Job and General Employment Thread

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:26 pm

i thought nocera was a lady for some reason
Because his name ends with an "a"? That threw me off at first too.
i thought there was a pronoun in play at some point where maybe he told a story with a "she" in it, and i mixed up who the subject was.

we should all be required to include the He/Him designation here as a footer to our posts, IMO.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:45 pm

Had a free exam voucher, so I decided to take a Citrix exam, since my last cert expired long ago. Wound up having more than a few obscure questions about systems that everyone I know told me I wouldn't get many of, if any at all. Still passed, but I was worried for a minute there.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:06 am

Come back to the office or face pay cuts:
Morgan Stanley’s chief executive said he expects all New York City employees to be back at their desks by Labor Day — or they will face salary cuts.

“I’ll be very disappointed if people haven’t found their way into the office and then we’ll have a different kind of conversation,” James Gorman said in a virtual conference Monday from the bank’s office at 1585 Broadway.

“Make no mistake about it. We do our work inside Morgan Stanley offices, and that’s where we teach, that’s where our interns learn, that’s how we develop people,” the head honcho added.

“If you can go into a restaurant in New York City, you can come into the office.”
https://nypost.com/2021/06/15/morgan-st ... c-offices/

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:18 am

Had a free exam voucher, so I decided to take a Citrix exam, since my last cert expired long ago. Wound up having more than a few obscure questions about systems that everyone I know told me I wouldn't get many of, if any at all. Still passed, but I was worried for a minute there.
My certs have been long expired, so I'm looking at some different stuff to learn. I took a Powershell course that I don't think I even finished in the early to mid 2010s. I figured I knew enough that "well this shouldn't be too bad. I can just jump into an intermediate course and hit the ground running." It might not have been the dumbest decision I've ever made, but it's really high up on the list.

"Ok, well I'll take this lower one that isn't as bad." That didn't work out as well either.

So basically I had to come back on the ground floor and learn everything from scratch, which tbh is probably what I should have done when I decided to start sniffing around the online courses.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:28 am

Come back to the office or face pay cuts:
Morgan Stanley’s chief executive said he expects all New York City employees to be back at their desks by Labor Day — or they will face salary cuts.

“I’ll be very disappointed if people haven’t found their way into the office and then we’ll have a different kind of conversation,” James Gorman said in a virtual conference Monday from the bank’s office at 1585 Broadway.

“Make no mistake about it. We do our work inside Morgan Stanley offices, and that’s where we teach, that’s where our interns learn, that’s how we develop people,” the head honcho added.

“If you can go into a restaurant in New York City, you can come into the office.”
https://nypost.com/2021/06/15/morgan-st ... c-offices/
:lol: **** them, sounds like JP Morgan.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 11:32 am

My certs have been long expired, so I'm looking at some different stuff to learn. I took a Powershell course that I don't think I even finished in the early to mid 2010s. I figured I knew enough that "well this shouldn't be too bad. I can just jump into an intermediate course and hit the ground running." It might not have been the dumbest decision I've ever made, but it's really high up on the list.

"Ok, well I'll take this lower one that isn't as bad." That didn't work out as well either.

So basically I had to come back on the ground floor and learn everything from scratch, which tbh is probably what I should have done when I decided to start sniffing around the online courses.
Oof - yeah, PowerShell is one where so much happens in such a short period of time that it's really difficult to start in the middle or where you left off. I haven't taken any PS exams, but I noticed that in some of my classes. Took an advanced class a while back and was lost for a bit of it - and I'd like to think that I'm a better than average PS guy. There's just so much stuff you can do with it that it'll make your head spin.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:24 pm

The JP Morgan thing does kind of make sense. If you were hired to work in the office and your salary was set with that expectation then an adjustment would be appropriate if you're making NYC money but living in CT/NJ/DE/PA.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:25 pm

How much of a salary cut are we talking about here?

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:29 pm

If my employer did this, it would drop my locality adjustment from 19% to 15%.

Not sure what amount JP has in mind. If they even thought it through that far.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:18 am

The JP Morgan thing does kind of make sense. If you were hired to work in the office and your salary was set with that expectation then an adjustment would be appropriate if you're making NYC money but living in CT/NJ/DE/PA.
Yeah, that was my thought too. I'm all for remote opportunity but there are definitely a lot of people that are trying to have their cake and eat it too.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 16, 2021 7:29 am

Unless I'm missing something, those people are still actually living in NYC.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Wed Jun 16, 2021 2:35 pm

The salary situation is interesting and bad for companies in lower cost of living areas.

I just lost an employee to a company in Chicago thats paying him 50k more for a similar role. I wasnt even able to match. Only could move up 30k which was a small miracle in itself.

It's going to get corrected soon, but the lesson learned is look for remote jobs out of big cities right now I guess.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:40 am

The company that I'm working with has brought in these douchebags from KPMG. **** these guys.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:33 am

Many people say KPMG guys are the worst

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:36 am

Many people say KPMG guys are the worst
My experience with them is they blow into town, make all sorts of demands, and then leave.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:16 am

I have not had good experiences with KPMG

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:42 am

I'm in KPMG hell myself right now. The MO is to come in, get their tentacles wrapped in everything so tightly that you can't unwind them out. We're about 65% tentacled right now. Or more.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Jun 17, 2021 5:31 pm

KPMG sponsored a health-law conference in Baltimore that I went to years ago. They rented out the Baltimore Aquarium in the evening and put on a massive spread of food that included an oyster bar. You could get crab cakes and fresh oysters (shucked on teh spot) and then go watch the dolphins play with a volleyball. I don't give two craps about accounting, but I'll take a high-end buffet any time, anywhere.

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:31 pm

I just had the pleasant experience of being yelled at by our HR woman for the company not appreciating her enough and she ended by saying she is looking for other jobs and she will be here next week but not sure after. This all came from me looking to order lunch for some visiting people next week (I was just going to take care of it) and somehow we ended up there.

I prefer to stay out of drama, but do I need to tell my boss about this (he is an exec).

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:43 pm

We are having a department meeting in Chicago the last week of August. Keep in mind we aren't going to be back in the office until at least September so it's going to be weird. I think my VP just loves spending money and my guess is our travel and expense budget pool is massive right now.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 8:49 pm

I just had the pleasant experience of being yelled at by our HR woman for the company not appreciating her enough and she ended by saying she is looking for other jobs and she will be here next week but not sure after. This all came from me looking to order lunch for some visiting people next week (I was just going to take care of it) and somehow we ended up there.

I prefer to stay out of drama, but do I need to tell my boss about this (he is an exec).
I have no idea what the correct answer is, but that sounds like a mess I’d want absolutely no part of.

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:50 pm

I have no idea what the correct answer is, but that sounds like a mess I’d want absolutely no part of.
Agreed. I wish I somehow didn't step in this.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:03 pm

She's angry that you made plans for lunch without consulting her?

obhave

Postby obhave » Thu Jun 17, 2021 11:27 pm

She's angry that you made plans for lunch without consulting her?
I think generally she is feeling unappreciated, I've gotten that vibe before. So when I tried to plan a lunch and didn't consult her first (I think she sees some of these planning things as her role) I think it just opened a flood gate.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:36 am

KPMG sponsored a health-law conference in Baltimore that I went to years ago. They rented out the Baltimore Aquarium in the evening and put on a massive spread of food that included an oyster bar. You could get crab cakes and fresh oysters (shucked on teh spot) and then go watch the dolphins play with a volleyball. I don't give two craps about accounting, but I'll take a high-end buffet any time, anywhere.
I just enjoy this post juxtaposed against your post in Health & Fitness... :lol: