Jagr hinting retirement (2022-23 season, 50 years old)

Tomas

Jagr to play for yet another season (2021-22)!!!

Postby Tomas » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:39 pm

Last edited by Tomas on Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

meecrofilm

Postby meecrofilm » Wed Jun 22, 2022 3:50 pm

These are incredible pics.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 22, 2022 10:27 pm

Is he having a seizure?

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:02 am

It's that time of the year (Carsbad International Film Festival) :)

20 years later...

https://www-idnes-cz.translate.goog/zpr ... r_pto=wapp

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:35 pm

Did that chick just not age or?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:37 pm

It's probably her daughter.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Wed Jul 06, 2022 12:55 pm

Did that chick just not age or?
Interestingly, if you click on the discussion below that article, it is full of posts about how bad plastic surgery is ...

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:10 pm

oh in the 2nd pic she's on the right and daughter is on the left maybe?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:11 pm

the one on the right has definitely had some work done

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:25 pm

Never get in a long term relationship with a chick with pierced nipples

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:55 pm

oh in the 2nd pic she's on the right and daughter is on the left maybe?
I don't know if am I killing a joke, but the lady on the left is JJs current girlfriend (27 years old). That's the one who gave the interview posted right above the two pictures from the film festival today.

The lady on the right is indeed Miss Slovakia 199X, and they met yesterday for the first time after breaking up about 20 years ago.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:57 pm

well let me tell ya something, Jags new gf looks very much like his gf from 1998. good for him

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jul 06, 2022 1:58 pm

Never get in a long term relationship with a chick with pierced nipples
How about just one nipple? No reason or anything

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Jul 06, 2022 4:17 pm

I said nipples. Plural

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Wed Jul 06, 2022 11:50 pm

Somewhat funny walk down the memory lane. "Blesk" tabloid decided to commemorate the reunion picture by re-posting the 2003 break-up interview. So, if you are a die-hard Jagr fan, here it is. Translate it (DeepL.com is by far the best translator in the world) by yourselves... :)

https://www.blesk.cz/clanek/celebrity/1 ... ncime.html

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:15 pm

I lack motivation, time, and desire to play...

https://isport-blesk-cz.translate.goog/ ... r_pto=wapp
Last edited by Tomas on Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sun Oct 02, 2022 3:54 pm

That sounds like a man is who done playing.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:01 pm

https://isport.blesk.cz/clanek/hokej-nh ... -jich.html
Jagr on NHL in Prague and chat with Hertl: Parting ways with the Penguins? Ask them

He sat at a table on the club floor and watched the Nashville Predators practice. He had a chance to say a quick hello to Tomas Hertl, they exchanged a few words, and there was a flurry of reporters and cameras around them. The day before the NHL kicked off, Jaromir Jagr, a two-time Stanley Cup winner who has played 1,733 games in the most famous league, was at the O2 Arena. "Tomas said he would score three goals in both games and go home," joked the second most productive player in NHL history.

When Tomas Hertl appeared in the lounge, the more famous countryman immediately went to greet him. "How are you?" Jagr asked the 28-year-old forward, who will be the biggest draw for the Czechs on Friday and Saturday. The San Jose Sharks leader will experience what Jagr will not. NHL game in Prague.

They both sat in the stands afterwards, chatting for a while. They talked about tonight's hockey and the Sharks' prospects for the season. "People don't really believe in us, but that doesn't matter, right?" Hertl explained. After a while, they said their goodbyes and Hertl went to get ready for his team's open practice. The most productive European in NHL history then talked about the hockey show in Prague.

Aren't you sorry that you missed out on playing NHL games at home?
"I don't know if I'm sorry or not. I made up for it during the 2015 home championship, when I enjoyed it. Those were my last games for the national team on home ice. From my perspective, it was more than with an NHL club. Granted, I was close to that when the New York Rangers played here against Tampa Bay in 2008, but I went to play in the KHL."

Did you have any regrets? That you missed out on that experience?
"I didn't think of it that way. People knew I couldn't play, nobody blamed me. I didn't have a contract, it was a risk. But at the end of the day, everybody was happy anyway, it sold out, everybody was excited."

You talked to Tomas Hertl. Is he nervous?
"Ask him... He said he's not nervous at all. That he's going to score three goals in both games and go home." (laughs)

How will it be for him? To play at home?
"It's probably going to be crazy. They played in Berlin, then came to Prague in a hurry, he won't get much time with his family. Thursday practice, Friday game, Saturday another one. I'm sure a lot of people are interested in tickets, so it will be harder for him mentally than physically."

What do you think about the kind of player he's grown into? He's a key man for the Sharks.
"I had a chance to play with him at the 2014 World Championships, they put us on the same line when he made his debut at the World Championships. He's made a huge shift, it's no coincidence when a team makes you a leader. Just think of how many people play hockey and how few of them play one game for the national team or in the NHL. It's unreal on that scale."

You've been a role model for him, he's always talked about using the same big ass as you... So you like his style of play too?
"Of course I see how he plays. I like players who play a similar style to me. I pick them for the team myself, I know what I can advise them. How they can improve. It's true that we play the same style, we have similar characters. We played with more power than speed."

You're expected to throw the ceremonial bullpen on Saturday. Is that right?
"I've been asked to do it, but I haven't said a hundred percent yes yet."

Will you be watching the games? Are you interested in where the NHL has gone?
"I've played a lot of games overseas, so it's not like I'm looking forward to watching the NHL. I know the competition has changed, a lot of the players I don't even know. We're playing Kladno on Friday against Plzeň, so I definitely won't see that, but there's a good chance I'll be here on Saturday and I'll be throwing in the towel. So I'll have a chance to compare how the league has changed since I left."

When you see that, you don't miss the hockey circus? Especially since you've indicated recently that you don't have much desire to play anymore?
"I haven't talked anywhere about whether I'm going to quit or not. On Wednesday, I was putting it in perspective. I was asked when I would jump into the season for my first game for Kladno, to which I replied that I don't see it because I haven't started training. I don't have the time, strength, motivation or desire to train. But I realize that I can't do it without him. At the moment I wouldn't fit into four lines. On the other hand, the last two or three practices I've been on the ice because we were short-handed. It's not pleasant, after six months it's been a tremendous work."

We're sitting in the O2 Arena, Kladno could sell it out with you, right? That doesn't tempt you?
"We will definitely play here twice more. But if I'll be part of it, I don't know."

Your friend Zdeno Chara recently retired from the NHL. He signed with Boston for a day because of it. Wouldn't you be tempted to do something similar with Pittsburgh?
"You're asking the wrong question. If the Penguins would sign me, you'd have to call them for an answer. I'll give you the president's number."

Do you remember playing your first game for the national team against Calgary in Prague in 1989 when you were 17?
"I remember it very well, it was played in Holešovice. I was scared, I was nervous. It was my first game, we were playing against hockey players who were playing completely different hockey. They were tough, they had a few bullies. I was worried during the warm-up when I saw them undressed. I was really scared. Not to mess up, but to not get hurt."

Did you think at the time that you were going to have that kind of NHL career ahead of you?
"At the time, I didn't even think I would be playing for the national team at 17. I got the chance, so I took it."

What did you say about Dominik Hasek's opinion, who publicly opposed the NHL being introduced in Prague because he has Russian players on his roster?
"The NHL is here, I don't know what the lineups will be... I heard something, but I don't know..."

How do you like the idea of open practices for the public?
"I honestly didn't know that was the case. I hope there are kids in the stands that play hockey. The guys can see for themselves what the practices are like, what the intensity is like. And compare it to how they train... I would try to get as many young hockey players in here as possible. Because they have NHL players as idols and role models, they look up to them. And there's nothing better for your future than to look up to people you admire."

When you see the NHL, do you get nostalgic? What have you experienced overseas?
"I don't see it the same way as most people, I don't see it that way. I had my time there, I did my job there. I'm happy, that's more or less all I need. As far as the NHL is concerned, I've experienced everything there. So it's mostly the young guys that should watch, so they can see their role models. That will help them."

Translated with www.DeepL.com/Translator (free version)

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Oct 06, 2022 1:25 pm

Which President? Brian Burke or Kevin Acklin? And yes I’d like their numbers.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sun Dec 11, 2022 12:54 pm

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sun Dec 11, 2022 1:13 pm

Jags is my age and can get the seniors discount at the IHOP, FWIW.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Tue Jan 03, 2023 9:28 pm

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 11, 2023 1:11 pm

Ondrej Nemec, a player who we drafted after Jagr had won his fifth Art Ross Trophy, has retired.