meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Tue May 04, 2021 10:44 am

I mean. Probably not...but could be

MR25

Hockey Randomness

Postby MR25 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:45 am

Don’t get too fired up yet. That is for roughing Buchnevich. Maybe the Panarin thing will be a separate ruling?

willeyeam

Hockey Randomness

Postby willeyeam » Tue May 04, 2021 10:51 am

as much as I hate Wilson, the fact that he yanked Panarin's hair is irrelevant. I've seen the same thing in football. if you're going to keep your hair like that then it's as much fair game as any part of you. now the body slam, that's over the line but what really gets me is Wilson jamming his stick into Buchnevic's neck. didn't the entire country learn in the last year what happens when you put pressure on another human's neck????
I predict "remainder of season" suspension.
Pulling hair happens in football during play when guys are trying to make a tackle. This guy pulled his hair after the whistle as a means to drag his head to the ice. **** that

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 04, 2021 10:56 am

Don’t get too fired up yet. That is for roughing Buchnevich. Maybe the Panarin thing will be a separate ruling?
the buchnevich one was worse though.

i'm actually wondering if this is the most shameful moment in DoPS history, but there's a lot to sift thru

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 04, 2021 10:57 am

really looking forward to the rags sending a nobody out to fight wilson, who proceeds to cream him. the stick taps will make everything better.

MR25

Hockey Randomness

Postby MR25 » Tue May 04, 2021 11:00 am

The dumbest thing I'm seeing right now is former players with media boices saying "Well he gets away with it because no one is out there to police him". Or Whitney just outright defending him.

No wonder he keeps getting away with it. The league wants this.

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 04, 2021 11:01 am

Yeah, that's a stupid **** argument.

Troy Loney

Hockey Randomness

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 04, 2021 11:03 am

What was the sequence in that playoff series a few years ago? If I remember, he knocked out Dumolin, was not penalized, then the next game almost murdered ZAR which got him suspended for the rest of the series?

So, I'm guessing he'll head shot some dude in the next couple of games and the league will respond and retroactively punish him for the prior hit, more or less. I mean, it's basically a 100% chance that he'll take injure someone, luckily there's enough time between now and when they play the Pens.

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Tue May 04, 2021 11:05 am

Whit backing a guy like this is interesting considering his testosterone level when he played was a negative number.

MR25

Hockey Randomness

Postby MR25 » Tue May 04, 2021 11:11 am

At this point it feels like the only way he'll stop is if someone two-hand baseball swings at his throat and he can't play anymore.

Not that I'm condoning it, and also aware the guy who does it will be punished way more harshly than Wilson ever has.

dodint

Hockey Randomness

Postby dodint » Tue May 04, 2021 11:13 am

Hit him with the Malarchuck Protocol.

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Tue May 04, 2021 11:22 am

He got a 10 in game, right? I wonder how that played into it

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 04, 2021 11:24 am

At this point it feels like the only way he'll stop is if someone two-hand baseball swings at his throat and he can't play anymore.

Not that I'm condoning it, and also aware the guy who does it will be punished way more harshly than Wilson ever has.
why not condone it? it's not about revenge or anything. vigilantes have been activated by the DoPS today. gotta protect yourself somehow.

no one will go that far of course. but i don't know why there aren't guys just waiting to line him up. he's not smart. he doesn't have the sixth sense sid does about who's about to plow him. take a flying shoulder into his face whenever possible.

@meow and @mikey - is he literally just impossible to access that way?

shoeshine boy

Hockey Randomness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue May 04, 2021 11:30 am

1. Wilson knocked Panarin's helmet off, then pulled his hair. Not even in the realm of a similar scenario to a football player

2. Hockey is played on skates and ice. Pulling Panarin's hair in this scenario is way more dangerous than a football player on grass. Panarin is absolutely lucky he landed on his shoulder from that maneuver. He could've landed on his head and been concussed, or worse.

Imo the hair pull Wilson executed was as dangerous, if not more, than a slewfoot in this same scenario.
yeah but you can't punish Wilson extra just because he grabbed Panarin's hair. purposefully grab his head and slam him to the ice? absolutely throw the book at him. I keep seeing hysterical Rangers fans saying, "but he grabbed his hair!" and my response is, "dodint move but so what?". the emphasize shouldn't be on the fact that Wilson grabbed the hair but that Wilson slammed him down while Panarin was in a vulnerable position. that's all I'm saying.

shoeshine boy

Hockey Randomness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue May 04, 2021 11:33 am

Whit backing a guy like this is interesting considering his testosterone level when he played was a negative number.
yeah but Whitney has become the sports equivalent of Rush Limbaugh Sean Hannity. he says stupid **** just to get ratings and clicks. :pop:

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 04, 2021 11:34 am

1. Wilson knocked Panarin's helmet off, then pulled his hair. Not even in the realm of a similar scenario to a football player

2. Hockey is played on skates and ice. Pulling Panarin's hair in this scenario is way more dangerous than a football player on grass. Panarin is absolutely lucky he landed on his shoulder from that maneuver. He could've landed on his head and been concussed, or worse.

Imo the hair pull Wilson executed was as dangerous, if not more, than a slewfoot in this same scenario.
yeah but you can't punish Wilson extra just because he grabbed Panarin's hair. purposefully grab his head and slam him to the ice? absolutely throw the book at him. I keep seeing hysterical Rangers fans saying, "but he grabbed his hair!" and my response is, "dodint move but so what?". the emphasize shouldn't be on the fact that Wilson grabbed the hair but that Wilson slammed him down while Panarin was in a vulnerable position. that's all I'm saying.
The league can do whatever it wants. An arbiter could come in and disagree and reduce the suspension but the league is allowed to suspend him for his mouth-breath to nose-breath ratio. It’s all made up.

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 04, 2021 11:37 am

Hmmm...

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Tue May 04, 2021 11:41 am

There’s a couple things at play, I imagine.

1. I don’t think fans realize how difficult he is to deal with. He’s huge. He’s strong. He’s fast. He’s unpredictable. Honestly, if I’m on the ice with him, I’m hoping to avoid him. And if I get him lined up and smear him, is he going vertical suplex me in the scrum while his buddies grab me too? Is it worth it?

2. Is it worth it? Would I love to tomahawk his jawline? HellYes.gif. But then I get suspended for forever and that sticks with me for my career...for my life. I don’t want to be known as the guy that broke Wilson’s jaw. It’s just a yucky thing to be known for. Sure fans will applaud it for 15 minutes, but then you are riding a bus in the German 2 league (no offense, G). No one talks about how big of a dick Donald Brashaer was in the game that Marty McSorely slashed him. We just talk about McSorely.

3. I think this is a league issue. DoPS has to set a different tone than the one they are setting. That department is largely irrelevant now - which is a good thing. On-ice respect is at an all-time high and Wilson is really the one consistent corner case. Borderline hits and plays between the whistles get a lot of leeway from me. This after the whistle stuff, where he can really zero in on a vulnerable person, that’s where it goes to a bad place for me.

4. I’m actually shocked there isn’t a little revolt with the Caps locker room. They see the plays. They don’t have to automatically back Wilson. You’d have a hard time convincing me to spend energy trying to grab and hold guys trying to get to him in a scrum. Like it The Longest Yard when the line lets Sandler get sacked three straight plays. I wouldn’t be too excited to constantly have to scrum it up for this teammate that can’t control himself.

MR25

Hockey Randomness

Postby MR25 » Tue May 04, 2021 11:44 am

Apparently this was DOPS logic. I guess grabbing a guy by the hair and yanking his head toward the ice is considered "wrestling" now.

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue May 04, 2021 11:50 am

I’ll buy and proudly wear the jersey of the player who decided to McSorley slash him in the head.

shoeshine boy

Hockey Randomness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue May 04, 2021 11:51 am

Apparently this was DOPS logic. I guess grabbing a guy by the hair and yanking his head toward the ice is considered "wrestling" now.
I can't get past the Buchnevich things. his stick is PRESSING on the back of Buch's neck and then he punches him in the head with his glove on. :o

DoPS needs to be launched into the Sun.

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue May 04, 2021 11:53 am

They play again tomorrow night. If a Ranger doesn’t try to take him out then they deserve what they got last night.

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 04, 2021 11:54 am

There’s a couple things at play, I imagine.

1. I don’t think fans realize how difficult he is to deal with. He’s huge. He’s strong. He’s fast. He’s unpredictable. Honestly, if I’m on the ice with him, I’m hoping to avoid him. And if I get him lined up and smear him, is he going vertical suplex me in the scrum while his buddies grab me too? Is it worth it?

2. Is it worth it? Would I love to tomahawk his jawline? HellYes.gif. But then I get suspended for forever and that sticks with me for my career...for my life. I don’t want to be known as the guy that broke Wilson’s jaw. It’s just a yucky thing to be known for. Sure fans will applaud it for 15 minutes, but then you are riding a bus in the German 2 league (no offense, G). No one talks about how big of a dick Donald Brashaer was in the game that Marty McSorely slashed him. We just talk about McSorely.

3. I think this is a league issue. DoPS has to set a different tone than the one they are setting. That department is largely irrelevant now - which is a good thing. On-ice respect is at an all-time high and Wilson is really the one consistent corner case. Borderline hits and plays between the whistles get a lot of leeway from me. This after the whistle stuff, where he can really zero in on a vulnerable person, that’s where it goes to a bad place for me.

4. I’m actually shocked there isn’t a little revolt with the Caps locker room. They see the plays. They don’t have to automatically back Wilson. You’d have a hard time convincing me to spend energy trying to grab and hold guys trying to get to him in a scrum. Like it The Longest Yard when the line lets Sandler get sacked three straight plays. I wouldn’t be too excited to constantly have to scrum it up for this teammate that can’t control himself.
Point 2 - excellent. This is what people don’t realize. If you break his jaw or end his career, the internet loves you but your real life becomes complicated.

Re: caps locker room - they eat this sh*t up. Always have. It’s a galvanizing thing for them. He does something and they start playing better. This is almost equally gross as the act itself. This Dillon character last night for example. Bandwagoning on like he’s doing something heroic. Oshie would probably chime in with his nonsense if his dad didn’t die yesterday, Ovechkin is a completely low character person and sets the tone, Kuzy is good time charlie who doesn’t care, backstrom is a little waif who needs the protection and laviolette is a clown. Where’s the pushback gonna come from? Low character franchise with low character players and management. It’s institutional in the Ovi era.

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Tue May 04, 2021 12:02 pm

Come on, guys. He just lost $5,000. He definitely learned his lesson.