Robert Morris and the NCAA Tournament

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:16 pm

Technically not "Around the NHL", but not Pens Related.

Here is a worthwhile article partly about why RMU should be in the NCAA Hockey Tourney and also provides a really good idea on expanding the tournament to 24 teams. Highly Recommend.

http://cityofchampionssports.com/2015/0 ... -the-cold/

Kicksave

Re: Robert Morris and the NCAA Tournament

Postby Kicksave » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:19 pm

Technically not "Around the NHL", but not Pens Related.
Good call. Made this forum "Around the Rink" to encompass all non-Pens related hockey talk.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:21 pm

As great as RMU was this season, they unfortunately didn't play anyone of importance... They really have two options: play better opponents or win their conference tourney.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:26 pm

As great as RMU was this season, they unfortunately didn't play anyone of importance... They really have two options: play better opponents or win their conference tourney.
That's pretty much what Schooley said on his Trib Live radio interview Monday.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:27 pm

I would love, love, love RMU and PSU to play every year. Develop a great rivalry with someone outside the Big Ten.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:31 pm

I would love, love, love RMU and PSU to play every year. Develop a great rivalry with someone outside the Big Ten.
Much agreed

Would also love to see Pitt promote their club team to NCAA level. I knew several guys that played on that team back in the early 2000's. There is definitely enough players now to support two teams in Pittsburgh.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:33 pm

I think Arizona (or Arizona State) are joining next year to make 60 teams. I would imagine more Big 10 schools could make the jump too.

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Mar 25, 2015 1:35 pm

Arizona State announced

U of Arizona also has well-supported club team.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:05 pm

Much agreed

Would also love to see Pitt promote their club team to NCAA level. I knew several guys that played on that team back in the early 2000's. There is definitely enough players now to support two teams in Pittsburgh.
It'd be great for Pitt to have another team that would get beaten by PSU. :mrgreen:

Freddy Rumsen

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:06 pm

:lol: :ugeek:

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Wed Mar 25, 2015 9:35 pm

Go Miami. Don't screw this up

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 1:43 pm

RMU captain, Cody Wydo, has signed a contract with the Wheeling Nailers.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:16 pm

No offense to the Nailers, but I thought Wydo would at least get a shot in the AHL this season. Hobey Baker finalist, leading scorer in RMU history, active goal scoring leader in the NCAA. He deserves better than the ECHL.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:17 pm

Yeah, if a PSU player is getting a shot at playing for the Leafs, he should at least be on the AHL level.

Rylan

Postby Rylan » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:22 pm

No offense to the Nailers, but I thought Wydo would at least get a shot in the AHL this season. Hobey Baker finalist, leading scorer in RMU history, active goal scoring leader in the NCAA. He deserves better than the ECHL.
Depends on his priorities. Gets to stay close to where he went to school and play top line minutes. He is a senior, maybe finishing that degree while playing? Gets to play a few months of professional hockey, gets his degree, and then has the summer to prepare to do something better.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:25 pm

Yeah, if a PSU player is getting a shot at playing for the Leafs, he should at least be on the AHL level.
Then again, it is the Leafs. Might as well be an AHL-level team.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:45 pm

I don't know his senior status (he could already have the credits to graduate for all I know) but it's possible he's staying close to finish school work. Nailers have plucked 8 other RMU players over the years after their season ended and that's usually the case. Clark Donatelli has made good use of the college players he's picked up this time of year, mainly due to pretty decent rosters being decimated by the glass Penguins heading into the playoffs. Season ends in two weeks and then maybe playoffs (currently tied for 4th and final division spot) he'll get some pro experience then most likely get his big shot somewhere when a fresh season starts

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:50 pm

How long has RMU hockey been around. I'm pretty impressed with the size of the school, etc how far they have come. I actually follow their hockey team on twitter.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 26, 2015 2:58 pm

I don't know his senior status (he could already have the credits to graduate for all I know) but it's possible he's staying close to finish school work. Nailers have plucked 8 other RMU players over the years after their season ended and that's usually the case. Clark Donatelli has made good use of the college players he's picked up this time of year, mainly due to pretty decent rosters being decimated by the glass Penguins heading into the playoffs. Season ends in two weeks and then maybe playoffs (currently tied for 4th and final division spot) he'll get some pro experience then most likely get his big shot somewhere when a fresh season starts
That's a good point about his senior status and it seems like most of RMU's best players get a shot with Wheeling before moving elsewhere.
How long has RMU hockey been around. I'm pretty impressed with the size of the school, etc how far they have come. I actually follow their hockey team on twitter.
2004 was their first season. They've had a pretty quick rise to being the dominant program in their conference. Have also produced a good number of professionals.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/alumni.php?tmi=7731

RoMo21

Postby RoMo21 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 5:18 pm

Conference play takes up 28 of their 34 games. Of their 6 other games, 4 of them were against a top 20 team at the time of the game. Their record may have been 1-2-1 in those games, but these 4 games were all played in a 7-day period. Going up against 4 tough teams in 7 days when you are used to 5+ days of rest between sets of games would be difficult for any team.

What hurt them is their conference scheduling cupcake games in those 6 games, something they had absolutely no control over.

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Mar 27, 2015 9:43 pm

Wydo scores his first professional goal in his first pro game.

Edit....he also added a helper in a 2-1 win and named games #1 star. RMUs whole team was there and hammered.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:40 am

pretty strange national championship game. congrats to the friars. i heard steve levy on nhl radio driving this weekend saying how bad he feels for the BU goalie, but i didnt hear any one lamenting on the way the other team from boston beat miami in the national championship several years ago. justice is served