Randomness Dos

nocera

Randomness Dos

Postby nocera » Wed May 15, 2024 6:36 pm

We go to El Campesino pretty regularly, which is a local chain. I’ll **** with Texas Roadhouse anytime I see one. Those chicken critters are amazing. Or the steak kabob. And obviously that cinnamon butter is ridiculous. I won’t say no to a Waffle House either.

MR25

Randomness Dos

Postby MR25 » Wed May 15, 2024 6:46 pm

If BJs Brewhouse counts, I enjoy their beers and the Nashville Hot Chicken sandwich isn't half bad.

Texas Roadhouse is also good.

Pavel Bure

Randomness Dos

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed May 15, 2024 6:52 pm

If BJs Brewhouse counts, I enjoy their beers and the Nashville Hot Chicken sandwich isn't half bad.

Texas Roadhouse is also good.
I meant Texas Roadhouse. Long Horn can kick rocks.

Shyster

Randomness Dos

Postby Shyster » Wed May 15, 2024 6:54 pm

Depends on what we mean by "chain restaurant." I mean, if I want a burger, I have no problem going to Wendy's or Five Guys or some fast-food place like that. If we're talking specially about the category of sit-down restaurants that are generally given the label of "casual dining" in the restaurant industry—which includes Red Lobster and places like Applebee's, Buffalo Wild Wings, The Cheesecake Factory, Chili's, Eat'n Park, Olive Garden, Bob Evan's, etc.—then no, I don't usually frequent those places because there are plenty of local non-chain sit-down restaurants I could go to. An exception would be Primanti Bros., what with the local connection and all, and maybe Quaker Steak & Lube, although I think they closed all of the QS&L locations around here.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Randomness Dos

Postby meow » Wed May 15, 2024 7:00 pm

the only "chain" restaurants I go to are chick-fil-a and chipotle.

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 15, 2024 7:08 pm

I took my date to Red Lobster on senior prom night. That is probably the last time I've been to Red Lobster.

Mrs Tif likes Chili's for some reason, but we haven't been to one in probably 5 or 6 years. I used to work near both an Olive Garden and an Outback, so those were common 'workplace celebration lunch' locations when you had to feed 8-10 people at the same time. Red Robin and Island's were fun places for kid's birthdays.

dodint

Randomness Dos

Postby dodint » Wed May 15, 2024 7:20 pm

I had my first of-age alcoholic drink at a Red Lobster. A Long Island Iced Tea on my 21st birthday.

Kaiser

Randomness Dos

Postby Kaiser » Wed May 15, 2024 7:32 pm

I'm a sucker for Red Robin burgers. The closest one to me is always perfect.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Randomness Dos

Postby meow » Wed May 15, 2024 7:38 pm

oh and mrs. meow gets an insane amount of starbucks gift cards from her students, so we go there frequently, but I haven't actually spent a dime there in years.

MWB

Randomness Dos

Postby MWB » Wed May 15, 2024 7:43 pm

do any of yall like going to any chain restaurants?

The only one I ever have any desire to go to is Dave and Busters and only because of the arcade games
Some chains like viva chicken are decent. Most of the sit down and order ones I’m not crazy about.

faftorial

Randomness Dos

Postby faftorial » Wed May 15, 2024 7:47 pm

do any of yall like going to any chain restaurants?

The only one I ever have any desire to go to is Dave and Busters and only because of the arcade games
It's typically microwaved frozen food so no.

King Colby

Randomness Dos

Postby King Colby » Wed May 15, 2024 8:06 pm

I had a STACK of Starbucks gift cards from my wife and neither of us like their coffee. So I gave the entire stack to my nanny and she told me it was like $450

DigitalGypsy66

Randomness Dos

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed May 15, 2024 8:12 pm

I overheard the funniest conversation about Starbucks the other day. My wife and I were eating at a (local) pizza place. A guy was there waiting on a to-go order, and mentioned to the cashier about the new Starbucks across the street. And how they have one near every college campus and how stupid it was they didn't have one sooner (this was right outside of my campus, where we have a Starbucks in my building. I kept quiet.)

He then goes on to say that he's never had Starbucks and never will. And he's never touched hand sanitizer. He lived through the 1980s, he doesn't need hand sanitizer. Out of the blue, bragging about not using hand sanitizer...so very strange.

tifosi77

Randomness Dos

Postby tifosi77 » Wed May 15, 2024 9:01 pm

Ooh, one more that I'd add: PF Chang's. I actually like that one.

blackjack68

Randomness Dos

Postby blackjack68 » Wed May 15, 2024 11:08 pm

Tommy’s Tavern and Tap has not disappointed.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Randomness Dos

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed May 15, 2024 11:39 pm

yall are right about the difference between sit down and counter-order restaurants. I do like Cava and Blaze pizza but the idea of going to really any sit down chain gives me shivers

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 16, 2024 6:08 am

Source of the post the idea of going to really any sit down chain gives me shivers

Kane

Randomness Dos

Postby Kane » Thu May 16, 2024 7:14 am

Yeah, that's dumb.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Randomness Dos

Postby iamjs » Thu May 16, 2024 7:18 am

for sit-down type of chain restaurants, there's a B-Dubs near my office that I used to frequent about twice a month prior to COVID. If I got there early enough, I could be there and back within the hour. But once COVID hit, it's been more of a once every few months thing. I think it may have to do with them switching their Tuesday wing special.

There's also a Burgatory near the office, but that usually ends up being a 90 minute lunch. I usually try not to do that one unless we have visitors from another office. Same can be said for Primanti's. We'll get visitors who ask about "the place where they put fries on the sandwiches", so we give them the Primanti's experience. Although I will say I'll occasionally stop by there for a cheesesteak since it's big enough to have for lunch and dinner.

I'll hit up Mad Mex occasionally, but that's more of a happy hour spot to meet friends than it is a place to go for dinner.
He then goes on to say that he's never had Starbucks and never will. And he's never touched hand sanitizer. He lived through the 1980s, he doesn't need hand sanitizer. Out of the blue, bragging about not using hand sanitizer...so very strange.
The best/worst thing about the pandemic is the amount of hand sanitizer I use now.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:21 am

Source of the post I'll hit up Mad Mex occasionally
Man, we had a Max Mex right around the corner from me and it was great when it opened. Then they turned over staff and it all went to **** - service was non-existent, food went downhill, etc. They closed down last year permanently after being closed for 6 months 'temporarily', and I am 100% positive it was because of the issues I just mentioned, and not 'the economy' like some said.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:22 am

Fun fact: I occasionally e-mail Primanti Bros. with addresses of newly vacant restaurant spaces in my area because I want them to open a location nearby. I will make this happen. :lol:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Randomness Dos

Postby count2infinity » Thu May 16, 2024 7:30 am

I think sit down chains for me are limited to work travel when I can’t find any good options. If there are places, but it’s iffy, I don’t mind a B-dubs or the like. I know what I’m gonna get. It’s not great, but it’s known.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Randomness Dos

Postby iamjs » Thu May 16, 2024 7:41 am

Source of the post I'll hit up Mad Mex occasionally
Man, we had a Max Mex right around the corner from me and it was great when it opened. Then they turned over staff and it all went to **** - service was non-existent, food went downhill, etc. They closed down last year permanently after being closed for 6 months 'temporarily', and I am 100% positive it was because of the issues I just mentioned, and not 'the economy' like some said.
the Mad Mex up the road from me has done the same. The staff that worked happy hour a few years ago used to be on top of things. I mean the current crew isn't bad, but they're not great either. At the very least, it's a noticeable decline in service.

I keep hoping that one day I'll go back and see the old staff in there.

NTP66

Randomness Dos

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 16, 2024 7:42 am

I used to love their blue cornbread. Just so tasty.

RIP Gobblerito

MrKennethTKangaroo

Randomness Dos

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu May 16, 2024 7:49 am

I think sit down chains for me are limited to work travel when I can’t find any good options. If there are places, but it’s iffy, I don’t mind a B-dubs or the like. I know what I’m gonna get. It’s not great, but it’s known.
BWW sometimes just feels right after a round of golf or for a sporting event. Plenty of tv, consistent food, never terrible never amazing.