Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 21, 2021 1:32 pm

We work really closely with one of our resellers, so much so that they know everyone in purchasing, etc. Long time relationship. Got an e-mail from one of our money guys asking if we could talk about some licensing renewals that the reseller sent them. It was for $265,000 in licenses that we have yet to actually receive approval on, and realistically won't need it for another 6+ months. Glad he asked, because he was close to submitting it and paying for them. Now we have to have a talk with the reseller to find out WTF he was thinking.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed May 26, 2021 12:54 pm

Just got the official word: return to office will begin slowly with 1-2 days a week in the Summer followed by a return to full time in September. Ugh.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 26, 2021 12:56 pm

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed May 26, 2021 1:23 pm

So I'm going into the office and cleaning out my desk, I'm officially a FT remote employee. Sad, but I can go to the office any time I want and visit it lmao.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed May 26, 2021 1:30 pm

I have a feeling the decision to force everybody back to the office is going to backfire and we're about to lose some good employees. I've already felt a big dejected with the company the past few months and this decision only enforces that. I just re-signed up for a few job boards/email lists.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 26, 2021 1:50 pm

Source of the post I have a feeling the decision to force everybody back to the office is going to backfire and we're about to lose some good employees.
That is 100% going to happen. I've been reading articles for the last month about how employers who limit remote work are finding it much more difficult finding good talent, because covid opened the door for everyone to show that most of this work can be done remotely. I know if I left right now, I would not accept anything less than full time WFH, and that's non-negotiable.

MR25

Postby MR25 » Wed May 26, 2021 1:57 pm

I had an interview with Ohio State about a job similar to mine, but a step up. They said they're likely bringing people back into office in September.

It's a shame. I don't really feel like uprooting everything, especially since virtual work is working so well for everyone. But I also don't want to pass up a potential opportunity for me to get out of my current job.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed May 26, 2021 2:22 pm

Source of the post I have a feeling the decision to force everybody back to the office is going to backfire and we're about to lose some good employees.
That is 100% going to happen. I've been reading articles for the last month about how employers who limit remote work are finding it much more difficult finding good talent, because covid opened the door for everyone to show that most of this work can be done remotely. I know if I left right now, I would not accept anything less than full time WFH, and that's non-negotiable.
I think there's going to be growing pains, and companies are going to have to sway to the remote like they did this open office stuff that was absolutely abysmal for the "atmosphere."

I feel like I wouldn't leave my company if I had to go back to the office at least 4 days a week. I wouldn't be happy, but I'd get over it. If I hated my job, and felt forced to go back? Yea, I'm running away as fast as possible to a better situation.

Thankfully I switched to a new job just in time to even have to worry about any of that stuff.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed May 26, 2021 2:30 pm

The latest rumor here is that we're working on terminating our lease entirely in downtown Philly, so that would be the final nail in the coffin for coming into the office.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed May 26, 2021 2:33 pm

If my company leased the building, I'm guessing the old farts would've been outvoted on the return to office and the board would've opted to save the money. Instead we own the building outright AND just completed a major renovation. No way they weren't going to want people back. It's still stupid though.

We've seen the promised land. I can't go back now.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jun 01, 2021 9:45 am

Today's motivation is strooooong.... real fkn strong

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:06 am

I went on vacation on the 19th. On the 20th I settled my first solo legal matter. On the 21st I was extended my Tentative Offer to make my promotion permanent at my real job. Then I had a kickass non-stop awesome vacation that lasted right up until yesterday. Couldn't really have had a better run during that period.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 01, 2021 10:30 am

They are having a drawing at work for any interested employees to go with the CEO to ring the bell to open NASDAQ trading for the day. All expenses paid. Maybe 10 years ago I would have been interested.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Jun 01, 2021 11:17 am

That sounds awful

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Tue Jun 01, 2021 12:15 pm

Maybe if all expenses includes cash deals on the street corner

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 01, 2021 1:28 pm

Going to NYC just doesn't have the allure it did 30 years ago.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Jun 01, 2021 7:58 pm

Going to NYC just doesn't have the allure it did 30 months ago.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:07 am

This may sound like a silly question, but where do you go to find good information on salary?

I'm approaching my 5 year anniversary working here and I haven't really gotten any huge raises, mostly just standard raises, and I have a feeling as though I'm underpaid for the work I do, but I want to find some information or data that might support that before I go asking for a raise.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:34 am

They are having a drawing at work for any interested employees to go with the CEO to ring the bell to open NASDAQ trading for the day. All expenses paid. Maybe 10 years ago I would have been interested.
I find it slightly insulting, kind of. Nothing like potentially someone winning who makes like $40-$60k to go ring a bell so the CEO can get richer lol.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Jun 02, 2021 9:32 am

I find it slightly insulting, kind of. Nothing like potentially someone winning who makes like $40-$60k to go ring a bell so the CEO can get richer lol.
I'm not insulted but also didn't think of it from that angle. Maybe I will enter the drawing as I could take Amtrak and wouldn't have to deal with airports which, to me, is the biggest pain when traveling.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:02 am

This may sound like a silly question, but where do you go to find good information on salary?

I'm approaching my 5 year anniversary working here and I haven't really gotten any huge raises, mostly just standard raises, and I have a feeling as though I'm underpaid for the work I do, but I want to find some information or data that might support that before I go asking for a raise.
I've always wondered what the harm was to discuss this among your peers at work (other than coworkers getting butt hurt). As in, let's all suck up our pride and let each other know what the other makes. Could even make it anonymous by placing your salary in a hat. Would be curious as to the range of salaries and could use it as a negotiating tool come next pay raise.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:07 am

I've always wondered what the harm was to discuss this among your peers at work (other than coworkers getting butt hurt). As in, let's all suck up our pride and let each other know what the other makes. Could even make it anonymous by placing your salary in a hat. Would be curious as to the range of salaries and could use it as a negotiating tool come next pay raise.
Employees not discussing salary only serves the organization.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:11 am

That's why I love FedGov work. Salary is rigidly based on time and to a lesser extent performance. No 'gender wage gap', no animosity among co-workers. There is an argument that it stifles innovation and creativity, but it's work, not a kindergarten class.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:14 am

When I was interviewing for a promotion at work, I talked with a co-worker who recently went through the same level jump. I knew what she was got as far as percentage increase, so if my offer was any lower, I knew what to ask for. Turns out it's a pretty standard number so I was offered the same increase but at least I came in prepared.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:56 pm

I've discussed promotions and pay increase % with coworkers, but never what each make. Pretty sure that's why one of the coworkers left, he knew the company was screwing everybody not just him.