Kane Article- Why the Hawks should consider him to be shipped out

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:09 pm

Perhaps I'm incorrect, but I believe in some states that crimes in the sexual assault/domestic abuse "realm" can or must be prosecuted by law, even if the alleged victim drops the charges...

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Sep 09, 2015 12:16 pm

What kind of psychopath can go through the rest of their life pretending that it's all good?

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:24 pm

What kind of psychopath can go through the rest of their life pretending that it's all good?
#24 for the Lakers

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:38 pm

Whom are you implying?

Kane? The 'victim'? The lawyers?

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 1:39 pm

Considering they committed the act (allegedly) in the first place, I'm sure a settlement wouldn't be hard to rationalize.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Wed Sep 09, 2015 3:01 pm

These sorts of things are odd to me. Technically speaking, a settlement of any civil claim the alleged victim might have does absolutely nothing to preclude the DA's office from criminal prosecution of Kane, and the whole notion of "dropping" charges is not something that you'd think the DA's office would consider when dealing with a rape. From a practical standpoint, though, I guess the idea is the attorney for the alleged victim hints (or maybe they come right out and say?) that the alleged victim will not provide the testimony necessary for the DA to obtain a conviction. I always wonder how these sorts of deals go down.
That's exactly what another article pointed out. If there is a settlement but the DA still wants to prosecute, the victim may not testify. And there goes the case.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Sep 14, 2015 9:41 am

These sorts of things are odd to me. Technically speaking, a settlement of any civil claim the alleged victim might have does absolutely nothing to preclude the DA's office from criminal prosecution of Kane, and the whole notion of "dropping" charges is not something that you'd think the DA's office would consider when dealing with a rape. From a practical standpoint, though, I guess the idea is the attorney for the alleged victim hints (or maybe they come right out and say?) that the alleged victim will not provide the testimony necessary for the DA to obtain a conviction. I always wonder how these sorts of deals go down.
Right - I would imagine if they pay off the victim, she won't testify making their case weak considering she was the only person in the room.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:13 pm

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Sep 23, 2015 2:22 pm

Yeah. This is absolutely nuts.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:30 pm

Officially the worst mobile web site I've ever seen.

Craig

Postby Craig » Wed Sep 23, 2015 6:40 pm

Yeah i kept thinking there was more article. Well maybe there was now that i think about it. Plus i had 2 on screen pop ups before i was able to read it.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:36 pm

I also gave up on the article and site...could not navigate. I hope they go out of business.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:38 pm

Me too.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:38 pm

I had to sign up to read the article... Sure, I'll get right on that.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Sep 23, 2015 8:46 pm

So the fix is in to clear him?

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Wed Sep 23, 2015 9:00 pm

Don't know. I was too lazy to google the news.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed Sep 23, 2015 11:07 pm

Sparknotes:

Mother of victim/accuser found the supposed rape test kit used for her daughter ripped open on her doorstep this afternoon. Her lawyer thinks it was someone trying to sabotage and get Kane off the charges. Kane's lawyer said some dumb stuff. The police department said that they had the original rape test kit.

The state police and FBI should be taking over the investigation any day. All while Patrick Kane somehow is still allowed to show up to Blackhawks training camp.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:07 am

There are four possible scenarios here:

1. Someone is playing a prank on the accuser by placing a fake rape kit at her door.
2. Accuser's lawyer made up the whole story in an attempt to strengthen an argument that the authorities have conspired with Kane. Making this argument in the press is a good way to pollute the jury pool.
3. There is a conspiracy between the police and Kane.
4. The police lost the rape kit but are lying about losing it to save face.

The second scenario seems to be the most plausible.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:49 am

1. Someone is playing a prank on the accuser by placing a fake rape kit at her door.
2. Accuser's lawyer made up the whole story in an attempt to strengthen an argument that the authorities have conspired with Kane. Making this argument in the press is a good way to pollute the jury pool.

1. The rape kit, according to the accuser's attorney, has been verified as the actual kit. Nurses initials and signatures have been validated.
2. If this is the case, it's not made up.
3. Can see this happening. Not all the cops, but the ones closest to Kane. Isn't an off duty cop his personal driver when he's in town? If this is the case, perhaps a cop who is sick of what's happening placed the bag at the doorstep to show the evidence has been tampered with.
4.This is probably the correct answer. Evidence gets mishandled, this isn't anything new.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:50 am

Odd, I had no problem reading the article. I closed the window that asked me to sign up, and was still able to read it.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:29 am

1. The rape kit, according to the accuser's attorney, has been verified as the actual kit. Nurses initials and signatures have been validated.
2. If this is the case, it's not made up.
3. Can see this happening. Not all the cops, but the ones closest to Kane. Isn't an off duty cop his personal driver when he's in town? If this is the case, perhaps a cop who is sick of what's happening placed the bag at the doorstep to show the evidence has been tampered with.
4.This is probably the correct answer. Evidence gets mishandled, this isn't anything new.
http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/09/2 ... p=trending

Per the article, the rape kit was not left in the door, only the bag that originally contained the kit.

If that is the case than this is plausible, and the most likely scenario.
A noted defense attorney who is not involved in the Kane case said that bag could simply have been carelessly discarded if the evidence it contained was placed in a new bag, which would not affect the evidence itself or the case.
Also, has the nurse personally come out and said that she validated the signature, or is this based simply on the attorney's statement?

By the way, I don't want anyone to misconstrue this as me defending Kane. He may very well be guilty, but it seems that the attorney might be trying to try this case in the media.

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:38 am

http://www.foxnews.com/sports/2015/09/2 ... p=trending

Per the article, the rape kit was not left in the door, only the bag that originally contained the kit.

If that is the case than this is plausible, and the most likely scenario.
A noted defense attorney who is not involved in the Kane case said that bag could simply have been carelessly discarded if the evidence it contained was placed in a new bag, which would not affect the evidence itself or the case.
Also, has the nurse personally come out and said that she validated the signature, or is this based simply on the attorney's statement?

By the way, I don't want anyone to misconstrue this as me defending Kane. He may very well be guilty, but it seems that the attorney might be trying to try this case in the media.
I meant the bag. Yes, it was empty when left at the doorstep.

It's just the attorney who stated the signatures were validated, which is why I said "if" in my second statement. It's just his word.

You'd think, given the high profile nature of this case, they'd handle even an empty bag with more care. It just seems very odd the bag appeared at the doorstep.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:43 am

I agree that it is odd, if that is the actual bag. I have my doubts that it is, not that I entirely believe the police here either. I'd like the police department to either provide evidence that they have the original bag, or explain how they no longer have the bag. I'm sure more will come out about this in the coming days.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:16 am

I'd be willing to put money on nobody involved with Kane's defense had anything to do with that bag...unless you count a janitor hockey fan as part of his "defense".

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:13 pm

So the accuser's lawyer is dropping her as a client due to ethical reasons. He said there may be a fabrication in the story of how they received evidence bag, but says that it is the actual bag. This just gets weirder and makes the accuser look really bad.