Be a GM: Edmonton Oilers Edition

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Fri Mar 27, 2015 12:45 pm

(This is something I've been thinking of doing for a while now. I wanted to have an excuse to talk about other teams & learn more about them / hear other's opinions about them. However, didn't really have the desire to post it until now due to... well, reasons. I hope to do it for most of the eliminated teams, but I'll especially be focusing on the bottom 5 teams & other ones that seem to have a really bad situation currently. You don't have to answer the actual question - I just want this to be a place to discuss a team every few days, so feel free to just talk about Hall, or Schultz, or whoever. I don't care about the thread derailing or anything. Some roleplay to start it off... I'll write the initial post, then create a separate post for my thoughts later.)

Congratulations! (Maybe.) You're the new GM of the Edmonton Oilers, a proud & historic franchise.
Things are tough at the moment, but the fans are happy to have a new face in the management & are willing to let you take control to move the franchise out of its woeful status into a promising future. As of now, here is your current lineup according to Daily Faceoff.

(Note: The numbers in parentheses are the contracts for each player. It'll be #y/#m - years denoting how long the contract is until, m being the average cap hit. Numbers taken from NHLNumbers.)
Forwards
B. Pouliot (5y/4m) - R. Nugent-Hopkins (7y/6m) - J. Eberle (5y/6m)
T. Purcell (2y/4.5m) - D. Roy (1y/1m) - N. Yakupov (1y/.925m, RFA)
T. Hall (6y/6m) - A. Lander (1y/.6m, RFA) - A. Miller (1y/.675m, RFA)
L. Gazdic (2y/.8m, RFA) - M. Hendricks (3y/1.85m) - R. Klinkhammer (2y/.725m)

Defense
O. Klefbom (2y/1.033m) - J. Schultz (1y/3.675m, RFA)
M. Marincin (1y/.81m, RFA) - K. Aulie (1y/.8m, RFA)
M. Fayne (4y/3.625m) - N. Nikitin (2y/4.5m)

Goalies
B. Scrivens (2y/2.3m) - R. Bachman (1y/.615m)
Here are also the current injuries: V. Fasth (goalie, 1y/3.4m), A. Ference (defense, 3y/3.25m), M. Fraser (winger, 1y/.625m, RFA).

Here are some important prospects for the team: L. Draisatl (C, drafted 3rd overall in 2014), D. Nurse (D, drafted 7th overall in 2013). HF's ranking of the prospects.

Current coach: Todd Nelson, interim.

You have 2 first round drafts picks (PIT), 2 second rounders (MTL), 2 third rounders (OTT, STL), two fifth (COL), a sixth, & a seventh. (Found on ESPN's site.)

As the new GM, what do you do? Who do you build the team around? Who do you trade? Who do you sign to be the coach? What other moves do you make? Link to a list of the upcoming UFAs.

(Feel free to let me know if you want anything else added to the initial posts, both now & in the future. I'll be doing Arizona next, early next week.)

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:36 pm

retire

Kicksave

Postby Kicksave » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:43 pm

Love this idea. Going to sticky it and we'll feature a different one as time goes.

Craig

Postby Craig » Fri Mar 27, 2015 1:57 pm

Id be selling off some of the "older" recent first rounders for defensemen. Id probably overpay to get rid of the tainted goods and get some decent defenders. Id keep Hall, probably draisitl or whatever, and get what incan for the rest. Hall would be the team's backbone.

Id draft whatever, then in free agency fill the roster out with 2-3 fringe 2nd/3rd liners and 3 or 4 guys that are clearly 3rd liners at best. Vets.

I am just sitting at work so i have more specific ideas, maybe ill post tonight

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:08 pm

Not sure if you want specific moves or not, so I'm just going to go general for now, and also not really cover a lot since I'm just spitballing at this point.

My first move would be to move Yakupov for a defenseman who could use a change of scenery, but fill into the lineup nicely. He hasn't really done much, and his play leaves a lot to be desired.

This also is taking into account the rather poor UFA D corps, from Edmonton's standpoint. Unless they threw $7 mil at Mike Green and he decided that would be fun, I don't really see any of the viable options saying "Man, Edmonton sure sounds like a good place to go".

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Mar 27, 2015 2:32 pm

Step 1.) Hire a new scouting staff
Step 2.) Hire a new coaching staff
Step 3.) Sell/trade everything that isn't nailed down
Step 4.) Develop, develop, develop

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:21 pm

First order of business, schedule a one-on-one interview with everyone in the organization. From Taylor Hall to Hall's tailor (if one is on the books). Get some information about them, their time with Edmonton, what they've thought of the organization, etc.

From the scouts, I'd be interested to know about their history. If their priorities in terms of attributes do not line up with mine, they will be terminated.

Coaches, same deal. I need people that can develop players properly.

Then the players...

Unless they have indicated otherwise or really had a poor interview, Nuge stays, Hall stays, Klefbom stays...all others are very touchable.

I would need to actively shop Benoit Pouliot and Teddy Purcell...one bender is bad enough, but two total benders...? No way. They're both gone. And if there's no takers, I'll just do what Lou Lamoriello would do...roll them up in a carpet and have them secretly killed and then suspend them for not showing up to team events to get them off the cap...just like he did with Vladimir Malakhov...

If I made some sort of strict workout regimen during the offseason, Purcell would just quit hockey all together...I'm sure I could buy Benoit Pouliot out with a year supply of hair gel and some sort of cologne selection...

I don't know what free agents i can bring in...but if Paul Martin was willing, I'd bring him in at market value. Or Francois Beauchemin. Let's get a third line that can keep pucks out of the net...

I'd probably go 2 x $2.5 mil for Daniel Winnik. (runner-up, 1 x $1.75 mil for Sean Bergenheim)
Then maybe 3 x $3.5 mil for Michal Frolik, if he can get more (he probably can), maybe I'll settle for Tomas Kopecky at the Bergenheim offer above.

I'm going to let Anton Lander remain third line center unless it's suggested otherwise...he's finally getting his sea legs...

Jiri Tlusty at 4x4.

If Derek Roy wants to stay for one more year at $2.5 mil or whatever, that's fine. We're going to need a year before Draisaitl learns to skate...if he doesn't, I'm going to heavily pursue Boston's Carl Soderberg. This will be one of the few opportunities for him to be a 2nd line center in the NHL...

Nail Yakupov or Jordan Eberle need to bring back a d-man. Maybe Yakupov for Adam Larsson as a base.

I really want Steve Santini as well though...the Devils badly need offense...I'll go Nail Yakupov, Teddy Purcell, David Musil and a 2nd for Adam Larsson and the rights to Steve Santini.

Taylor Hall - Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - Jordan Eberle
Jiri Tlusty - Derek Roy - XXX
Daniel Winnik - Anton Lander - Tomas Kopecky
Anton Slepyshev - Bogdan Yakimov - Artemy Panarin
Matt Hendricks

Not sure what to do with that RW spot. But my guess is that one of the fourth liners will win it. And Iiro Pakarainen or Tyler Pitlick will slot up into the fourth line role.

We're bringing offense back *******...deal with it...my fourth line (which will actually be a 2B line, the ice time will not be like a traditional fourth line and that four shifts that they get) will be a matchup nightmare. Slepyshev and Yakimov are already ours. Yakimov is already here. Panarin is still bound by the entry-level system, but his KHL deal is up, AIUI. "You talk about a roll of the dice...this is it." That's right, Vin. No more shift disturbers. I'll be the guinea pig. I'll bring back the Soviet style of play. No more willful asphyxiation...Yakupov seems like a better bet to stay after I typed all that...but we still need a better defense, so swap Yak for Eberle, they can't have massively different values can they...?

On defense...yikes...let's sign Marek Zidlicky to get a RHS d-man...we already acquired Larsson.

Justin Schultz and a #1 for Brent Burns...

Oscar Klefbom - Adam Larsson
Darnell Nurse - Brent Burns
Andrew Ference - Marek Zidlicky
Nikita Nikitin

What's leftover? Anything? I stopped looking at some of the contractual obligations...assuming Ottawa misses the playoffs and want to trade up, let's work something out with Robin Lehner and I'll roll with Lehner and Scrivens...

Robin Lehner
Ben Scrivens

We're ready to dominate offensively...and if any of you candy asses don't like it, you can take it up with me, Johnny "The Mayor" Bledsoe!

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Fri Mar 27, 2015 7:54 pm

(Edit: Like normal, I started writing this before Mikey responded. Always do that somehow :scared: )
Not sure if you want specific moves or not, so I'm just going to go general for now, and also not really cover a lot since I'm just spitballing at this point.
Do whatever ya want to do. If there's a specific move, say it! If it's just a general "Blow the whole team up," that's cool too. If this thread devolves into a RNH discussion, or a Hall bashing, that's all fine by me.
retire
If you were selecting a random team on NHL 15 or whatever... this is when you'd randomize everything again or start over.

Now, that being said, there are some questions that'd really define what I did with the Oilers.

1) Is Nugent-Hopkins going to develop into a top-line center like Duchene or Backstrom? Or has the Oilers immediately throwing him into the NHL stunted his growth?
2) Is Schultz capable of progressing & playing defense? Or is he just the next Marc-Andre Bergeron / Wisniewski?

Anyway, I think the time for relying on youth's over. Bring in some vets to handle the brunt of the burden & let the youth safely develop in a cocoon. I would trade one of the following - RNH, Hall, Eberle, or Yakupov - in a Tyler Seguin-esque trade to bring in some veteran pieces. I do not want any of those players (except perhaps Hall) on the #1 line. Perhaps Toronto would be gullible enough to send JVR or Kessel back in a bigger deal. I'd also throw in a couple of this year's draft picks. Screw the draft this year.

With the remaining 3 (unless RNH is the one traded), I'd make that the de facto 2nd line. That means I'd need a first line. Thus, I'd throw money at either Richards or Vermette, the two best centers in the FA market (IMO). Give them the chance to be a #1 center on an upcoming team, and also a chance to make some serious cash. One of his wingers would hopefully be brought back in the trade. At the other wing, I'd again look to FA: Tlusty, Glencross, or maybe Fleischmann. Not someone who has a top 3 skill per se, but instead someone who can complement the other 2 (like Dupuis to Crosby).

The third line, I'd be okay with Lander or Roy. I'd also be okay with Pouliot. However, that means I'd need another winger. I'd pull that from the FA as well (if I didn't get a trade), hoping for a high-$$ one-year deal to Glencross or someone similar... someone who has work ethic & grit. Maybe even Erik Cole, Bergenheim, or Stempniak. The fourth line will consist of the other center (whoever lost between Lander & Roy) playing wing to Hendricks, and also Klinkhammer.

So, the forwards would look like this, assuming Eberle is the one traded...

FA-Vermette-Trade(Kessel?)
Hall-RNH-Yakupov (perhaps switching Glencross with Hall)
Pouliot-Lander-FA
Roy-Hendricks-Klinkhammer

Defensively, I really question if any of the current young d-men outside of Klefbom can work. I'd be happy to trade most of them away. That means I'd be left with Ference, Klefbom, & Fayne. That means throwing more money! I'd throw it at either Martin or Beauchemin. I'd also look to get a top 2 d-man out of a trade (giving away more draft picks). I'd bring up Nurse & give him protected time in the bottom 2 pairing. That means...

Martin/Beauchemin-Trade
Klefbom-Fayne
Nurse-Ference

Thus, I'd be trading Marincin, Schultz, Aulie's rights, & Nikitin.

Goaltender-wise, neither Fasth nor Scrivens are starter quality. I'd go HARD for Niemi, promising him a guaranteed starting spot. Then I'd see if I could trade either Fasth or Scrivens, & use the other as a backup.

Finally, I'd go for a Claude Julien or similar coach. Someone who can create a strong defensive system to protect the defense & goalie.

A few notes...

- I do think RNH can turn into that #1 center, just as Hall can be the #1 winger. However, I don't think either can do it together. They need sheltered time away from the top line to focus on development & keeping healthy. Heck, Hall's still only 23 & RNH's 21. However, they're making Duchene & Landeskog $$... and I don't think they're as good.
- Eberle & Yakupov are much lower on the totem pole for me, & I'd be much happier trading them. I think Eberle's going to be a fine player - maybe similar to Eriksson or some other quality forward - but he does not have the potential of Hall. I also don't like his 6 million cap hit; I'd rather give some of that $ to FAs & Yakupov. As for Yakupov... I hesitate to give up on him, but he desperately needs some development.
- I don't like Purcell. He's Michel Ouellet.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Mar 27, 2015 8:13 pm

I mentioned this during the last game against EDM: Every man has price and figure out what that is for Martin and pay it.

Agreed with the variations above on dumping recent high pick underachievers and bring in some adults through trade and FA.

I might also fire myself and hire Ray Shero.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Mar 27, 2015 11:50 pm

quit and move to Mongolia.

Avyran

Postby Avyran » Sat Apr 04, 2015 7:36 pm

I'll be writing the next edition of this on Sunday night. I'll just be going from worst to 14th (the last team not in the playoffs). That means next up will be the Buffalo Sabres. Lots of good prospects for them that are being protected in the lower leagues.

Jofa Guy

Postby Jofa Guy » Sat Apr 18, 2015 8:16 pm

They just got number 1 overall

Bioshock

Postby Bioshock » Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:15 am

Surprise! A wild McDavid appears!

*Uses Career Crushing Franchise Ineptitude*

It's Super Effective!

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:14 pm

I know this will be somewhat sour of opinions and "he hates young guys" but would Shero/Bylsma be the right thing for this team?

Let Shero working on bringing in vets to play with the young guys (like early Sid and Geno) and let Bylsma's fast and loose system go nitro with the forward talent they have. Their blueline and goaltending are atrocious. Just outscore teams.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Sun Apr 19, 2015 7:26 pm

Surprise! A wild McDavid appears!

*Uses Career Crushing Franchise Ineptitude*

It's Super Effective!
:thumb: :thumb:

cadams

Postby cadams » Fri Apr 24, 2015 4:31 pm

I offer the #1 overall for all of Buffalo's draft picks this year.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Apr 24, 2015 5:30 pm

Ownership has immediately over-ruled this decision...