Job and General Employment Thread

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 03, 2021 11:46 am

When I was teaching we had something like 2 personal days and 12 sick days per year (numbers could have been a little different, but either way, that's what it was). I would take sick days for just days off. I don't understand why they're different.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon May 03, 2021 11:48 am

Our sick time is uncapped and when you retire it gets added to your length of service. Some folks leave with years of it on the books. It's only a few pay periods for me right now.

When you retire or quit, your leave balance is cashed out to you. I imagine that's why we still keep it separate, or they'd have to cap it to keep people from retiring and taking six-figure sick time cashouts.

I'd rather be under one big PTO accrual but I'm not planning on doing 30 years here.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Mon May 03, 2021 11:49 am

Yeah I dont get it either. And my office is weird about taking sick time so I try not to use it too often.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon May 03, 2021 11:49 am

I just realized that I start my 15th year here in July, and now get up to 40 days off a year (and 120 sick days). :lol: Great, more vacation I'll never use. :face:

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon May 03, 2021 12:02 pm

Company we just purchased had “unlimited PTO.”

I suspect they saved a crap ton of money never paying anyone out for their PTO balance when they left.

It sounded good for about 4 seconds until I realized that I struggle to not lose hours at the end of the year to get down to the 256 hour carryover which at some point I’ll get a check for. But hey no time sheets!

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon May 03, 2021 12:26 pm

Company we just purchased had “unlimited PTO.”

I suspect they saved a crap ton of money never paying anyone out for their PTO balance when they left.

It sounded good for about 4 seconds until I realized that I struggle to not lose hours at the end of the year to get down to the 256 hour carryover which at some point I’ll get a check for. But hey no time sheets!
Unlimited PTO does advantage the company and I don't see how people don't see that.

I worked for one of those companies, and I most certainly felt worse about taking time off there, than at any other company, because they used it against you at times.

Another thing is that certain people were tied to certain accounts that had major retail, so there was no such thing as PTO from October to December 25th.

The people that did take advantage and took more days than anyone else, were looked down upon unfavorably.

Give me 5 weeks of PTO in the system over unlimited, the business would never do that.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon May 03, 2021 12:46 pm

Work lowering our max is going to force me to take more random days off. I'm okay with that.
I horde my PTO like Gollum with the Ring, and even more so since we have been remote full-time, because I don't want to "waste" it.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon May 03, 2021 2:21 pm

So here's today's conundrum and I literally have no idea what to do.

I had an employee text me last Monday to tell me that she was having breathing difficulties likely due to covid and needed time off. I checked on her Monday evening, Tuesday and she said more of the same (via 1-2 word answers). Wednesday she said "hospital tomorrow if another bad night".

Thursday no response. Friday no response. This morning no response to call plus more urgent text.

A few things. #1 she's only like 27. #2 she's kinda new and I have always gotten the feeling she may be flaky given some weirdness around her start date. #3 she definitely is sick because the previous week she sounded horrible on calls but said she tested negative for covid. #4 she has no family or friends in the area.

Idk what to do. Do I call in a wellness check? I have time setup with HR to advise but I don't wanna **** this up from a personal or professional perspective...

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon May 03, 2021 2:34 pm

I would see what HR has to say. Very odd not to hear from her at all though.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 03, 2021 2:46 pm

at my joint, HR completely calls the shots in this case. I would only be an accessory to the process

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 03, 2021 3:02 pm

On a way more serious matter...

I posted this about a month ago: viewtopic.php?p=915736#p915736

The soda thief struck again! Today I had a diet Dr. Peppers in the company fridge and it was stolen. I sent a company wide e-mail and the problem was resolved in 10 minutes. I told the thief I expect a replacement with interest of a snickers bar.

The person that took it claims he couldn't remember if he drank his last week or not...

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon May 03, 2021 4:01 pm

It's time to set a trap. Maybe a nice bottle of Dr. Pepper (it's a singular Pepper, come on c2i) full of ex-lax

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Mon May 03, 2021 4:02 pm

So let me get this straight... you read it close enough to see the s on the end of Dr. Pepper, but not close enough to see that it was a mistake and the problem was resolved?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 03, 2021 4:05 pm

nocera wants payback, dodint.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon May 03, 2021 4:05 pm

So let me get this straight... you read it close enough to see the s on the end of Dr. Pepper, but not close enough to see that it was a mistake and the problem was resolved?
I read that the dude was caught and claimed it was a mistake, as a criminal would claim. DTA.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Mon May 03, 2021 4:18 pm

I read that the dude was caught and claimed it was a mistake, as a criminal would claim. DTA.
:thumb:

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon May 03, 2021 4:31 pm

The Peppers bothered me as well.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue May 04, 2021 10:29 am

Welp, HR has labeled it job abandonment. I made it clear that I had legitimate concern over severe illness/hospitalization just to cover my own tracks.

Awaiting direction on next steps.

What a weird one.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue May 04, 2021 10:32 am

Yeah that’s a weird one. I’ll echo shmenguin and completely punt to HR.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue May 04, 2021 10:43 am

I don't know if lazy is the right word, but seems like HR is punting on this one, too.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue May 04, 2021 10:46 am

I’m sure they are following a playbook and not common sense for legal reasons. “If employee does not show for X days, then “abandonment””

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 04, 2021 10:48 am

I’m sure they are following a playbook and not common sense for legal reasons. “If employee does not show for X days, then “abandonment””
Is that PA law? At my last two jobs, if you don't show up 3 days in a row, it's considered job abandonment. I wonder what happens if they terminate you for that, but you were in the hospital and had no way of really getting in touch with work. Would you be able to get your job back?

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 04, 2021 10:57 am

it is not PA law. PA is an at-will state. Any Job Abandonment policy would be found in the particular employers operating directives.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue May 04, 2021 10:58 am

Is that PA law? At my last two jobs, if you don't show up 3 days in a row, it's considered job abandonment. I wonder what happens if they terminate you for that, but you were in the hospital and had no way of really getting in touch with work. Would you be able to get your job back?
You can reapply.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue May 04, 2021 11:58 am

It's likely discretionary. If she is/was hospitalized, I will basically direct HR to collect the receipts and make a recommendation on how to proceed.