Job and General Employment Thread

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Wed Jun 23, 2021 10:55 am

We have pulse meetings in my group once a week. It was said from the beginning that it should take a few minutes and just be used for heads up. Now it takes 30+ minutes and everyone justifies their work since last meeting

Edit: my point is not that it is very much time on the whole but that meetings tend to expand
Last edited by Lelldorin on Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 11:10 am

Man your meetings sound like a chore. I just got off a zoom call with Bob Sagat.
He is at the improv this weekend right?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:18 pm

There are days where imposter syndrome absolutely gets the best of me. Then there are mornings like today where I feel like I've been firing on all cylinders and my boss tells me he's incredibly happy I joined his team and I'm doing great.
I struggle with imposter syndrome. Regular therapy topic.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jun 23, 2021 12:37 pm

I would trade my Tuesday 1PM meeting for daily 15-20 minute meetings and even let you throw in an extra meeting on Friday for the heck of it. It's a call with a customer in Long Island that has absolutely no filter. Telling us we are on crack, F you's flying. That's fine in any other circumstance but it comes off as completely unprofessional and gives us no incentive to actually do the work.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed Jun 23, 2021 1:10 pm

Man your meetings sound like a chore. I just got off a zoom call with Bob Sagat.
He is at the improv this weekend right?
Yessir

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:00 pm

From time to time I look at job postings in my are of expertise. Not so much to look to move away from this job. I love it here and am on a pretty much inside track to upper management in the next 5 or so years. I mostly look to find competition for our services and maybe see some companies I've never heard of before.

Today I found one that in the description it mentions they're looking for someone to "at some point move" to their headquarters in Hawaii. Ya know, if I were single and didn't like my job as much, I'd consider it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:10 pm

Well, since you can become a scientist, I guess I can do that, too, in my spare time...

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:22 pm

Got another email solicitation from a headhunter, probably my third this year.

-Same size institution I'm at now
-Identical building usage (college libraries are now home to tutoring and advising centers etc.)
-No salary listed
-And it's in Baltimore

Nope. :lol:

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:56 pm

Got another email solicitation from a headhunter, probably my third this year.

-Same size institution I'm at now
-Identical building usage (college libraries are now home to tutoring and advising centers etc.)
-No salary listed
-And it's in Baltimore

Nope. :lol:

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Jun 30, 2021 7:37 am

Someone in my building needs to hydrate better. Every morning there is always one toilet in the bathroom that's never flushed and it looks like mango lemonade.

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:42 pm

**** me, someone **** up the 2280 cells of data on a shared Google Sheet and no one is fessing up. Make my next project dead in the water until it's addressed.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:46 pm

No tracking enabled?! Oof.

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Jun 30, 2021 1:53 pm

Oh it is, that's why I say someone won't fess up. It has date and timestamps down to the minute in the edit history, but when i inquired about I got the standard "wasn't me, dunno what happened" response. Even my boss called BS on it.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:22 pm

Screenshot their name from the log and reply all.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:28 pm

Wait, aren't old versions of Google Sheets recoverable? I know I've done this on my personal Sheet where I track my finances

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:36 pm

In this case, it's technically not my pig or farm. I have access to edit the sheet and I rely on it, but I'm not the creator. It looks like they reverted it to a past version like robbie said, but the in the meantime the story went from "I haven't done anything to it lately and the interns don't have access to it" to "I let an intern view it and they must have messed something up".

Hopefully this jamoke didn't ruin some kids summer by shifting blame

Kane

Postby Kane » Wed Jun 30, 2021 2:53 pm

And now, said jamoke has stated that he can have his rights to edit the sheet revoked, since he doesn't really need to. Just admit that you boned it, punk.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 8:07 am

July is 3 paycheck month, and my vacation time cash out deposit just dropped.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:05 am

FUBO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!?

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:06 am

Read that as FUBO and thought maybe it shot up in PM.

Edit: Nice correction... but still.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:08 am

Never a bad time to expand your position in FUBO.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 9:59 am

On Friday, before I went on vacation for a week, my supervisor called for an impromptu budget meeting. I’ve been in my position for five years, with two supervisors, and this was the first time I’ve had a meeting about our budget.

As one would assume, it wasn’t good news. 25% budget cut and the potential loss of two positions. We’ve had another position open but we were unable to get quality applicants, so that’s now closed as well. When I got here in 2007, we had 8 full time and 2 part time staff, plus student workers. Now we’ll be down to four staff and whatever student workers we are allotted. Fortunately, we’ll be able to reduce our hours of operation this year, which we weren’t allowed to do last year.

It’s a combination of fewer high school students graduating and our school no longer gives out huge discounted tuition to entice students to come (and thus raise our enrollment numbers, but actually net less tuition because of the large discounts given out). Huge turnover in coaches also leads to students transferring to other schools as well. Our previous president - shitcanned in September 2019 for fiscal issues and getting caught in a comprising position with a male athlete in the back seat of his college issued ride in the Cook-Out parking lot - loved the big splashy “Largest Enrollment Ever!” press releases each fall, but with those large numbers came more marginal students and those not paying enough to keep us solvent.

So this will be a fun school year. More with less, as always.
The good news is that I know about it early in the fiscal year (which actually started today). With our previous president, we wouldn’t know anything about cuts until later in the year, when it’s impossible or very difficult to cut anything (the bulk of our budget are annual subscriptions to electronic journals and databases, signed in July each year).

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:31 pm

But wait! There’s more!

We had another budget town hall and now we’ve had 10% salary reduction (at least), loss of 403B match (3.5% currently, in 2007 when I got here it was 7%), and the kicker: not paying their share of our health insurance premium. Some of this might be mitigated if enough people voluntarily retire or separate first. And I’m losing my adjunct stipend for the courses I teach, which is about $5000 a year.

Looking at my wife’s insurance, I can’t be added immediately because a spouse’s employer stops paying premiums. At best, I would have to be added during open enrollment in October and not on her insurance until January 2022.

Looks like it’s high time to move on.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:33 pm

But wait! There’s more!

We had another budget town hall and now we’ve had 10% salary reduction (at least), loss of 403B match (3.5% currently, in 2007 when I got here it was 7%), and the kicker: not paying their share of our health insurance premium. Some of this might be mitigated if enough people voluntarily retire or separate first. And I’m losing my adjunct stipend for the courses I teach, which is about $5000 a year.

Looking at my wife’s insurance, I can’t be added immediately because a spouse’s employer stops paying premiums. At best, I would have to be added during open enrollment in October and not on her insurance until January 2022.

Looks like it’s high time to move on.
Yeah, seems like the signs are there. I'm in a similar boat, searching around for jobs. Nothing too intense yet, but my eyes are peeled

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 3:34 pm

Source of the post At best, I would have to be added during open enrollment in October and not on her insurance until January 2022.
Are you sure? A loss of your own insurance should qualify as a life changing event, no? Either way, sorry to hear all of that. It sounds like an awful situation.