Health and Fitness

eddy

Health and Fitness

Postby eddy » Sun Apr 18, 2021 9:39 am

So medical marijuana, right?
Honestly, after years of medication, breathing exercises, etc. MM has worked best for me. Stress and anxiety is a weird thing. I can be completely aware or know what's to come and I've found in the past that anxiety will find a new way to present itself. Maybe it's migraines and you treat that and then maybe it moves to stomach issues or back pain, etc. What a tricky little beast. I've definitely using MM regularly a few times a week in a regular schedule has sidelined most of the bad experiences I've had, sure it still pops up here and there, but I've found it's completely manageable now.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 22, 2021 2:20 pm

Would anyone on here in the Pittsburgh area have any use for a recumbent exercise bike? My mother had bought it and never put it together. I assembled it and used it twice, but I decided that I didn't like it and bought a regular upright exercise bike. I believe it's this "Weslo" model:

https://www.kmart.com/weslo-pursuit-ct- ... 620809001P

Free to a good home. Or a bad one. I don't care.
If you still have this I know someone that will come pick it up.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Thu Apr 22, 2021 5:56 pm

Final training run for the Gettysburg half today. Did 8.5 miles with brutal elevation... 456 feet of gain (almost all of it in the first four miles). Still was able to maintain a pace under 8:00/mile.

The 13.1 mile course has a total of 498 feet of gain, so I'm feeling pretty confident going into next week. I do wish I lived in a flatter area though... Eastern Lancaster County is damned hilly.
That just reminded me that I want to do a half that's out your way, but theres no **** way I'll be ready for it by September.
https://www.bihhalfmarathon.com/
More than likely have to shut down any type of strenuous activity while I'm rehabbing, so that takes me out into late June or maybe July.

Oh well, or as I say about a few things on my radar that have also been ruined by COVID, "maybe next year... or the following year."

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:37 am

Final training run for the Gettysburg half today. Did 8.5 miles with brutal elevation... 456 feet of gain (almost all of it in the first four miles). Still was able to maintain a pace under 8:00/mile.

The 13.1 mile course has a total of 498 feet of gain, so I'm feeling pretty confident going into next week. I do wish I lived in a flatter area though... Eastern Lancaster County is damned hilly.
That just reminded me that I want to do a half that's out your way, but theres no **** way I'll be ready for it by September.
https://www.bihhalfmarathon.com/
More than likely have to shut down any type of strenuous activity while I'm rehabbing, so that takes me out into late June or maybe July.

Oh well, or as I say about a few things on my radar that have also been ruined by COVID, "maybe next year... or the following year."
Dude, I want to run that half too!

There is another half marathon that is run in the spring called the Garden Spot Half Marathon. If you run both that and the Bird in Hand half, you get the prized "Road Apple" award

Yes... It's literally what it sounds like.

http://www.bihfire.com/2016/08/21/from- ... ple-award/

NAN

Health and Fitness

Postby NAN » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:15 am

I'm really enjoying the Pelton, especially after I put on the seat cover to help the butt that dodint recommended.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 23, 2021 11:26 am

Excellent, glad it worked out.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Fri Apr 23, 2021 5:19 pm

I'm really enjoying the Pelton, especially after I put on the seat cover to help the butt that dodint recommended.
welcome to the Cult. :pop:
off to do a 45 minute Power Zone ride.....

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:13 pm

With Matt? Did a PZ Endurance with him earlier today.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Fri Apr 23, 2021 7:50 pm

With Matt? Did a PZ Endurance with him earlier today.
nope, CDE.
https://members.onepeloton.com/classes/ ... 2595f7aab2

great playlist:
PLAYLIST

Queer
Garbage

Celebrity Skin
Hole

Raspberry Swirl
Tori Amos

Creature
BONES UK

Wicked Ones
Dorothy

WALK YOU HOME
Bishop Briggs

21 Things I Want in a Lover
Alanis Morissette

Send Me Down
HAIM

Bullet With Butterfly Wings (From "Hanna")
Karen O

Pretty Prizes
Daniele Luppi, Parquet Courts, Karen O

Down By The Water
PJ Harvey

Bottom of the River
Delta Rae

Pushing The Needle Too Far (Album Version)
Indigo Girls

What's Up?
4 Non Blondes
I've done a few with Matt. I did a Low Impact ride with him yesterday. he had several one-legged intervals.
typically his music is not my thing though. I like CDE. she plays a lot of New Wave.
there's a 5 hour Haleakala Climb of all CDE rides. I'm hoping to do that sometime this year.

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Fri Apr 23, 2021 8:11 pm

I like CDE, she's in my top 5.

Leanne
Matt, Olivia
Jen Sherman, CDE

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:28 am

Well, sitting in my car waiting for this half to start. The rain thankfully seems to be done, gonna be about 50 and cloudy. Toughest decision is pinning my number on my short sleeve or long sleeve :lol:

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:19 pm

Really happy with how the half went. Finished 1:42:30. 10th out of 46 in my age and gender group. 77th out of 661 overall. My heart rate was in the maximum zone for nearly an hour but was able to push. Cannot wait for the nap this afternoon.

Dickie Dunn

Health and Fitness

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Apr 25, 2021 12:28 pm

That’s awesome man. Congratulations!

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Sun Apr 25, 2021 1:07 pm

That's a strong number, my best ever was 1:53. Well done.

shoeshine boy

Health and Fitness

Postby shoeshine boy » Sun Apr 25, 2021 6:57 pm

I like CDE, she's in my top 5.

Leanne
Matt, Olivia
Jen Sherman, CDE
I agree with your list. Olivia is TOUGH! I did a 20 minute ride with her in the Mastering the Basics program and I was dripping wi†h sweat. I like Denis as well. he has good music choices.

I like the fun of Cody's rides but sometimes I just want to scream, "WE GET IT! YOU LIKE BRITNEY SPEARS AND YOU'RE GAY!" :lol:

dodint

Health and Fitness

Postby dodint » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:03 pm

My wife is a big Cody fan.

nocera

Health and Fitness

Postby nocera » Sun Apr 25, 2021 7:08 pm

My wife is a big Cody fan.
Yas, boo.

shafnutz05

Health and Fitness

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Apr 26, 2021 7:02 am

That's a strong number, my best ever was 1:53. Well done.
Thank you! (and DD)

Troy Loney

Health and Fitness

Postby Troy Loney » Wed May 05, 2021 8:06 am

Went to the gym for the first time since Covid.

Aside from needing to realizing that I should really put together an exercise plan / routine. I think the experience made me realize that I do not want to go back to the office, would like to be just WFH all the time.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Health and Fitness

Postby iamjs » Sun May 16, 2021 5:02 pm

So I'm back from my mini hiatus and with good news: shoulder surgery was a success and wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. They moved a tendon from my rotator cuff to my bicep and removed some bone spurs.

Everything with this surgery started to hit me when I was in pre-OP and all of the other patients were wheeled out, leaving me in a room all by myself. I think that was my "oh sht, this is really happening" moment.

The good news: No recollection of being in the operating room, which is fine by me. They gave me a "cocktail" via IV, and that knocked me out before I left pre-OP.
Was off of the oxycodone after day one (down to extra strength tylenol and motrin on alternating 4 hr shifts) and haven't used my cryocuff since 10am yesterday.
Being 3+ days in, my shoulder feels tender and not so much painful.
I do have some really gnarly bruising where the bicep is. It doesn't hurt though, just lots of bruising with some colors that I dont think I've ever seen before.

The bad news: as weird as this sounds, I really don't know. I get my first rehab call on Monday and my first face to face with my doctor a week after that. Basically rehab is gonna suck and I get that, but for being 3ish days after surgery, this isnt what I expected. I think the worst part was trying to put on a shirt after my first post surgery shower and accidentally raising my arm too high and too quickly. Probably not a good idea.
Being forced to sleep on the reclining part of the couch hasn't been fun.
The immobilizer really sucks and I cant wait to lose it in 9ish days.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic but this is going better than expected.

robbiestoupe

Health and Fitness

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon May 17, 2021 10:58 am

So I'm back from my mini hiatus and with good news: shoulder surgery was a success and wasnt as bad as I thought it would be. They moved a tendon from my rotator cuff to my bicep and removed some bone spurs.

Everything with this surgery started to hit me when I was in pre-OP and all of the other patients were wheeled out, leaving me in a room all by myself. I think that was my "oh sht, this is really happening" moment.

The good news: No recollection of being in the operating room, which is fine by me. They gave me a "cocktail" via IV, and that knocked me out before I left pre-OP.
Was off of the oxycodone after day one (down to extra strength tylenol and motrin on alternating 4 hr shifts) and haven't used my cryocuff since 10am yesterday.
Being 3+ days in, my shoulder feels tender and not so much painful.
I do have some really gnarly bruising where the bicep is. It doesn't hurt though, just lots of bruising with some colors that I dont think I've ever seen before.

The bad news: as weird as this sounds, I really don't know. I get my first rehab call on Monday and my first face to face with my doctor a week after that. Basically rehab is gonna suck and I get that, but for being 3ish days after surgery, this isnt what I expected. I think the worst part was trying to put on a shirt after my first post surgery shower and accidentally raising my arm too high and too quickly. Probably not a good idea.
Being forced to sleep on the reclining part of the couch hasn't been fun.
The immobilizer really sucks and I cant wait to lose it in 9ish days.

Maybe I'm being too optimistic but this is going better than expected.
Good news :thumb:

Sounds very similar to my labrum surgery, other than the tendon thing. I also only took 2-3 days of Vicodin, mainly to reduce the weird muscle spasms I was getting.

PT was just stretching for me, getting the full range of motion back. Don't skip on the at-home exercises they have you do. I was young and stupid when I had my surgery and completely skipped that part. Took a long time to get full mobility back. My wife is a PT, and she tells me doctors are getting more and more ambitious with PT after surgery. They've done a lot of studies to show the earlier you get PT, the better.

Good luck!

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Thu May 27, 2021 12:54 pm

So the quarantine 15 (or 30) is a real thing... time to hop back on my routine.

I stopped logging food on MFP 2.5 years ago. I was under 200 pounds for the first time in my post-pubescent life after a year of hard work to get there from nearly 300 pounds. I sort of scuttled along and fell into a nice spot of 210 for a while, and then it just kept creepin. It accelerated during the pandemic mostly (I think) due to increased consumption of alcohol and sweets. This weekend, I hopped on the scale... 235. Time to get to work.

Monday I started logging my food again. I remembered how being meticulous and honest was the only way I got to where I was. So far the week hasn't been too bad. Yeah, I've been hungry here and there, but just grab a decent snack and get on with your life. I don't plan to weigh myself daily like I did the first go around. Maybe weekly. And once I get the diet in check and back to where it needs to be, it's time to hit the gym and start running again.

I suppose the bright side is the last time I did this, I set a goal of losing 100 pounds. Mission accomplished, but it was hard as sh*t. Now it's only 25-30 pounds that I'd like to lose.

@dodint How has your whole thing been going? I know you were trying around the same time that I was a few years ago.

Viva la Ben

Health and Fitness

Postby Viva la Ben » Thu May 27, 2021 1:06 pm

I’m almost under 200 (203) for the first time since prepandemic. I was up to 235 from a low of 191.

skullman80

Health and Fitness

Postby skullman80 » Thu May 27, 2021 1:07 pm

Yeah I had a bit of a rollercoaster during the pandemic, def put on some weight. Almost back to where I was pre covid, but not quite.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Health and Fitness

Postby count2infinity » Thu May 27, 2021 1:13 pm

Grats, ben. Keep it going.