Job and General Employment Thread

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon May 10, 2021 11:59 am

lesson for you kids at home...If you've never had a phone call or an email exchange with someone, you don't send them an instant message. that's the equivalent of walking into their office waving your arms and expecting them to engage with the weird stranger in front of them.

IM's are for this: Urgent questions, ongoing communication with established team, bosses terrorizing subordinates.

That's it. That's the full list. Stop abusing it. And don't discuss anything you'll need later. That's for email.
This seems to be an international thing with me. I'll get the random "Hello?" IM from a complete stranger within the company. Or somebody that I've dealt with very rarely and not within the past year.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 10, 2021 12:04 pm

lesson for you kids at home...If you've never had a phone call or an email exchange with someone, you don't send them an instant message. that's the equivalent of walking into their office waving your arms and expecting them to engage with the weird stranger in front of them.

IM's are for this: Urgent questions, ongoing communication with established team, bosses terrorizing subordinates.

That's it. That's the full list. Stop abusing it. And don't discuss anything you'll need later. That's for email.
This seems to be an international thing with me. I'll get the random "Hello?" IM from a complete stranger within the company. Or somebody that I've dealt with very rarely and not within the past year.
yeah, offshore people (including Euros) and the corporate, internal functions. they have no concept of people needing to execute tasks, and just interrupt at will

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon May 10, 2021 12:22 pm

Also, if you are going to IM me or text me for work- just ask/tell me what you need to ask/tell me.

If you send a text that says "Hi Ronnie" or "Good Morning sir", It's gonna go unresponded to. Get to your point.

dodint

Postby dodint » Mon May 10, 2021 12:23 pm

Nah, brah.

IMs are the new phone call.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon May 10, 2021 12:30 pm

i love IMs for all communication

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon May 10, 2021 12:31 pm

Yes, it's 2021 now. I'd much rather someone IM me with an issue and if needed then we can hop on a call

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 10, 2021 12:40 pm

Or just use email. Because you get the same result if your request matters, and this way it’s documented and you aren’t being annoying.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon May 10, 2021 12:43 pm

Also, if you are going to IM me or text me for work- just ask/tell me what you need to ask/tell me.

If you send a text that says "Hi Ronnie" or "Good Morning sir", It's gonna go unresponded to. Get to your point.
Yeah, I do this (the not responding part, I don't even look at the salutation), just in case I am unwilling or unable to handle your stupid thing right now,.you're not gonna suck me in with a "good morning"....

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 10, 2021 12:46 pm

My bosses do the “hey” thing. I reply to them and ghost everyone else.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon May 10, 2021 12:55 pm

Or just use email. Because you get the same result if your request matters, and this way it’s documented and you aren’t being annoying.
These are simple things like - hey, I saw this and not sure if I should do X or Y, what do you think? Much rather would get an IM for that and just answer quickly. Emails are for complex issues that need some time to digest and figure out. Basically IM is subbing for a phone call here, as dodint said

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon May 10, 2021 12:58 pm

Yeah, I do this (the not responding part, I don't even look at the salutation), just in case I am unwilling or unable to handle your stupid thing right now,.you're not gonna suck me in with a "good morning"....
I usually just deflect or tell them to log the ticket if they have a request that needs done through IM.

I hit people up with the "Hey X" because screen sharing is a thing and I'd rather let them tell me they're available to chat instead of bombarding them if they're screen presenting.

Otherwise, it goes into e-mail.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon May 10, 2021 1:03 pm

shmenguin's original point is IM's from people you don't know, or barely know. If I get an IM from somebody I have no previous interaction with, they can get bent.

It's different if you're working in a services department and don't want 100 emails a minute.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 10, 2021 1:12 pm

i love IMs for all communication

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon May 10, 2021 1:12 pm

Eh - If I hadn't met someone, I'll reach out on IM to do an introduction. We use teams, so it's as spontaneous as ever, given we can meet within the chat as well.

I just think this is the new way we're gonna work, so it doesn't really bother me. If someone asks for work within a chat, I just respond and tell them to log a ticket. Only time I request work is a) because I manage people now, or b) we're on a team. Everything else gets directed to e-mail, ticket system, or ask for an official meeting.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon May 10, 2021 1:15 pm

That may be true Morkle, but I'm in a different line of work. Nobody is issuing me a ticket. I'm a mechanical engineer. I get IMs from people in Australia asking for a parts catalog or drawing. It's not the proper channel and I'm already busy enough with other work as it is.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 10, 2021 1:16 pm

You guys are all fired

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon May 10, 2021 1:17 pm

It's not official until it's sent via IM.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Mon May 10, 2021 2:00 pm

That may be true Morkle, but I'm in a different line of work. Nobody is issuing me a ticket. I'm a mechanical engineer. I get IMs from people in Australia asking for a parts catalog or drawing. It's not the proper channel and I'm already busy enough with other work as it is.
Well of course different strokes for different folks.

You can also just say "no" if someone is going to ask for work within chat lol.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 11, 2021 3:14 pm

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue May 11, 2021 3:18 pm

Having some commuting time, whether it’s walking, on public transit, or in a car, gives us an opportunity to let our minds wander and explore ideas. In these moments, you replay conversations from the day. Maybe you plan your discussion with your boss about a raise. You have time to process.
Oh **** off.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue May 11, 2021 3:20 pm

Having some commuting time, whether it’s walking, on public transit, or in a car, gives us an opportunity to let our minds wander and explore ideas. In these moments, you replay conversations from the day. Maybe you plan your discussion with your boss about a raise. You have time to process.
Oh **** off.
These people have had 15 months to craft the perfect statement to bone all their employees into coming back into the office and this is what they come up with.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue May 11, 2021 3:20 pm

hahahaha

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 11, 2021 3:20 pm

Oh **** off.
:lol: Exactly.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue May 11, 2021 3:20 pm

Think of the missed break room birthday celebrations.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue May 11, 2021 3:21 pm

Or that asshat boss that walks around burping and farting.