Job and General Employment Thread

Kane

Postby Kane » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:34 pm

Yeah, that sounds like a sinking shop, DG. Time to up and R U N N O F T.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:56 pm

I’m technically not losing my insurance - my employer just isn’t covering their part of it, which is almost all of it. I pay $94 a month pre tax, they pay $500 per month or so. I’d be on the hook for $600 a month. On top of the salary reduction, canceled stipend, and no retirement match.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:03 pm

Yikes

This is a snap judgement, but I agree that I don’t think you can be added to mrs DG’s insurance because you aren’t losing your coverage. The price of it just doubled. It’s worth a call to see. Maybe a price jump in premium cost is a life changing event…?

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:15 pm

Brah it didn't double it went up 600%

meow

Postby meow » Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:27 pm

Numbers. All numbers!

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:05 pm

Worth inquiring about, IMO.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:03 pm

I love Cook-Out.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:34 pm

I love Cook-Out.
Just don't go their with any students.

mamaemeritus

Postby mamaemeritus » Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:27 am

R U N N O F T.
Love this reference :fist:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:48 am

New PM on our project didn't schedule recurring meetings after our kickoff, which was a month ago, until this week. He chose Friday afternoons. Declined, reminded him about our policy against Friday afternoon meetings. I assume it'll take him another month to get this rescheduled.

PMs are the **** worst.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:24 am

Friday before a three (or four) day weekend and I'm the only one in the office.

This wouldn't be a big deal normally except our official reopening is on Tuesday. I figured there would be a few people scrambling around. At the very least I figured there would be a few people putting their office back together, since a good number of them took their monitors, docks, etc. home.

Which means Tuesday will probably a shtshow for me.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 10:58 am

Yikes

This is a snap judgement, but I agree that I don’t think you can be added to mrs DG’s insurance because you aren’t losing your coverage. The price of it just doubled. It’s worth a call to see. Maybe a price jump in premium cost is a life changing event…?
This is correct, unfortunately. My employer not contributing to my insurance premium isn’t a “special eligibility event” like loss of a job, divorce, death of the spouse, marriage, etc.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Jul 07, 2021 11:46 am

I was out of town last week, and forgot that my employer was closed Friday and Monday, so the announcement was made a few hours before a four day weekend. Of course, that left people stewing about it all weekend.

I found out one of my staff emailed HR after the meeting for clarification on the insurance stuff, but HR was completely blindsided by the announcements and had no additional information to share. Totally normal, I'm sure.

I did some adding up, and if what they are proposing actually happens, I'll be taking a 28% paycut (which includes paying out of pocket for health insurance and loss of adjunct stipend). It doesn't include loss of retirement match, which was 3.5%.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Mon Jul 12, 2021 8:48 am

Tuesday has become the new Monday. The day is mostly booked with meetings, and people are always trying to shoe horn in more meetings in the small time slots I have between. I'm fine with keeping Fridays pure and holy from meetings, but any other day is up for grabs, find another time slot.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:42 pm

Does anyone on the board have a medical Marijuana card?

I'm curious how your employers handle it regarding drug testing?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:47 pm

I was out of town last week, and forgot that my employer was closed Friday and Monday, so the announcement was made a few hours before a four day weekend. Of course, that left people stewing about it all weekend.

I found out one of my staff emailed HR after the meeting for clarification on the insurance stuff, but HR was completely blindsided by the announcements and had no additional information to share. Totally normal, I'm sure.

I did some adding up, and if what they are proposing actually happens, I'll be taking a 28% paycut (which includes paying out of pocket for health insurance and loss of adjunct stipend). It doesn't include loss of retirement match, which was 3.5%.
I've never heard of such a drastic employee deepdicking.

Get out of there, but in the meantime you may be able to qualify for your wife's insurance under extenuating circumstances. I'd look into the process of eligibility appeals. They may tell you "extenuating exschmenuating" but they may not. Worth a try.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:54 pm

Yes, but I do not work for a company that drug tests corporate staff.

That said, we did recently hire someone that does have a card, and tested positive, and it was fine. And that was a nurse working in a clinical setting.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 12:57 pm

That said, we did recently hire someone that does have a card, and tested positive, and it was fine. And that was a nurse working in a clinical setting.
That's why I was asking actually. My wife's company hired someone with a card and it caused a SNAFU when she showed it to them. I guess her rapid test was positive but send out was negative. So technically if she didn't show the card she'd have had zero issue. The company has a zero tolerance though, because of their field employees (construction). And her backwards boss and president of the company are just butchering what they should be doing. If I was the employee I'd be contacting an attorney.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:01 pm

Some states have regulations on testing for THC...depending on corporate policy, the medical review staff may contact individuals about positives and ask for a MJ card or a prescription depending on the nature of the positive and the panels run...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:02 pm

That's why I was asking actually. My wife's company hired someone with a card and it caused a SNAFU when she showed it to them. I guess her rapid test was positive but send out was negative. So technically if she didn't show the card she'd have had zero issue. The company has a zero tolerance though, because of their field employees (construction). And her backwards boss and president of the company are just butchering what they should be doing. If I was the employee I'd be contacting an attorney.
Definitely worth contacting an attorney. We drafted a form for the new hire to sign that she would not use it prior to or during work.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 1:38 pm

They basically said she can be hired but she's still subject to random testing and if a positive comes, she'd be fired regardless. Seemed wrong, but I was curious what the law (in a civil case) would do.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:15 pm

What state are we talking about...?

meow

Postby meow » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:56 pm

The state of being blazed out of your **** mind

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 3:56 pm

Pennsyltucky.

My sister is the hiring manager and my wife is the HR rep. So I get to hear a lot of fun stories. And by fun I mean not fun.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:07 pm

PA has no restrictions on testing for THC in non-regulated pools. So, it's really the employers' choice, in short. Now, obviously, you can appeal to them about having that medical marijuana card, but you're gonna get hit with that "at will" stuff and all that...

There's about a dozen states (plus Boulder, Colorado) that don't allow for this kind of testing in a non-regulated setting, so there's obvious precedent...it'd be an interesting employment law case probably...