Hockey Randomness

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:06 am

It would be just like the NHL to call this a first time offense because he hadn't done that exact thing in the past. I predict he gets however many regular season games the Caps have left, so 3 or 4.

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 04, 2021 9:08 am

He did a fun little dance in the penalty box too, in case you missed it. His argument, I guess, is that he’s allowed to injure your star player by pulling his hair and you have to apologize for complaining.

He apparently was mad at a penalty they gave him and then unraveled from there. That’s pretty common with him. He reaches a critical mass of frustration and then attacks.

I also think the limited fan thing bugs him. His mind wanders and he goes to old habits.

willeyeam

Hockey Randomness

Postby willeyeam » Tue May 04, 2021 9:15 am

He already got suspended 7 games this year. I could see through the first round maybe. They should suspend him for the rest of their season. Well actually all of them

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 04, 2021 9:24 am

Alternatively, they can notify the rest of the league that he is fair game for the time being. That would be glorious.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Tue May 04, 2021 9:27 am

I had a junior coach that called it “jungle justice”

Guys that got out of control like this would often get a two hand across the wrist or slashed in the ankle during a scrum.

That was also 15 years ago and the game isn’t played like that anymore.

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 04, 2021 9:28 am

I'd rather he just be removed from the game.

willeyeam

Hockey Randomness

Postby willeyeam » Tue May 04, 2021 9:30 am

Guys that got out of control like this would often get a two hand across the wrist or slashed in the ankle during a scrum.

Unfortunately I think someone clearly two handing him might get a longer suspension the way it goes these days

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 04, 2021 9:33 am

messier used to crosscheck guys in the teeth then they'd come in to hit him.

is it possible to do the same to wilson, or is he just too much to deal with this way because of size/speed?

...i know guys don't do this anymore, but if i were lining up against him, i'd try to get creative on ways for my brains to not get scrambled

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 04, 2021 9:38 am

Also, the next guy he maims would have a decent law suit against the league. Physical harm due to neglect from the governing institution. It’s really at that point.

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Tue May 04, 2021 10:08 am

The thing about Wilson is that he targets skilled players most of the time. And he’s difficult to deal with - even for more robust players. I don’t like saying this because I feel like issues like this should be handled on the ice, but the league is really failing here. I don’t like that the repeat offender thing is only for a certain timeframe. I don’t know. It’s a tough spot, honestly.

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 04, 2021 10:10 am

This should definitely not be handled on the ice.

MR25

Hockey Randomness

Postby MR25 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:20 am

Yeah, that's a fools errand. You get Wilson with psychopath strength, and if you even make a move at him you have 4 other guys trying to jump you because they don't think he's doing anything wrong.

It needs to be severe punishment,both for Wilson and the Caps organization for condoning and encouraging this bullshit.

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue May 04, 2021 10:21 am

McDavid has 91 points with 6 games left
He’s playing in the AHL.

shoeshine boy

Hockey Randomness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue May 04, 2021 10:23 am

as much as I hate Wilson, the fact that he yanked Panarin's hair is irrelevant. I've seen the same thing in football. if you're going to keep your hair like that then it's as much fair game as any part of you. now the body slam, that's over the line but what really gets me is Wilson jamming his stick into Buchnevic's neck. didn't the entire country learn in the last year what happens when you put pressure on another human's neck????
I predict "remainder of season" suspension.

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 04, 2021 10:23 am

the trajectory is what it is, and it's not gonna change on its own. the particularly psychopathic way he acted last night with panarin and then his little display in the box indicate that he's still on a downward slope, which guarantees it will happen again.

if the league knows it will happen again, and that he has the ability to paralyze or even kill someone because of his physical abilities then there's no other choice but to suspend him for the season + entire playoffs at this point. there's not much money on the line because of the post season pay structure. this is an excellent, unique opportunity to throw the book at him and have it stick.

or just do 5 games and then he can be injected right into the most consistently intense and violent round of the NHL playoffs.

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 04, 2021 10:24 am

He’s playing in the AHL.
He'll end up being the best player in NHL history, but he won't be considered top 4 in the hockey world.

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 04, 2021 10:26 am

as much as I hate Wilson, the fact that he yanked Panarin's hair is irrelevant. I've seen the same thing in football. if you're going to keep your hair like that then it's as much fair game as any part of you. now the body slam, that's over the line but what really gets me is Wilson jamming his stick into Buchnevic's neck. didn't the entire country learn in the last year what happens when you put pressure on another human's neck????
it's not about punishing the hair pull itself. it's about making the case that he was/is completely unhinged.

Troy Loney

Hockey Randomness

Postby Troy Loney » Tue May 04, 2021 10:27 am

The issues wasn't that he pulled his hair, it's that he pulled his hair to try and slam his head off the ice

shoeshine boy

Hockey Randomness

Postby shoeshine boy » Tue May 04, 2021 10:28 am

it's not about punishing the hair pull itself. it's about making the case that he was/is completely unhinged.
that seems to be clear to everyone except Caps fans and NHL Dept of Player Safety...... :scared:

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 04, 2021 10:29 am

He’s playing in the AHL.
He'll end up being the best player in NHL history, but he won't be considered top 4 in the hockey world.
what?

MR25

Hockey Randomness

Postby MR25 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:33 am

1. Wilson knocked Panarin's helmet off, then pulled his hair. Not even in the realm of a similar scenario to a football player

2. Hockey is played on skates and ice. Pulling Panarin's hair in this scenario is way more dangerous than a football player on grass. Panarin is absolutely lucky he landed on his shoulder from that maneuver. He could've landed on his head and been concussed, or worse.

Imo the hair pull Wilson executed was as dangerous, if not more, than a slewfoot in this same scenario.
Last edited by MR25 on Tue May 04, 2021 10:35 am, edited 1 time in total.

MR25

Hockey Randomness

Postby MR25 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:33 am

The issues wasn't that he pulled his hair, it's that he pulled his hair to try and slam his head off the ice

Basically boils down to this.

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Tue May 04, 2021 10:34 am

He’s playing in the AHL.
what?
what's the confusion? the top 4 isn't eligible to be changed at any point going forward. and i personally predict mcdavid will end up being the best player of all time. but because he plays now, he won't be able to differentiate the way 99 and 66 did. and nobody gets to do what Orr and Howe did anymore either.

i'm amenable to an argument that 66 is better. but i've never seen anything like mcdavid. don't @ me.

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Tue May 04, 2021 10:37 am

$5000 fine ... not satire

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Tue May 04, 2021 10:42 am

Don’t get too fired up yet. That is for roughing Buchnevich. Maybe the Panarin thing will be a separate ruling?