Home Improvement Thread

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 11:28 am

For those with mold problems on fences or siding, try using 30 Seconds Outdoor Cleaner. My BIL just used it with a normal hose and he was able to get mold off his siding to the point where it looked like new.
Where were you 24 hours ago, man?! I use Simple Green, which I'm not sure actually does anything anymore.
Are you running ethanol free gas in it? Do you have to mix oil with the gas?
If you're asking me, no, using pump gas that has up to 10% ethanol in it. The Ryobi has a fuel shut off valve, which is the only reason I'm not using the ethanol-free stuff. It's also a 4-cycle, so no mixing gas and oil.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:22 pm

@meow: Just grabbed this hose. I'll let you know how it works out.

King Colby

Home Improvement Thread

Postby King Colby » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:19 pm

Yuuuup. I did about 700 feet of fence line and a bunch of patio furniture yesterday. It’s just so damn satisfying
Which pressure washer did you end up going with? After yesterday, I need to upgrade so that I don't spend as much time doing it. For the fence, I basically only have a 2" wide stream before it's too weak, so I need something where I can make one pass with at least a 6" wide stream. That would save me hours of time, and probably a hell of a lot of water.
I went to buy a Simpson but they were out of stock. I went with Ryobi’s 2,900 psi gas one. Amazing
This one? It's the model I was looking to buy, actually: https://www.homedepot.com/p/RYOBI-2-900 ... /314110918
Yes sir. Easy assembly and easy to start
I have that one too. Can't decide whether that or my backpack leaf blower is the best thing Ive ever bought.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:56 pm

I bought on the spot from Window Nation. Came out to $600 per window, which isn’t that bad.
How long ago and what sized windows?

We’re in a house where the previous owners just did upkeep because they were saving for a forever home. About the only major thing they did was put in a fence.

Over the next couple years we’re going to replace doors, replace windows, replace flooring, replace the roof, replace the deck. Gonna be a fun and expensive few years.
We’re about halfway through a similar experience replacing major items. I want to say this was December 2018 we did the windows. The majority of the windows are 3’ x 4’ but they just gave us a flat rate at the end. All in all we had something like 36 windows, which included quite a bit of half moon windows.

What helped us was the on-the-spot signing and saying we’d pay in cash. I think the cash thing was a big one for them

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:44 am

Well it seems like we are going to bite the bullet and get the driveway replaced. Got 4 bids and they range from $9,500 to $15,500.

Think we are going to go with the one in the middle with the company who has 30+ years experience and not a bad review anywhere from what I can see. Plus the owner has been very good with answering any questions/concerns I have had either via email or phone, and sent over an actual written bid laying out exactly what they are going to do.

Just waiting to hear back on timeframe and sending over an initial 1/3rd deposit to get things going...

King Colby

Home Improvement Thread

Postby King Colby » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:49 am

You won't regret it. I fkn love my driveway. Even more so when my neighbors are getting their asphalt refinished every year.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:32 am

Local lumber company is also a Thermatru sales location. I e-mailed them this morning with the exact door the dude came over and quoted me for @13.5K (with install and all that jazz). They got back to me within an hour with a quote for 3K. More than half of that cost is in the sidelights that are ventable.

So Renewal by anderson was going to essentially charge 10K for installation of the new door and disposal of the old door. lol, nah bro.... I'll just buy the door and hire a handy man to help me do it. Or just have my dad come help me install it.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:35 am

Doors can be a major pain in the ass to install.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:42 am

10k worth of pain in the ass?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Home Improvement Thread

Postby meow » Mon Apr 26, 2021 10:46 am

Depends how big your ass is

Kane

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Kane » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:14 am

That sounds much more reasonable, lol.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:16 am

Definitely. My parents are having their double doors refinished (fill in many cracks and holes, then stained), and that's going to run them $2500 or so.

scb147

Home Improvement Thread

Postby scb147 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 11:48 am

Got our first quote on an entry door... 13k. Holy hell. I’ll be finding an additional quote or two.
Oh good, it's just not me... I had Pella come in to give a quote on replacing a basic 2-panel 9 Lite 36x80 door, nothing fancy, and the 30x80 door between my house and garage, which is just a windowless door (had to be fireproof). Quote was $8k!? Completely ridiculous.

count2infinity

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:33 pm

I think what I’ve taken from this experience is ask for an itemized quote. Okay, that’s the total cost. Where is that money going? If I’m spending thousands on this, show me where it’s going.

robbiestoupe

Home Improvement Thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Apr 26, 2021 1:50 pm

I think what I’ve taken from this experience is ask for an itemized quote. Okay, that’s the total cost. Where is that money going? If I’m spending thousands on this, show me where it’s going.
That’s the one thing I’ve taken from my professional experience into my personal life. Always ask for itemization.

Nuge

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Nuge » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:06 pm

Local lumber company is also a Thermatru sales location. I e-mailed them this morning with the exact door the dude came over and quoted me for @13.5K (with install and all that jazz). They got back to me within an hour with a quote for 3K. More than half of that cost is in the sidelights that are ventable.

So Renewal by anderson was going to essentially charge 10K for installation of the new door and disposal of the old door. lol, nah bro.... I'll just buy the door and hire a handy man to help me do it. Or just have my dad come help me install it.
If you're talking about Lezzers, they usually offer installation as well. We had them do some work on our house and have been pleased with the quality and prices.

scb147

Home Improvement Thread

Postby scb147 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:11 pm

lol, Pella dude didn't even give me the quote on paper or via email. I'm not hunting him down to get it anyways, but I guess it would have been nice to see the itemization.

count2infinity

Home Improvement Thread

Postby count2infinity » Mon Apr 26, 2021 2:38 pm

If you're talking about Lezzers, they usually offer installation as well. We had them do some work on our house and have been pleased with the quality and prices.
Yup... Lezzers. Stopped in to the store and chatted a bit with the guy that quoted it out for me and we went over some stuff. Bumped the price up to 3.5K due to some custom stuff that needs done due to our dimensions of the entryway. Still, that's 10K shy of what Renewal by anderson gave me, so i'll take it. Even just hiring a handyman or contractor to come help me with install, it'll be within budget.

Good to hear they have good quality.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:41 am

Sent off a $250 hold and the signed contract for our driveway this morning to get us on the schedule. They are booked until July. Sounds like he is going to get us in early-mid july as it stands now. Says will ask for 1/3rd once we get closer to the date and they start ordering materials then the balance after job is complete.

10k is a big number, but I'm sure will look fantastic once it's done.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:45 am

Yeah, that's because of how labor intensive concrete is. I could re-do my asphalt driveway multiple times before ever hitting your number, but it's all personal preference.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:49 am

My wife was not being sold on asphalt no matter what. I could have been convinced either way, but after some back and forth we decided since we just bought the house and we plan to be here for 20+ years that we would spend the extra money and do concrete.

Kane

Home Improvement Thread

Postby Kane » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:50 am

Yeah, concrete work is a pain. I helped my FIL redo their front walk, and it certainly wasn't my favorite job. Although I did learn how to make all the different curved edges amd such, so I got that going for me. Which is nice.

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:51 am

I enjoyed watching the crew form and pour my stamped concrete patio in the back. That was pretty damn cool, especially the stamping. Thought it was odd at first that they poured the steps separately, then it clicked that it's just another way to handle freeze/thaw and shifting. The relief lines cut into the patio have done their job.

skullman80

Home Improvement Thread

Postby skullman80 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:53 am

Spending 10k on a driveway does put a hold on a backyard fence, and possibly epoxying the garage floor now though...

NTP66

Home Improvement Thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:56 am

I still love my epoxy garage floor. 1000% worth it in the future, IMO.