Jagr hinting retirement (2022-23 season, 50 years old)

Nuge

Want to see (possibly) last games of Jagr's career?

Postby Nuge » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:36 pm

That was a moment. Straka had the game 6 OT winner in the Buffalo series too, after Mario tied it late in regulation. Tend to forget that d-man he abused was Gonchar.
This is my all-time favorite Pens-Caps moment. That season and post-season run was so much fun.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Apr 29, 2021 12:38 pm

Kladno up 4:2 with 1 period to go, starting around 11:40 CT

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:25 pm

5:2 final score. Jagr the champion again! :)

Kladno Knights back in the Extraleague...

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 29, 2021 1:48 pm

:thumb:

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Apr 29, 2021 2:42 pm

And for me, here’s to one more good year in the sun... :)

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:00 pm

I hope we finally retire his number next year, preferably when fans are back 100%.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:07 pm

He looks lost and confused.

Front row second from the left looks absolutely ripped already

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:36 pm

He looks lost and confused.

Front row second from the left looks absolutely ripped already
That's indeed as tired and emotionally spent Jagr as he could be. I read in come comments under Kladno articles that today's game was actually a make-or-break event for the whole concept of hockey in the city of Kladno. Had they lost, there might not have been enough money to keep them afloat in the 2nd league anymore. [In terms of US distances, Kladno would be a not-so-nice industrial suburb of "poshy" Prague. Nobody likes to live there, the team is relatively poor, the arena old. Jagr is the only thing worth sponsoring - and probably only if Jagr is a top-league player...]
At least Plekanec managed to squeeze a rare smile...

Tomas

Jagr to play for yet another season (2021-22)!!!

Postby Tomas » Thu Apr 29, 2021 4:44 pm

And - Jagr just announced he would play for Kladno Knights the next year, said that only God would judge him now:

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... _1liga_rmp

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 29, 2021 11:15 pm

Wow, Jaroslav Bednar was still going too...he got his team from Czech3 to Czech2...just decided to retire at age 44...

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:18 am

lol I didn't realize Jagr owned the team

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ryt%C3%AD%C5%99i_Kladno
Rytíři Kladno (English: Kladno Knights) is a Czech professional ice hockey team based in the city of Kladno. They are currently a member of the 1st Czech Republic Hockey League.[1] The team president and owner is Jaromír Jágr, a famous former NHL player, who is currently (as of 2020-21)[2] playing in home games for the team in addition to his ownership and administrative roles.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 30, 2021 10:25 am

I feel like that was mentioned like every three posts in the other Jagr thread haha

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:18 pm

Unless there's something I'm missing, Carcillo and Jagr were never teammates. Carcillo left after 2011, and Jagr signed that summer.

But if they need someone to fill the vacancy, Michal Roszival was Jagr's teammate for two seasons in Pittsburgh and another three seasons with the Rangers.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Mon Jul 05, 2021 5:50 pm

I wonder if people like Howe, or old Canadiens would have similar time series as well (with less teams in the past the likelihood of being somebody's teammate is actually higher, so my guess is that the old timers with long careers have a good chance)

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jul 05, 2021 7:46 pm

Unless there's something I'm missing, Carcillo and Jagr were never teammates. Carcillo left after 2011, and Jagr signed that summer.

But if they need someone to fill the vacancy, Michal Roszival was Jagr's teammate for two seasons in Pittsburgh and another three seasons with the Rangers.
Jagr was on the 2013 Bruins team that lost in the finals to Chicago, so using anyone but him for that year seems like a mistake.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Mon Jul 05, 2021 9:59 pm

oh yeah, I forgot about that. I think that was the same year this happened

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Jul 08, 2021 1:18 pm

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Jul 15, 2021 10:45 am

Jagr: I am a fourth-line player

Here is the Google-translated article with pictures:
https://translate.google.com/translate? ... _hokej_rmp

BUT - here is the vastly better translation by IMO the best online translator - German system called DEEPL (https://www.deepl.com/en/translator):
I'm a fourth line player, says Jagr. He's already become a scout
July 15, 2021 4:09 PM

At 49 years old, Jaromir Jagr is preparing for another hockey season, and he will play in the league again with Kladno after a one-year break. But due to stadium renovations, it won't be at home and he is tempering expectations. "I'm more of a fourth line player now," he says.

On Thursday morning, he introduced seven new reinforcements, including assistant coach Jeff Paul, who spent the last two years scouting in the NHL for the Florida Panthers.

He said the Knights will probably find sanctuary in Chomutov since their own rink has no roof.

And he praised Tomas Plekanec for helping the team assemble.

With what ambitions will you go into the next season?
The fact that we won't be playing games at home has changed our ambitions. I wanted to build a team that will compete with everyone in the extra-league. Now the main goal is to save ourselves, we won't fool ourselves. Two teams may well be relegated (meaning one directly and one after the barrage).

What will be the role of the new coach Paul?
He should get the best out of the players, he has already acted as such a liaison when selecting reinforcements. Six overseas players is a big bite, almost one third of the team, so I hope Paul will help in this. He also came in thanks to Tomas Plekanec.

How's that?
He played the biggest role in the deal. We talked about how we need to get a Canadian, they can squeeze players out. Tomas helped me with that. The management left it up to us to choose the players and the coach, so we looked for the best.

So you became a scout?
I have an incredible number of positions, an incredible number of functions (laughs).

Do you expect the coach and the new players to influence your style of play?
The original plan was to bring in as many players from overseas as possible, since we are the only team in the league with Sparta that has a narrow rink like in the NHL. Fans saw at this year's championship what a difference it is to play on narrow and wide ice. In Chomutov they have 28 meters wide, that's the middle.

Why Chomutov and not the O2 arena in Prague, which would be more acceptable to the fans?
There are many reasons. We don't know what's going to happen in two months, if they're going to allow spectators. It would be more difficult to negotiate advertising conditions with Sparta, they have their own partners. We might bump into each other if Billa and Kaufland were to fight (Sparta has Billa as a partner, Kladno has Kaufland). In Chomutov they are more likely to accommodate us.

Last year you tuned your form mainly for the playoffs in the first league, but this year you will need to collect points in every extra league game, do you count on that?
We are in a difficult situation. When we were promoted, the best Czech players were already dismantled, I knew it would be a problem to put the team together. We will miss some of the best fans in the country. The teams that come to us can't say that we have easy games. But there's no point in complaining, we're not helping ourselves.

How do you feel?
I don't consider myself a decision maker anymore. I'm on the fourth line and on the power play... I'm slowly reinventing myself as a manager. I'm still playing because it's better for the team economically, but I know I'm not as much of an asset as I used to be.

Do you still enjoy hockey?
I do, otherwise I wouldn't play despite the financial benefits. Just ask me another day, I'll probably answer differently every time... It's a lot easier when things are going well.

Have you had time to rest this summer?
I was in Spain for a few days, but the constant tests and checks made me so sick that I won't be going anywhere for a long time. I couldn't sniff for 14 days.

Are you dealing with vaccinations in the team?
I haven't seen the players yet, we didn't discuss vaccinations during the summer training, it's too much discussed in the Czech Republic.

New Kladno jerseys:
The Kladno Knights have introduced new jerseys for the 2021/22 season.

So you haven't changed your mind?
I have always been of the opinion that I don't want to advise people and tell them what to do. Let everyone decide what is best for them. Why should an athlete who's been chasing the puck his whole life do that? We have a million experts on that. I expected the medical elite to sit down and tell us the pros and cons of vaccinations, but to have a hockey player do it? Nonsense. I'm not against vaccinations, I just don't want to share my opinion to influence anyone. I try not to give advice, I've learned my lesson, because when I give my opinion, it always backfires on me. I take care of myself.

Back to hockey, how do you like the reinforcements?
I hope the goalie catches all the games, otherwise our goalie coach, who is about 120 kilos (laughs), will have to go in goal. The defense has height, weight, I like it when the backs are respectful because they are tall. And the elite offense with Pleky should be Kristo and Ciampini.

So do you have the roster assembled?
If they all play the way I imagine, yes. But you can't plan the human factor, we'll see from the preliminary games.

Aren't you worried about Dotchin? He played over 100 games in the NHL, but he was kicked out of Tampa for being overweight.
I always have to worry, I don't care, but I believe that everyone will come as prepared as possible. It's their chance to prove themselves. When I talk to agents, I say one important thing: we can't pay a player, but we can give him an opportunity. The players here can prove that they are better than the clubs thought before.

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)
And yes, Jaromir is a (quiet, non-militant) anti-vaxxer (refused to be the face of the governmental campaign).

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:09 am

In case you find yourself near Northern Bohemia this December: :)

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... _hokej_ten

https://winterhockeygames.com/

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Aug 13, 2021 10:19 am

Jagr: 'No choice' but to keep playing for Kladno
https://www.tsn.ca/jaromir-jagr-kladno- ... -1.1680823
"Do you know why I'm still playing?" Jagr told The Hockey News. "I have a responsibility to the club, otherwise I wouldn't fly here and I wouldn't be making a fool of myself. But if I quit, the partners and sponsors would leave and the club may be done. I have no choice. People don't understand it, but I don't care. Only God will judge me. I expect much more from myself, and I also believe that I have it in me."
This is depressing.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:55 pm

Jagr: 'No choice' but to keep playing for Kladno
https://www.tsn.ca/jaromir-jagr-kladno- ... -1.1680823
"Do you know why I'm still playing?" Jagr told The Hockey News. "I have a responsibility to the club, otherwise I wouldn't fly here and I wouldn't be making a fool of myself. But if I quit, the partners and sponsors would leave and the club may be done. I have no choice. People don't understand it, but I don't care. Only God will judge me. I expect much more from myself, and I also believe that I have it in me."
This is depressing.
Does not look very depressed here :)

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CTK1sLnAmN ... 3c4e26f964

"The Night with the Legend"

https://translate.google.com/translate? ... zardu.html

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:34 am

Jagr injured in the first prep game , may miss the start of the regular season.

Article:
https://www.idnes.cz/hokej/extraliga/ja ... _hokej_ald

Translation through DEEPL.COM:

Jagr might miss the start of the Extraliga. Players have no respect for each other, he said about the intervention of the Slavia players.

The Knights' owner admitted that he might miss the start of the new season because of it. Kladno will play its opening game on Friday, September 10, against Vítkovice.

Jagr withdrew from Tuesday's game after being attacked by David Šteiner and Jindřich Barák in the third period. He said he was not feeling well. He has problems with his head, but especially with his shoulder.

"I don't know if I can make the start (of the league). It doesn't look like it yet, but everything can still change. Today I'm going to see Professor Pavel Kolar, I'll bounce back from that," said the 49-year-old hockey player.

He watched the game against Slavia on Tuesday, which the Knights won 3:2. Even though two days have passed since it happened, Jagr's frustration was visible even with the passage of time.

"I had a one-on-one fight and the other player pushed me from behind. I was so close to the rim that I didn't even have time to put my hands in front of me. I was lucky to get my head out of the way. If I hadn't moved it, I might be in a wheelchair right now... That's how my shoulder got taken away," Jagr said.

He acknowledged that hockey is a tough game, but some interventions don't belong there. "I'm sorry that players don't have respect for each other in hockey. They have to realize that dangerous situations can happen, like it happened to me. When a player is facing the boards and a little bit away from the boards, you can't shove him from behind like that," said the Nagano Olympic champion.

"When I was young, I also experienced the death of Luděk Čajka in Zlín. The rules changed because of that and it turned out exactly the same. There are a lot of dangerous situations in hockey, and one day it can go really bad. And it doesn't matter that it was me, it's not about that," Jagr added.

His Knights still have preliminary games against Liberec and Litvínov. Kladno will host Vítkovice next Friday in the first round of the extra league. Whether the legendary 68 will be on the ice remains a question.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 02, 2021 8:47 pm

Video of that hit.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Sep 02, 2021 10:56 pm

Video of that hit.

Here it is in HD

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Sep 02, 2021 11:59 pm

Here it is in Russian