Expansion Draft Game - The Draft Has Begun...or die!

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 16, 2015 3:59 pm

- Agree.
- We didn't have that choice.
- Yes, Jordie Benn is a third pairing AHL d-man.
- I'm sure the C of Red was ecstatic with that development, just couldn't shake Engelland.
- I thought I said that?
- We did make that switch for Glendening I think...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:55 pm

- I thought I said that?
Mind you, particularly expansion GMs, that the salary cap still applies. We will set it at a flat $70 million for 2015-16 (though, with the $2 billion infusion from expansion fees, hard to believe that wouldn't tick up a tiny bit, right?). Maybe your owners, Iceland and Las Vegas in particular, would not want to be cap teams without any hope of the playoffs in sight. Just something to be mindful of.
That was part of what I had put in the post on Reddit.

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Jul 16, 2015 4:59 pm

Hmph, that was before I knew better...last week I posted this:
Now seems like as good a time as any to mention that expansion fees ($500M or whatever they may be) do NOT count as HRR (hockey-related revenue) and therefore will not directly effect the salary cap. Not that that necessarily is the discussion at hand specifically, it seems worth mentioning.
The remark makes sense, I didn't realize I had said that previously... :oops:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:01 pm

Oh and as far as best team, It's clearly Vegas.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:05 pm

this was a pretty fun exercise. Learned a hell of a lot about waiver eligibility and I think mikey proved his real motive for this game true: expansion would be dumb.

Craig

Postby Craig » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:16 pm

Should do the same exercize with a true fantasy draft of 30 teams and prove that having that many teams is dumb.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Tue Jul 21, 2015 6:03 pm

Should do the same exercize with a true fantasy draft of 30 teams and prove that having that many teams is dumb.
Did something similar (but on a much smaller scale) with 12 teams on the old board... even with only 12, the draft started to slowly stretch thin at the end. Add another 18 teams, and it would've been ridiculous. We ignored cap space & stuff, too... wouldn't even want to try & deal with all of that stuff now.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:15 pm

So why don't we try to trim the 4 teams down to 2, since that would likely be the expansion limit? They wouldn't look AS bad.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Tue Jul 21, 2015 10:22 pm

Las Vegas is still the best team in this draft.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Tue Jul 21, 2015 11:13 pm

Did something similar (but on a much smaller scale) with 12 teams on the old board... even with only 12, the draft started to slowly stretch thin at the end. Add another 18 teams, and it would've been ridiculous. We ignored cap space & stuff, too... wouldn't even want to try & deal with all of that stuff now.
Was about to ask if you meant the Pens all-time teams, then I remembered the NHL 14 rosters and such.

Rylan

Postby Rylan » Wed Jul 22, 2015 5:13 am

The all-time team draft was fun as hell. I miss having enough free time for that stuff. Even this once you get behind on your scouting like I did, it was too daunting to get back into the scouting mode.