Everything golf

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:50 pm

Did he withdraw because he’s a **** douchebag?

King Colby

Everything golf

Postby King Colby » Tue Apr 13, 2021 1:03 am

Tough to watch the last few holes from Xander. Woof
16 was painful, especially because after 15 it seemed like things were gonna get interesting. He said he hit a good shot and the wind just took it, but man, do you really need to be taking that aggressive of a line there? The majority of aces there are landed towards the middle of the green and filter down.

Crazy that Zalatoris only lost by a single stroke.
He still needed to make up 2 strokes in 3 holes so yes he did need to take an aggressive line

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:37 am

https://www.news.com.au/sport/golf/gary ... f1e4c29c0d
Wayne Player, the son of South African golfing legend Gary Player, has reportedly been banned from The Masters following a suspected publicity stunt during the competition’s opening ceremony last week.

The 58-year-old came under scrutiny for an assumed marketing ploy while American golf icon Lee Elder was being honoured at Augusta National on Thursday morning.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Tue Apr 13, 2021 10:46 am

good

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Apr 13, 2021 11:01 am

good
Yeah that was an absurdly crass thing to do.

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:01 pm

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:15 pm

I wouldn't have even noticed if I wasn't looking for something.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:16 pm

It’s really bad form, but I do think it’s silly that there are people around him wearing clothing with overt product placement on them and that’s ok

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Everything golf

Postby LITT » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:23 pm

I wouldn't have even noticed if I wasn't looking for something.
this. thankful for the second tweet because i had no idea what i was looking for

Dickie Dunn

Everything golf

Postby Dickie Dunn » Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:26 pm

Also, Marc Player was just sued by his father over $5MM a couple years ago. Entire family full of jagoffs.

shafnutz05

Everything golf

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 1:31 pm

Conners is one hell of a ball striker...shot a 64 today with a double bogey on his card.

Stewart Cink continues to turn back the clock as well. Had his best finish at Augusta (T12) since 2008, and is tied for the lead at the RBC.

dodint

Everything golf

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 16, 2021 8:48 pm

Hah, I took my 21 year old 4-iron to Dicks to have it repaired, I must've whacked it against a tree or something and it was bent about three inches above the club head.

Turns out they don't have the correct kind of shaft in their system so they're sending it to Ping in Arizona to have it repaired and Ping is going to send it back directly to my house. Kind of a backdoor warranty repair from the turn of the century since I'm still only paying the Dicks repair cost.
Got this back today. It looks brand new, pretty crazy. It's not just clean, the finish on the head is fully restored to its original luster. It's beautiful.

Makes me want to bend the rest of them.

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:53 pm

Actually starting to feel the weight of having a wretched short game. I think when you are still working on ball striking and figuring all those things out, the weaknesses in the short game feel less relevant. I've been keeping close track of the strokes i make on each hole the past number of rounds, and today I shot an 85 at rolling green and had 43 putts.

Lesson of course being that you can't really play for score until you figure out putting.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Everything golf

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Sun Apr 18, 2021 8:58 pm

I golfed 9 for the first time since my swing lessons. I changed my grip to the interlocked and I didn’t know if I should interlock on putts too. Needless to say I putted like I was at Augusta National

dodint would’ve made an angry post if he saw how bad I missed on some of the putts

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:09 pm

I am just completely baffled right now on how far forward in my stance I want the ball to be. There is also something where I am aimed almost a foot to the right of where I think I am aimed, and whenever I try to correct that, I overcorrect.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:21 pm

I am just completely baffled right now on how far forward in my stance I want the ball to be. There is also something where I am aimed almost a foot to the right of where I think I am aimed, and whenever I try to correct that, I overcorrect.
It's not allowed in competition but for a friendly, casual round, stand behind your ball and lay a club down next to your ball pointing at your target. Then use the shaft of that club lying on the ground as an alignment tool. Do it enough times and you'll learn the muscle memory. When you're at the range, do the same thing. If you ever see pros on the range, you'll often see them laying shafts down around the ball and/or their feet and those help their alignment.

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:33 pm

It's not allowed in competition but for a friendly, casual round, stand behind your ball and lay a club down next to your ball pointing at your target. Then use the shaft of that club lying on the ground as an alignment tool. Do it enough times and you'll learn the muscle memory. When you're at the range, do the same thing. If you ever see pros on the range, you'll often see them laying shafts down around the ball and/or their feet and those help their alignment.

Sadly, that was actually in reference to my putting stance. But also, tips like that are always helpful

MrKennethTKangaroo

Everything golf

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Sun Apr 18, 2021 10:48 pm

Sadly, that was actually in reference to my putting stance. But also, tips like that are always helpful
For putts within 15 feet, i purposefully line the ball up off my big to on my left foot and dont even try to align my right foot at all. I figured the best way to eliminate my alignment problems on short putts was to not even both with alignment at all. So i just make sure my left foot is lined up with the hole and ignore my right. It probably messes with my stroke, but i like it. Then again I’m awful at putting, but it wasn’t always that way.

Now if you will excuse me I’m going to spend more time on a sunday night to cherry pick stats and argue about vaccine rates of extremely rural parts of the country.

Orlando Penguin

Everything golf

Postby Orlando Penguin » Mon Apr 19, 2021 12:41 am

Does your putter have a line on the top of the blade over the middle? If so, use the label on the equator of the ball as your ‘arrow’. Find your line of the putt, line the ball’s label up with that line you want to take, and then square up the line on the putter blade so it forms a 90 degree angle with the line on the ball. Rock your shoulders and release. Then if it really goes offline, you can see your fault is technique or stroke and not aim. That is, unless you have problems reading greens.

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Apr 19, 2021 11:35 am

Does your putter have a line on the top of the blade over the middle? If so, use the label on the equator of the ball as your ‘arrow’. Find your line of the putt, line the ball’s label up with that line you want to take, and then square up the line on the putter blade so it forms a 90 degree angle with the line on the ball. Rock your shoulders and release. Then if it really goes offline, you can see your fault is technique or stroke and not aim. That is, unless you have problems reading greens.
This is very helpful. This is what I needed, and didn't know it, a method for self-diagnosing.

I just did a quick tally, my last 7 rounds I am averaging an 88 with 39.17 putts per round. I think simply a consistent sound approach easily knocks 4 strokes off per round to get to around 35.

MR25

Everything golf

Postby MR25 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:44 pm

Got domed by an errant shot while standing on the 12th tee at North Park. I ducked when he yelled fore but the ball had eyes.

I went par-birdie-par on the next 3 holes though, so I had that going for me

genoscoif

Everything golf

Postby genoscoif » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:10 pm

Actually starting to feel the weight of having a wretched short game. I think when you are still working on ball striking and figuring all those things out, the weaknesses in the short game feel less relevant. I've been keeping close track of the strokes i make on each hole the past number of rounds, and today I shot an 85 at rolling green and had 43 putts.

Lesson of course being that you can't really play for score until you figure out putting.
85 with 43 putts means you're doing really well with GIR, I'd venture to guess. :thumb:

Putting and chipping are always the last phases of my game to round into shape each season. For me, those are so much more feel related than a normal swing mechanic. They also require the most adjustment round to round depending on the green conditions (on and around).

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:30 pm

I putted for birdie off of a green yesterday and then made a double bogey. I've never been more pissed on a course

willeyeam

Everything golf

Postby willeyeam » Sun Apr 25, 2021 2:31 pm

*triple bogey. That was after I tripled #1. +6 through two was feeling gr8

Troy Loney

Everything golf

Postby Troy Loney » Sun Apr 25, 2021 3:05 pm

85 with 43 putts means you're doing really well with GIR, I'd venture to guess. :thumb:

Putting and chipping are always the last phases of my game to round into shape each season. For me, those are so much more feel related than a normal swing mechanic. They also require the most adjustment round to round depending on the green conditions (on and around).
10 GIR, that's reaching one par 5 in 2 and driving the green on a par 4 (then putting 5 times for birdie / par)

I think 75% of my issue with the putter is that I've been changing my putting approach every round. I need to just adopt some standard approach to get a better handle on where it's going to go coming off the face and focus on speed to just play for two putts.

The wedge thing might be more complicated, I think I need to play around with some more lofted clubs, the highest loft in my bag is the SW at 54 and I basically use that for every shot 80 yards. I need to understand how to approach different lies, basically lofted up in the grass where I can get under it easily is the only chip I can really control atm.