from salary to save money here and there. Also, this individual is a drama queen and would drive us all crazy with tales from the hospital and minute-by-minute updates on how she's feeling post-surgery.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri May 07, 2021 10:28 am

Opinion: As a CEO, I worry about the erosion of office culture with more remote work
:lol:

They mention all the birthday celebrations being missed.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions ... p_opinions

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 07, 2021 10:30 am

If they truly believe that, then all it does is prove how out of touch they are with their workers.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri May 07, 2021 11:02 am

If they truly believe that, then all it does is prove how out of touch they are with their workers.
Exactly. Talk about failing to read the room on what your employees want, versus what the CEO personally wants.

Office culture is literal garbage.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri May 07, 2021 11:07 am

Also from the CEO article:
While some employees might like to continue to work from home and pop in only when necessary, that presents executives with a tempting economic option the employees might not like. I estimate that about 20 percent of every office job is outside one’s core responsibilities — “extra.” It involves helping a colleague, mentoring more junior people, celebrating someone’s birthday — things that drive office culture. If the employee is rarely around to participate in those extras, management has a strong incentive to change their status to “contractor.” Instead of receiving a set salary, contractors are paid only for the work they do, either hourly or by appropriate output metrics. That would also mean not having to pay for health care, a 401(k) match and our share of FICA and Medicare taxes — benefits that in my company’s case add up roughly to an extra 15 percent of compensation. Not to mention the potential savings of reduced office space and extras such as bonuses and parking fees.
Switch your full-time employees from salary, to contract because they don't have that "extra", and watch your company absolutely get smoked even more negatively than you think it is right now.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri May 07, 2021 11:59 am

On a week where a friend of mine and my former boss both reached out to me and asked if I would be interested in joining their company, my company comes up with a 20+% raise for me effective immediately to continue doing what I'm doing for them...I didn't even mention the other tire kickings to them...cool. Drinks on me, boys...

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri May 07, 2021 12:05 pm

On a week where a friend of mine and my former boss both reached out to me and asked if I would be interested in joining their company, my company comes up with a 20+% raise for me effective immediately to continue doing what I'm doing for them...I didn't even mention the other tire kickings to them...cool. Drinks on me, boys...
F U mikey

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri May 07, 2021 12:20 pm

Now you can load up on FUBO.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 07, 2021 12:58 pm

What's 20% of $12/hour?

Congrats!