Fantasy Hockey Discussion

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Jan 31, 2016 8:45 am

I'd do it, you will have to address your goaltending at some point soon anyhow...and Nash is the far better asset moving forward than Ramo...always bet on skill...

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Sun Jan 31, 2016 9:24 am

I'd do it, you will have to address your goaltending at some point soon anyhow...and Nash is the far better asset moving forward than Ramo...always bet on skill...
Thanks. I agree that something needs done in the nets soon and Nash helps me more to do that.

Interestingly, I have the second most points from goalies (it's a H2H Points league) on the season. Volume from mediocre goalies has been effective for me.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Jan 31, 2016 12:16 pm

Luongo has been damn near a Vezina candidate this year. And Andy's best (if you can pick those games) is pretty insane...it's his consistency that blows. And I like Halak in any situation.

It's probably too late now, but rolling out a red carpet of assets for Allen, Mrazek or Vasilevskiy would be highly advisable...

Craig

Postby Craig » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:15 pm

Im eating vasilevski on my roster and i dont know that i can keep him if hes still a backup another year.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Sun Jan 31, 2016 1:18 pm

Luongo has been damn near a Vezina candidate this year. And Andy's best (if you can pick those games) is pretty insane...it's his consistency that blows. And I like Halak in any situation.

It's probably too late now, but rolling out a red carpet of assets for Allen, Mrazek or Vasilevskiy would be highly advisable...
Yeah, Lou's much better than mediocre. The other two, at least in terms of fp/g are middle of the pack.

The Vasi owner is crazy over him. I tried for two years to acquire him because I had Bishop. No luck, so eventually I just dealt Bishop to him.
The Mrazek owner is a Detroit fan, so that won't happen.
The Allen owner is reasonable--that's the only one that is a possibility, I'd say.

I've given some thought to swapping the Sens trio or Halak for Bernier and a big upgrade at another position, but I can't really justify that with aspirations of a championship this year.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Wed Feb 10, 2016 3:11 pm

ME Vlasic on-ice shooting % is up over 10%, which leads me to believe that this point surge this year is not something he's going to keep up. But the guy is only 28 years old, so maybe his game is rounding out?

Anyone have anything anecdotal to suggest that his increased presence in the box score this year is something that will continue?

Craig

Postby Craig » Wed Feb 10, 2016 4:03 pm

I dont know. Its annoying though, i was expecting it last year.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Mon Feb 22, 2016 8:28 am

Turris is killing me in a keeper. 8 points in 29 games after he came out of the gates great this year. His value seems to be mud too. What is wrong with this dude?

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 22, 2016 11:02 am

The Senators are horrid. They're just an easy team to stop, except Karlsson.

Hoffman-Turris-Stone
Dzingel-Zibanejad-Ryan

That's the top six!

Hoffman has a really good shot, but he's easy to knock off the puck...Turris we all know, Stone is extremely smart but very slow. Z-bad hasn't really turned the corner. Ryan looks good to me, but he's not enough to lead a team...they went from 3 NHL d-men to 4 after acquiring Dion Phaneuf, so there's that...but they still dress a pairing of Borowiecki-Weircioch...I mean, what can you do with that...?

This team is cheeks...

Plus, his real partner in crime is Clarke MacArthur, who hasn't played this season just about...that's his Kunitz...

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Mon Feb 22, 2016 5:57 pm

Looks like I'm going to move Faulk, Nash, and Ryan for Malkin and Jagr. Hope JJ holds up the rest of the year. Malkin should really help me on the few days during the 2-week final that almost every team plays. The depth of my team won't help me on those days, so I'll go with the higher per game upset.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Feb 22, 2016 6:19 pm

You gotta pay to play, and that's a steal to get a player like Evgeni Malkin like that...it sucks to lose Justin Faulk though, kid is a stud. But Malkin, arguably the best player in the world, and the best piece you give is a defenseman...you gotta do it...Jagr or no Jagr...

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Sat Feb 27, 2016 10:42 pm

Yep, I pulled the trigger on that deal. Very happy with it.

Now in my other league it's become clear that I will miss the playoffs, so I am looking to sell. I am discussing a deal involving trading my Lundqvist. The centerpiece of the deal with Team A is Stamkos. The centerpiece of the deal with Team B is Tyler Johnson or Matt Duchene (my pick). The rest of the deal is better with Team B, so I'm really trying to evaluate the three players I mentioned.

First of all, Tyler Johnson or Matt Duchene over the next two seasons. Second, how much between Stamkos and Duchene/Johnson during those seasons.

Craig

Postby Craig » Sat Feb 27, 2016 11:22 pm

Id rather have duchene than johnson for sure. I feel confident saying that last spring was the highlight of johnson's career. I think he'll be a fine second line center and that line can remain good if they keep it intact, but duchene's ceiling is ppg. Johnson's is not.

I love matt duchene so id go that way assuming the rest of the deal is significantly better. When Stamkos walks to the Leafs...hes on the leafs.

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Feb 28, 2016 12:19 am

I think I'd rather have Duchene as well, he's a known commodity and very consistent. Though he only seems to have one go to move for shooting off the rush, which always worries me...

That said, I would not want to liquidate one of my best or my best asset(s)...quality > quantity in fantasy sports as you know. The elite production is what you need, the above average production is what you can find...Duchene and Johnson probably have 0 or 1 top-10 finishes in points combined in their careers...

Stamkos has four top-5 finishes in points, Stamkos will finish this "poor" season top-10 in goals anyhow...he has done so every year he's played except his rookie year and the year he broke his leg and even those seasons challenged Duchene's career high in goals...five top-2 goals finishes in the last seven years and he's a hot streak away from challenging for a sixth...

As much as I wouldn't invest $12 mil a year in him in free agency, he's still a fantasy stud...I'd gamble on him before gambling on a deal that contained both Duchene and Johnson, much less one or the other...

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:08 pm

I think I have settled on the Stamkos side. I have to decide between Monahan and Ehlers coming back in the deal.

I think position and upside suggest Ehlers. Monahan's 31/31 season last year is impressive, but I don't know that he has a very high celing?

mikey

Postby mikey » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:15 pm

Ehlers is awesome...I mean, Monahan is just fine and all, good two-way guy, not an amazing skill set, but maybe like a Derek Stepan type...Ehlers has unreal upside...but not as high of a floor...

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Sun Feb 28, 2016 5:23 pm

Yeah, that was pretty much my read. Thanks.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Sun Feb 28, 2016 7:59 pm

Boom. I was able to get Duchene in a separate deal. Crosby, Getzlaf, Stamkos, Duchene, Pacioretty, Parise. Should have lots of firepower if things go right--which they didn't for that group this year.

Craig

Postby Craig » Sun Feb 28, 2016 8:06 pm

Love monahan the nhl player. Couldnt care a whole lot less about the fantasy player.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:45 pm

I apparently have the touch of death for any fantasy team I run. I took over Kicksave's ESPN dynasty league team back in December. Only Sergei Bobrovsky was on IR at the time.

As of today, 9 out of my 24 rostered skaters are either on IR or day-to-day with various injuries. I actually ran out of IR slots to use. I have 1 bench player who is not hurt.

I have no luck.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Fri Sep 30, 2016 9:58 am

Fantrax really slashed dual positions this off-season after getting a little carried away with them in prior seasons. I'm left with a bunch of centers and leftwingers, and RW is really weak. I have Pastrnak and Ehlers on my farm team (and I guess Bjorkstrand), but I don't know that they are ready to be RW3s (12-team) this year?

Pickings will be slim in the draft. I'm looking for some sleeper options among these RWers. Anyone with strong opinions?

Silfverberg, Jakob
Williams, Justin
Smith, Reilly
Doan, Shane
Stempniak, Lee
Jagr, Jaromir
Purcell, Teddy
Vanek, Thomas
Stafford, Drew
Hayes, Kevin
Parenteau, Pierre-Alexandre
Pominville, Jason
Shaw, Andrew
Ward, Joel
Komarov, Leo
Frolik, Michael
Hemsky, Ales
Hansen, Jannik
Laine, Patrik
Burrows, Alexandre
Hayes, Jimmy
Gionta, Brian
Brown, Dustin
Bailey, Josh
Bennett, Beau
Stewart, Chris
Andrighetto, Sven
Gagner, Sam
Read, Matt

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Sep 30, 2016 10:07 am

I drafted the entire Ehlers-Schiefele-Wheeler line in a one-year, 10-team league...could be the line of the year (I could eat those words...) Ehlers is ready.

Komarov, depending on format, is worth a look...as he gets hits and PIMs and bullspit like that...Laine is worth a look for sure...Jagr did lead his team in scoring last year...Silfverberg can really shoot it, you never know if he's going to find his stride, but of all those guys, he can probably score from furthest out...

And for the lulz, early returns show Beau Bennett being paired with the Taylor Hall-Adam Henrique duo...just sayin'...Bennett, if you don't know, is a former first round pick of the Penguins but has been oft-injured...

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:09 pm

Thanks.

Well, I'm happy to hear your enthusiasm for the Jets. If Ehlers can fill one of my RW spots this year, that would be huge for me.

Komarov is another on my radar because we do count hits, blocks, etc. Injury derailed a great season last year towards the end. Perhaps it was anomolous from a production standpoint, but he almost seems like a Steen:Hitchock type player for Babcock. Not as offensively-gifted but more physical so he could be equally productive if he continues to be a player that Babcock trusts in all roles like he was for that very productive stretch last year.

lol Bennett...

I know how you feel about PAP, but the reunion with Tavares has me at least considering taking a flyer on him late.

Rangers seem too deep/diversified for Hayes to make a fantasy impact, but he is a player that looked solid in some games I saw last year.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Sep 30, 2016 5:48 pm

Hayes is a long shot. If you're looking for fun long shots, go with Pavel Buchnevich...not sure what wing they're gonna list him at/play him at...

Similarly, if you need a RW. You can do it in three easy steps...
1. Find link to story about Kucherov not showing up for camp
2. Send link to current Kucherov owner
3. Become current Kucherov owner.

Kraftster

Postby Kraftster » Fri Sep 30, 2016 11:12 pm

Yeah, I own Stamkos and Palat in this league, so I probably won't pursue Kuch, but I am in my other league.

I just made a couple deals in this league to address the RW and G problems I had. I dealt Parise (had 5 LWs) for Neal. I traded Matt Duchene (had 5 Cs), Jonathan Bernier, 4th overall (Wheeler just went there) and 18th overall (roughly Bobby Ryan or MZA?) for Jake Allen, Matt Murray, and Gustav Nyqusit (RW), and then I selected Voracek at 7th overall in the draft (huge drop off after him--next RW to go will be Palmieri, Ryan, MZA probably).

Crosby/Getzlaf/Stamkos/Little
Pacioretty/E Kane/Palat/Boedker
Voracek/Neal/Nyquist
Hedman/Kronwall
Allen/Lehtonen/Niemi

Farm:
Ehlers/Pastrnak/Bjorkstrand/B Ritchie
Parayko/Theodore/Montour
Murray/Brossoit/Michalek

I think I'm better off for this. I was pretty desperate at G. I really wanted Wheeler (even tried to trade up from 7 to 4 after dealing 4), but if I hadn't made the goalie deal, I would've had to take Jaro Halak at 4th, so I wouldn't have even gotten Wheeler anyway.

I still have 17th, 29th, 35th overall picks coming up to hopefully address my starting D holes and add a third goalie (maybe Pavelec on a short-term deal).