mikey

Job and General Employment Thread

Postby mikey » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:09 pm

Well, it's blunt if nothing else haha

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:22 pm

"Hey, you think we should run this job ad by legal?"

"Nah, I don't see why. It's not like it violates Title VII of the Civil Rights Act of 1964 or anything like that."

"Ok. Aaaaad, post."

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:26 pm

So would that be an apply, get rejected, access free money glitch in the system through a lawsuit?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:24 am

LBL did you attend a New England-area school? I know a guy.

But seriously, that sucks.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:01 am

Damn sorry to hear that LBL...Don't forget to update your LinkedIn, never know when a recruiter might come across it.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:53 am

don’t fwd your boss an email chain with 20 messages in it and simply say “FYI” in the body of your message
The. F*cking. Worst.

I have a woman that does this all the time and I started responding and saying "if there's anything in here you want me to know, send me 1-2 bullet points"

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 21, 2024 8:31 am

We have non-technical people in technical sales positions. I guess the thought was that we could either find business/sales people and teach them the tech, or find tech people and teach them business/sales. It's cheaper to do the former, so they went that route. Now, there are some that are great. They handle most of the tech stuff up to a certain point, but from time to time, hit a wall and rope one of us technical people in for conversations.

This one guy though... ugh. Unless it's a repeat customer with an obvious solution, he immediately fires us the e-mail. At one point, I handed him a checklist of questions he has to ask before coming to us. I think that fixed things for a month and then he started doing it again. He's simply copy and pasting e-mails from customers to us, and then copy and pasting our response to them, rinse, repeat. I can't help but think of this scene:

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:39 am

Man did I luck out. Our VP gave notice the week before I did. My boss told us today more cuts are coming and it might be a larger portion of our team, including his role. Even if it wasn't me that was going to be cut, I 100% was not interested in rebuilding the team or whatever broke down here in the future.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:47 am

Things work our, Morkle... great timing.

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:47 am

We have non-technical people in technical sales positions. I guess the thought was that we could either find business/sales people and teach them the tech, or find tech people and teach them business/sales. It's cheaper to do the former, so they went that route. Now, there are some that are great. They handle most of the tech stuff up to a certain point, but from time to time, hit a wall and rope one of us technical people in for conversations.

This one guy though... ugh. Unless it's a repeat customer with an obvious solution, he immediately fires us the e-mail. At one point, I handed him a checklist of questions he has to ask before coming to us. I think that fixed things for a month and then he started doing it again. He's simply copy and pasting e-mails from customers to us, and then copy and pasting our response to them, rinse, repeat. I can't help but think of this scene:

Is the former cheaper? Our "sales" individuals are all massively expensive and it would be cheaper to teach tech people sales.

count2infinity

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 21, 2024 9:53 am

The former that we hired are cheaper...according to the sales manager. One dude used to sell cars, one other used to work for a beer distributor. Our sales manager used to sell paper.... I'm not joking. :lol:

It's been a frustration of mine for a while and we've had a few meetings over it. But I don't think they're bringing in as much revenue as a tech person would in a similar position. We're right next to Penn State. You'd think we'd be able to snatch a bachelors level scientist that doesn't want to be locked in a lab all day, travel the country, sell some cool tech, meet a ton of people, and pay them similar levels as these middle aged sales people. AND they get to live in a college town in their early-mid 20's. They'll just have to learn how to use an ERP system.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:06 am

I have a second interview at the nuclear propulsion lab. So that's cool.
My second interview went very well. I am pretty certain they're going to extend an offer. They started the interview by saying that they realize I'm currently full remote and they're looking into all options to see how they can make my transition work. Their schedule is 3 days of the week in office and two telework. If they could nudge that to 2/3 I'd be in.

I really don't mind going into the office if there are taskers to work that involve being on site, but driving to West Mifflin to sit in a cube for no reason isn't going to be fun.

We'll see, they said if I get an offer it would be Friday or Monday.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:12 am

I haven't received a message or email yet today, glorious freedom.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Mon Mar 25, 2024 11:25 am

I have a second interview at the nuclear propulsion lab. So that's cool.
My second interview went very well. I am pretty certain they're going to extend an offer. They started the interview by saying that they realize I'm currently full remote and they're looking into all options to see how they can make my transition work. Their schedule is 3 days of the week in office and two telework. If they could nudge that to 2/3 I'd be in.

I really don't mind going into the office if there are taskers to work that involve being on site, but driving to West Mifflin to sit in a cube for no reason isn't going to be fun.

We'll see, they said if I get an offer it would be Friday or Monday.
Good luck!

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:20 pm

I **** hate JIRA
Ok, I'm officially here now. I thought I was using some clown shoe program with YouTrack, I thought my company went cheap and it was amateur hour. But after exploring Jira, captaining the transition from YouTrack to Jira, and attending parts of "Atlassian University" (lick your own taint, you *****)...and this sucks.

"JQL" - do you really need that level of verbose formality for this? Where JQL commands come and go (you can't query for the child issues and subtasks of an epic any longer apparently...? Like, how is that possible? But it's a very common question around the internet and everyone has a different answer and they generally don't work)

This whole platform seems like it's engineered to handle about 140 to 160% of all possible use cases, and as a result delivers pretty substandard product to what I suspect the core users want to use it for...

Even moving user stories from project to project within Jira is wrought with unintuitive nonsense happening...like, losing my acceptance criteria but keeping it in the "history" of the ticket as...acceptance criteria...

https://if*ckinghatejira.com/ (board censor)

EDIT: Finally found something that worked...I might have tried a dozen functions. "Epic Link" finally did it...it's amazing how many different answers there are in the last five years to this...nothing says, "we have a good thing going here" like swapping base functions in and out in large quantity in six month windows...

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 6:20 am

Source of the post Ok, I'm officially here now.

scb147

Postby scb147 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:28 am

My group uses old school Trac for a ticket/wiki system for our software development. We are still using Subversion for source control, and then Jenkins for automated builds.

We would like to move to Git and I thought maybe moving ticketing platforms as well, and I'll scratch Jira off my list now :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 8:43 am

I don't even attend our Jira meetings anymore. My boss can deal with that ****.

Rylan

Postby Rylan » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:08 am

JIRA is the bane of my existence. Added only by people over complicating it and making it more annoying.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:35 am

The only thing that annoys me about Jira is that people over complicate it, and then NOONE puts updates in it. Then people cry when requirements aren't captured, or are outright missed because people don't use Jira.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:37 am

After spending so long using Remedy we're just happy to have ServiceNow.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:39 am

We have ServiceNow, as well. They serve different purposes for us - and most others, I'm guessing.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:41 am

We're a 'one size' kind of people so 'install a printer' and 'setup logging for that container on that RHEL8 VM' and 'please approve my application for an access card' begin at the same service portal.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Mar 26, 2024 9:44 am

We're a 'one size' kind of people so 'install a printer' and 'setup logging for that container on that RHEL8 VM' and 'please approve my application for an access card' begin at the same service portal.
I wish we were in that same boat, because I hate how we have multiple tools that all do the same thing, but we use pieces of each. It makes no sense.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Mar 26, 2024 3:14 pm

After spending so long using Remedy we're just happy to have ServiceNow.
we use ServiceNow and it makes me want to slam my dick in a drawer