2021 Steelers Offseason Thread

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:30 am

If we can snag a Dickerson or similar I'll be plenty happy

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:31 am

They picked a RB... okay... right... if the league has proven anything it’s like RB is a disposable position that has success built on mostly the quality of the o-line.
And if your offensive line is questionable, it’s much easier to get one really good RB than multiple really good linemen.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:36 am

They picked a RB... okay... right... if the league has proven anything it’s like RB is a disposable position that has success built on mostly the quality of the o-line.
And if your offensive line is questionable, it’s much easier to get one really good RB than multiple really good linemen.
This is what I think as well. The Steelers run game was comically terrible last year, they showed Conner out, as he is far too brittle to handle being a #1. The line is going to be patchwork all year. even if they drafted someone yesterday. If this dude is a stud, it’ll go very far to making the line look better.

Also, the defense fell off a cliff last year because bush and Dupree got hurt. They get bush back, so at least there’s that.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:55 am

The Steelers went 11-0 due to some luck but also teams not realizing they had no running game. Once teams figured out they had no running game, the dominoes fell. Even the threat of a running game would have done wonders last year.

I'm of the opinion OL had a lot to do with that, but like (future dad :scared: ) DD said, it's easier to add one RB than 2 or more OL.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri Apr 30, 2021 8:56 am

Perhaps the kangaroo is letting the last month or so of the season cloud judgement, but RBs are a luxury item. This team was falling apart at the seems by the time they got to Cleveland. The OLB depth does not exist, they let Vince Williams walk for a reason, Alex Highsmith better be gr8, and we don't really need to address the offensive line. Joe Haden is 32. Harris is a beast, I think he will be a good addition, but this team has issue, and they are many.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:21 am

The Steelers and the Bengals made the same pick. Shiny toy over legitimate need. Congrats, you've played yourself.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:41 am

The Steelers and the Bengals made the same pick. Shiny toy over legitimate need. Congrats, you've played yourself.
It's just silly to say that a running back wasn't a legit need. I'm not sure that it was their number one need but, hyperbole, the internet...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:55 am

I think Najee is really fkn good. I'd have loved to see an OL but this guy might be a star.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:56 am

Also... $5M for Mason Rudolph? Is that normal for a backup?

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 9:57 am

Harris is a beast. I would've preferred Etienne, for Clemson purposes, but Najee is probably better. He's rated the best RB from Alabama during the Saban era, according to PFF or one of those sites. Etienne wasn't as productive his senior year...because Clemson's O-line had little to no depth.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:09 am

Harris is a beast. I would've preferred Etienne, for Clemson purposes, but Najee is probably better. He's rated the best RB from Alabama during the Saban era, according to PFF or one of those sites. Etienne wasn't as productive his senior year...because Clemson's O-line had little to no depth.
Meh, the only way I like this pick long term is if he’s a stud and the Steelers play some kind of chess by moving him for a big return before the wheels fall off.

We (as fans) have just seen too many “whoa look at this stud” running backs who are more or less done after 5 years.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:13 am

Seems they might give him one year to prove himself and if he does bad, they get a high pick to draft a QB.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:13 am

Meh, the only way I like this pick long term is if he’s a stud and the Steelers play some kind of chess by moving him for a big return before the wheels fall off.

We (as fans) have just seen too many “whoa look at this stud” running backs who are more or less done after 5 years.
IMO, that's league wide too. There's only a few special ones who have made it past year 5 with one team, and played consistently.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:00 am

The worst thing about these dodint takes are every time Harris runs for a loss or gets <50 yards or 10 carries a game, he'll puff his chest. And if the opposite happens, he'll throw out some lawyerese and say that he didn't really say he hated the pick.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:10 am

Re: every sports message board ever

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:22 am

The worst thing about these dodint takes are every time Harris runs for a loss or gets <50 yards or 10 carries a game, he'll puff his chest. And if the opposite happens, he'll throw out some lawyerese and say that he didn't really say he hated the pick.
Nope, I’ll be happy if he’s beast mode but I’ve been anti-RB early since my fantasy football days when I was deep into researching things. To retool/rebuild it’s almost always, good O-line and build the team from there. Even above QB unless there’s some freak at the top of the draft. (Just don’t Andrew Luck them)

A good o-line can help elevate a QB, make an average runner look world beating, and that protection/blocking can open the passing game as well. I’m just a keyboard warrior though so whatevs.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:37 am

Seems they might give him one year to prove himself and if he does bad, they get a high pick to draft a QB.
Prove himself how? Good notetaker on the sidelines?

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:38 am

He'll get stuffed the same way every RB has for the last few years. Because there is no OL. That's not a criticism of Harris, that's on the team builders that shat away a first-round pick two years in a row.

I'll root for Harris' successes the same way I do Minkah. And if the media decides to carry water for the front office with outsized praise, I'll call that out too.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:39 am

Harris runs like an NFL back. I think Etienne is a college football player only. His success was based on athleticism and doesn't translate to a league full of athletes imo.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:39 am

Prove himself how? Good notetaker on the sidelines?
lol that came from Ed Bouchette or something, a year to see if it finally "clicks." My take is it won't, and they'll end up with a high pick and go after a QB.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:41 am

He'll get stuffed the same way every RB has for the last few years. Because there is no OL. That's not a criticism of Harris, that's on the team builders that shat away a first-round pick two years in a row.

I'll root for Harris' successes the same way I do Minkah. And if the media decides to carry water for the front office with outsized praise, I'll call that out too.
I dont buy this. The OL isn't as bad as everyone says (although pouncey going won't help). It was hard to run when Ben played the first half of the season with a wet noodle for an arm and everyone could just stack the box and easily contain a set of running backs that can't break a tackle.

Harris will break tackles.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:42 am

I mean, let's wait to see how these rounds go today. I suspect they'll take a C in the second round, and then fill out the lower rounds with LBs and an LT.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:45 am

Also to be fair there is a huge amount of depth for offensive lineman in rounds 2-4 of this draft.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:47 am

Also to be fair there is a huge amount of depth for offensive lineman in rounds 2-4 of this draft.
This is the year, I'd honestly see what I can get in the draft OL wise, and pick up roster cuts and FAs for the defense unless there's a can't miss somewhere.

Rocco

Postby Rocco » Fri Apr 30, 2021 11:54 am

All of the RBs they had on the roster prior to the draft sucked, this isn't a deep class for RBs, and this current brain trust has been unable to find RBs in deep drafts. It's fine.