Job and General Employment Thread

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:26 pm

I went into teaching and was out by end of first semester. I knew that quick it wasn't for me and not a day goes by where I think "Gee, I wish I was still teaching."

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:29 pm

Come June, I'm a decade removed from my high school teaching career. Best decision I EVER made... and I married a 10/10 hottie. That's how good of a decision it was to leave teaching.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:30 pm

Did your school have a policy that teachers couldn't marry students or something...?

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:31 pm

Well... every high school has that policy...

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:32 pm

Not mine, apparently. Four girls that I graduated with went on to marry a high school teacher. It was a well known "secret" that these girls were dating their teachers while still in school.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:32 pm

You're from the middle of nowhere, so I thought it was a toss-up...

EDIT: See...so you didn't have to quit to keep dating your wife, c2i...YUGE mistake...

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:36 pm

Mrs S took the year off from work, and is going back to teaching in the fall. Good benefits and convenient schedule in exchange for her slave labor.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:38 pm

My brother quit engineering to become a teacher. He's told me recently that he thinks he may have made a mistake and perhaps should have tried some other types of electrical engineering before changing professions. Summers off isn't the perk it's worked up to be.

And DG66, he taught in Greenville for a year and those stories were true there as well. He couldn't wait to get out of there.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:38 pm

Not mine, apparently. Four girls that I graduated with went on to marry a high school teacher. It was a well known "secret" that these girls were dating their teachers while still in school.
One of the couples from our class are still married, so, good for them! High school sweethearts. So nice.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:43 pm

Source of the post High school sweethearts.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:43 pm

Mrs S took the year off from work, and is going back to teaching in the fall. Good benefits and convenient schedule in exchange for her slave labor.
Teachers are charged with developing all of our country's prospects...and yet, we're basically the Edmonton Oilers as a whole...or the Buffalo Sabres, since we're so cheap about how we go about filling our organization's staff...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:51 pm

My cousin ended her dream of becoming an oncologist due to sticker shock and became a high school biology and chemistry teacher instead. Great school district with good pay and regrets her decision every day. PA at least has generally good teacher pay. I know down in meow land the teacher pay is notoriously shitty, especially given the economic development over the past couple decades.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:52 pm

Teachers are charged with developing all of our country's prospects...and yet, we're basically the Edmonton Oilers as a whole...or the Buffalo Sabres, since we're so cheap about how we go about filling our organization's staff...
up until recently, it's been a highly competitive field of work in our area. you have a lot of highly engaged, highly educated people vying for limited spots. and for every open position, there are several educated women making 15 bucks an hour as educational assistants ready to step in. the talent pipeline has been more like the red wings 90's/00's red wings (but with Bylsma-level management).

but it's becoming out of fashion. i don't know if any of our teacher friends would suggest it as a career to a college student. they definitely would have 10 years ago. not now. it's become an atrocious profession

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:53 pm

Bro... we staff our public schools like we're the goddamn Johnstown Chiefs and are shocked we don't end up with a country full of Sidney Crosbys (I feel weird typing that plural... is it Crosbies? Crosben? Crosbi? Or is Crosby the plural?)

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 1:55 pm

teachers are generally good imo. the framework in which they exist is very bad imo.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:00 pm

It is straight up terrible how teachers are treated and paid in NC. Ya boy meow is smarter than the average bear and I do important work (and not “yay my boss gave me a gold star” important work). But I bring home nearly $8 for everyone $1 mrs meow brings home. That is ridiculous and sad and discouraging and a bunch of other negative adjectives. She works harder, is smarter, and better at her job than I am at mine. Banana lands.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:02 pm

Bro... we staff our public schools like we're the goddamn Johnstown Chiefs and are shocked we don't end up with a country full of Sidney Crosbys (I feel weird typing that plural... is it Crosbies? Crosben? Crosbi? Or is Crosby the plural?)
Crosbies, Stills', and Nashes.

I went to public school. In the south.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:03 pm

They've done a decent job of increasing the starting salaries for most districts, and you are (generally) guaranteed a step increase and cost of living increase most years (although those do get frozen in some districts), but it's still pretty low.

I've said this before ITT, I have an employee that's been here since 1985 or something. She gets paid about the same as a first-year teacher in our district. It's embarrassing. Could you imagine working somewhere for 35 years and have the same salary as the poorly paid public school educations in the area? Ugh.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:22 pm

My semester of teaching was in a north carolina school. Glad to see nothing has changed.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:28 pm

i've always lived in a place that takes my tax money and provides welfare to red and purple states. i wouldn't mind if they took more of it to level the playing field with education and infrastructure. it's not sustainable that the south is an educational cesspool. it's just gonna wedge us further apart. fix it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 15, 2021 2:30 pm

Source of the post i've always lived in a place that takes my tax money and provides welfare to red and purple states.
Turtle man thanks you for your assistance.

Kane

Postby Kane » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:19 am

Watching the Town Hall Zoom event for our uni. The buzzwords are fast and flying.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:41 am

:lol: We, of course, have a consultant group working with our campus on a few things, including developing a new strategic plan. We've had several of these town hall meetings with them over the academic year, and they are just full of buzzwords and higher ed-speak nonsense. I had to shut my camera off at one of these because I was afraid I would get caught eye rolling and laughing too much.

It's like those two consultants on Office Space. Just blowhards trying to sound smart. :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:46 pm

New meeting policies went into place this week. No meetings on Fridays at all now (used to be noon-5pm), all hour long meetings should be changed to 45 minutes max unless it’s urgent or for a major project, and 30 minute meetings changed to 25. Part of the driver here is that we have so many meetings now that nobody has a chance to breathe in between them. Surprised they enacted this, but it’s good to see.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:47 pm

Hmph, interesting...

Subscribing to hear results.