Hockey Randomness

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Wed May 05, 2021 8:55 am

It sounded like he talked about how his teammates might react/deal with Wilson.

Ad@m

Hockey Randomness

Postby Ad@m » Wed May 05, 2021 8:57 am

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 05, 2021 9:08 am

yeah, that's what i saw. i think this is a pointless interview if it's all like this. this is him finally having a clear path to create distance between his reputation and wilson's. he's saying, "now we can all agree he's worse than me because of the other night - which is something i never did. but all that other stuff that both of us did - a ok".

like meow said, they have different afflictions. wilson gets roid rage whereas cooke is a serial killer who calmly gets off on this stuff. but they're both trash people who played loose with other people's brains. if cooke wants to talk about this stuff, he should let us into the mind of someone who doesn't care if they ruin someone's life for no good reason.

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Wed May 05, 2021 9:19 am

Matt Cooke commenting on Tom Wilson?

Jim

Hockey Randomness

Postby Jim » Wed May 05, 2021 9:50 am

I wonder if the Rangers will get fined for speaking out against a League official.

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 05, 2021 9:53 am

Found this quote on Reddit from a paywalled Athletic article.
“Parros, we’ve heard, didn’t even want to suspend Wilson for the brain-damaging assault on Boston’s Brandon Carlo, who suffered mood changes and blurry vision from his concussion after being hospitalized by Wilson in March. Bettman didn’t like the optics and ordered a suspension. So Wilson got seven games. Before that, he wasn’t even considered a repeat offender, because the CBA erases priors after a certain period of time transpires. Just absurd.”

Yup...
Parros is trying to vicariously continue his career through Wilson. “Imagine if I was still a complete piece of ****, but didn’t suck at hockey and never gone suspended. Fap fap fap.”

nocera

Hockey Randomness

Postby nocera » Wed May 05, 2021 9:55 am

I've always thought it was a little weird having a former goon in charge of player safety. Also his clothing line is called "Violent Gentlemen Hockey Club."

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Wed May 05, 2021 9:55 am

Having fap fap fap inside the quotes mean he said it...?

“If he were to die, he wouldn’t write “ahhhhh” he would just say “ahhhhh””

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 05, 2021 9:57 am

I've always thought it was a little weird having a former goon in charge of player safety. Also his clothing line is called "Violent Gentlemen Hockey Club."
Yeah, unless the idea was 'this clown should recognize foul play quite easily'. This is on more than just Parros, though.

Dickie Dunn

Hockey Randomness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 05, 2021 10:06 am

Having fap fap fap inside the quotes mean he said it...?

“If he were to die, he wouldn’t write “ahhhhh” he would just say “ahhhhh””
He said it. Parros is a weird dude.

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 05, 2021 10:40 am

wasn't parros a clean player though? he used his ivy league brain to collect paychecks for getting punched in the face, but i don't remember him ever doing anything physical beyond staged fights. like a goddard or bogart.

so i don't think he sees himself in Wilson at all, really.

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Wed May 05, 2021 10:50 am

Parros was as close to a gentleman as a person that punched people in the face for a living could possibly be.

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 05, 2021 11:17 am

wilson, the player, is actually the nemesis of parros, the player. he's the guy parros was there to punish if he stepped over the line.

...though it's never how it worked in practice, it's how guys like parros pictured themselves.

Morkle

Hockey Randomness

Postby Morkle » Wed May 05, 2021 11:31 am

Tom Wilson, 2035 DOPS Boss. Mark it down.

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Wed May 05, 2021 12:16 pm

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Wed May 05, 2021 12:18 pm

If I were Lavy, I’d scratch Wilson

Gaucho

Hockey Randomness

Postby Gaucho » Wed May 05, 2021 12:24 pm

If you were Lavy, you'd rather be meow.

meow

Hockey Randomness

Postby meow » Wed May 05, 2021 12:30 pm

Well

Yeah

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 05, 2021 1:11 pm

if wilson doesn't engage, it's time for Backstrom to make sure his will is in order.

Morkle

Hockey Randomness

Postby Morkle » Wed May 05, 2021 1:15 pm

if wilson doesn't engage, it's time for Backstrom to make sure his will is in order.
Right? Lavy sitting Wilson is the best possible outcome. Now you can hit people with no fear of nuclear option.

NTP66

Hockey Randomness

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 05, 2021 1:16 pm

Lavy's a ****, too.

shmenguin

Hockey Randomness

Postby shmenguin » Wed May 05, 2021 1:40 pm

Most likely outcome: wilson fights one of the scrub crew in the 1st period, and wins. then spends the rest of the game half engaged. and it's all diffused.

DigitalGypsy66

Hockey Randomness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed May 05, 2021 2:30 pm

The Athletic has something by Matt Cooke on Tom Wilson. Anyone have a subscription?
I'd love to see that too.

@DigitalGypsy66
Matt Cooke has been where Tom Wilson was Tuesday: hogging hockey’s spotlight for all the wrong reasons.

Most sixth-round draft picks don’t go on to play over 1,000 games, score 167 goals and win the Stanley Cup in an NHL career that spanned 16 seasons. Cooke did, but the same ferocity he showcased as a top-nine winger and standout penalty killer — and, frankly, that made him a fan favorite in established NHL strongholds such as Pittsburgh and Vancouver — also spawned repeated hits that resulted in multiple suspensions and a bad reputation that could still prove costly.

Six years removed from his last game as a player, Cooke, now 42 and a first-time grandfather, aspires a return to hockey as a coach. He applied for offseason openings with a few AHL and junior clubs and counts a couple of Cup winners with Penguins ties — former coach Dan Bylsma and current hockey operations president Brian Burke — as mentors and advocates. No less an authority than Sidney Crosby has described Cooke as possessing one of the highest hockey IQs among all his teammates in Pittsburgh.

However, perception usually becomes reality. Cooke knows it, too.

“I’m gonna have to break a barrier down for someone with my reputation,” Cooke said. “Some of my reputation precedes me a little bit still.”

Cooke is not looking for sympathy.

He delivered those hits, the dangerous blindside and/or head shots, that caused him to be suspended twice in his first season with the Penguins and, a couple of years later, forced him to miss the final 10 regular-season games and Round 1 of the 2011 postseason.

The latter discipline was handed down by the Department of Player Safety for Cooke’s elbow to Ryan McDonagh’s head. But Cooke was not suspended — or penalized, even — for his most infamous hit: a head shot that concussed and contributed to ending Marc Savard’s career.

(Savard retired from NHL with eight concussions, including two after Cooke’s hit.)

It is the Savard hit that turned Cooke into a public enemy throughout the hockey world. And it’s his unique place in hockey history that provides Cooke with a unique perspective on Wilson.

You want to get into coaching. How would you coach Tom Wilson?

There’s a way and avenue for him to be super effective for the Washington Capitals in the long term while also being able to eliminate some of the risk. That’s what it has to be all about for him.

It seems that at times Wilson goes out of his way to create risk that wouldn’t otherwise exist. Can that approach be coached out of a player?

Yeah, for sure. It’s about recognizing the scenario, the position you’re in, the position the other guy’s in, the time of the game, all those things — those little nuances of play — and making a better decision based on them.

(Wilson) looked like a toddler having a fit with this last one. To me, what he did has nothing to do with hockey. This becomes about respect for your opponents and the ability to control emotions within a scenario. This last instance sheds a negative light on Tom Wilson that actually has nothing to do with the game. And I think that’s what a lot of people have the biggest problem with about this last one.

You know, he’s been given a bit of leeway just because, you know, when hits happen within a game, they’re gonna go wrong. They just are. The game is played way too fast for them not to, right?

But this one — there’s a whistle for an altercation and he continued to get in the altercation even after guys jumped in, and he continued to go after the next guy. To me, this isn’t looking a guy in the face and standing up for yourself. This is somewhat predatory.

That word was applied to you as a player. Can hearing yourself be described that way serve as a wake-up call?

Yeah, it is. Also, as cliche as it sounds, it takes hitting rock bottom. For me, that was McDonagh.

Personally, I don’t think Tom’s reached the point where it’s grabbed his attention enough to cause him the desire to change. I had to physically put serious time and energy into changing how I viewed how the game should be played. That view came from when I was super young and taught how to play body contact. I realized, “If I don’t change how I view scenarios, my reactions are never going to change, even if my intentions are good.”

Did that realization come after the way you hit McDonagh or the lengthy suspension that followed?

Absolutely to both. The whole McDonagh thing — I was trying to change; I didn’t want to be that guy anymore. But in the moment it’s a loose puck and my initial reaction is to go and get the biggest hit possible. And then I’m in a position that, like, “Oh, crap, this is not going to be good.” I try to slow up, which becomes even worse, and in trying not to slam into the boards, my elbow comes up and hits Ryan. And that’s while I was trying to change.

I realized trying to change isn’t good enough. I have to physically view every scenario on the ice differently, or approach it differently, changing how my mind reacts so that I can protect myself from that scenario later.

What did you do to foster an attempted change?

What I found successful — and Dan was very helpful — is I did probably 50 hours of video that offseason (2011). Dan probably did 30 of them with me. We watched other guys in the league at the time that I thought were super effective at being physical — Ryan Callahan, guys like that. What I realized was all of us were literally inches or split seconds away from every hit becoming a bad result. Not necessarily a suspension, but a bad result, and maybe a really bad result.

I’d always been taught to go get the biggest hit possible all the time. It creates energy. It creates animosity. And if they’re thinking about you, they’re not thinking about the right things. But I had to change, and what I had to change was that viewpoint; I had to change that approach.

How does a veteran change a viewpoint?

I had to study things like how a left-hand or right-hand shot goes into the boards, because when I do the hit, the reaction is going to be different, depending. Or, in a high-velocity situation where two guys are skating at each other, it can go bad in a hurry, so I had to study all the possible scenarios. There’s just so many scenarios when it comes to a hit, and if you’re going to go for that hit, you have to run through all of them.

Matt Cooke in 2010. (Tim Sharp / The Associated Press)
You work with youth players in Minnesota as part of Perfect World Hockey Training. What do you tell them about hitting?

How I teach the game is it’s all about puck possession. And if I’m attempting to get the big hit, my stick is up in the air, I’m focused on the head, and I’m not worried about the puck at all. So, I’m teaching body-contact checking completely different than how I approached doing it for many years of my playing career.

You were well-liked by teammates. Wilson is too. Is that a good or bad thing for a player who needs to change his approach?

It played immensely into it for me. The best player in the world is a really close friend. He’s gone through head stuff. He knew my intentions were good. But he also knew the results were not OK. Me and Sid, and the players as a group, had honest conversations about everything. I’ll never forget when I went to Ray (Shero, the Penguins’ former GM) in his office after that McDonagh game. He said, “We’re here for you, but this can’t ever happen again!”

I knew that. On some level, I agreed with him and everybody else. But having guys like me enough to support me in pursuing what I needed to do was a huge, huge factor for me being able to change.

I don’t know the dynamics of that room in Washington at all. Wilson may be being told that he’s doing the right thing and to keep doing it. We all know that happens in some cases. I’m not saying it is happening in Washington. I don’t know the specifics.

What happened with our room in Pittsburgh is those honest conversations. Having them probably made guys feel like they could support me. I’m thankful they did, or I don’t know what happens.

So, the first thing that has to happen for Wilson is he — and the Capitals — has to do some soul searching and then there needs to be honest talks?

Yeah, I think that’s the key. But there’s honesty and then there’s when people say they’re being honest. I’ve learned in life those are two different things.

If it’s about changing, it has to be real honesty.

DigitalGypsy66

Hockey Randomness

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed May 05, 2021 2:35 pm

Cooke is 42 and a grandfather.

Me trying to figure that out

MR25

Hockey Randomness

Postby MR25 » Wed May 05, 2021 2:59 pm

Some more fallout from Wilson: