meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Job and General Employment Thread

Postby meow » Fri May 20, 2022 9:49 pm

Looks like butthole sneezing is back on the menu boys

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Fri May 20, 2022 11:59 pm

Yikes. Are you full stack...? What's your skill set?

My company stinks overall, but the dev team is decent (except one, who I'm strongly considering replacing), but we already won the fight about coming back into the office...the last guy we hired - straight out of code boot camp or whatever - is from Houston and he's been a terrific fit and contributor.
full stack but like others have said I’m in management now (I wouldn’t mind going back to engineering for the right opportunity)

I decided that I’m likely going to resign on the same day as my manager’s last day on June 9 (he’s resigning to start his own company…it’s kind of cool. Web 3.0 stuff. They have venture capital money and at some point he said he would be down to hire me). I will be be between jobs (like I said I’m actively applying and interviewing) but I genuinely think it will benefit my mental health as long as it’s not catastrophic with a bad injury sans-insurance or I’m unemployed for a long time which I genuinely don’t think I will be because I have a lot of employable assets. I hope

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue May 24, 2022 12:19 pm

/vent

Background: I’ve been in recruiting for a little over a decade since I left teaching. I know what works and have been a top performer in every company I’ve worked for. Currently I really like my company but we don’t pay our entry level employees dick.

Just got off a call with my area manager where he chewed me out for people accepting other jobs before they start with us and one of his managers threatened to quit if it happened again. I let him know I can’t compete with jobs paying 16-20k more than we offer for the same or similar work. His response was that I should hire them faster so they don’t have a chance to find and apply to other jobs. Clearly they have zero idea how job hunting is done in modern times. Candidates typically shotgun out applications and go with whatever company gets to them first AND pays the most. I have no control over this and it’s insanely frustrating.

/end rant

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue May 24, 2022 12:44 pm

Clearly it's you not being fast enough and they're finding out they can be paid better.

meow

Postby meow » Tue May 24, 2022 12:51 pm

Yeah dude. Lie to and deceive young, naive people just entering the workforce so shareholders make more money. Come on, dude

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 24, 2022 1:05 pm

Had a conversation with my wife today. She finally got a job offer but still has some opportunities closer to home she hasn't heard back from. She said she'll feel really bad if she commits to Place 1 today and Place 2 calls back at the end of the week and says they want to hire her. I told her its business and you can't turn away Place 2 if it's what you think is best, even if it hurts Place 1 for a week or two.
So, Place 1 calls back this afternoon with a final offer that is actually more than the salary range she provided. Their reasoning is that she is such a great fit for them and they are eager to hire her. I'm pretty sure my wife is committed to Place 1 now, regardless of what Place 2 does.

So, just do that, PB.

Curious question though, for you recruiter and HR types. If Place 2 did show up with a screaming offer and she does decline Place 1 post-offer, do you think Place 1 still has candidates to go back to? I assume yes, because a ton of places have told her that they will let her know by XX date and then she never hears from them again. My presumption is that they've tendered an offer to another candidate and they're not alerting non-selected candidates until that person onboards. With the thought that even a soft rejection would be tough to walk back so it's easier to just ghost everyone until the position is actually onboarded. We do this in FedGov which is why you'll get a random rejection six months down the line. I actually got into FedGov because I was tendered a random offer several months after my interview, someone clearly backed out and they went back to the candidate list.

meow

Postby meow » Tue May 24, 2022 1:23 pm

Second place dodint. That checks out

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Tue May 24, 2022 1:27 pm

You probably told her this, but I'd call place 2 and either ask for an update or show my hand and say I got a great offer, but you're my choice. Do you want me.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Tue May 24, 2022 1:28 pm

Several months... He might not even had been the first loser. Then again it's the government so he might have been the first choice.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 24, 2022 1:30 pm

Source of the post His response was that I should hire them faster so they don’t have a chance to find and apply to other jobs.
This person is completely out of touch with reality, IMO.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 24, 2022 1:32 pm

You probably told her this, but I'd call place 2 and either ask for an update or show my hand and say I got a great offer, but you're my choice. Do you want me.
Yeah, that's what I told her. Use Place 1 almost as leverage for Place 2. But she thought calling them on a Tuesday when she was promised 'end of week' wouldn't be too pushy. She is too nice for this, basically. ;)

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 24, 2022 1:33 pm

Several months... He might not even had been the first loser. Then again it's the government so he might have been the first choice.
The announcement was for a vacancy with three openings. So realistically I could've been anywhere between 4th and 9th+ on the list. ;)

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue May 24, 2022 1:41 pm

My philosophy as a recruiter is always do what’s best for the candidate. So even if someone calls me after we’ve offered and says they feel bad or whatever my advice is to go with the better offer. I have zero interest in screwing someone over or jeopardizing a candidate’s experience/my reputation over filling a seat. There are always more candidates and if it’s specialized enough that there aren’t applicants then the company needs to go the extra mile to keep them.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue May 24, 2022 1:57 pm

holy ****. I no longer work at my company

I put my 3-ish week notice in yesterday. Today the director of engineering and our departmental HR rep ask to get on a call with me and inform me that they’ll pay me through my resignation date but that today is my last day. Something happened between upper management and I and I think that’s why they went ahead and just ended it

shits weird man. I was planning on being unemployed anyway but the swiftness of how quickly they ended it was dizzying

**** now I’m unemployed

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Tue May 24, 2022 1:58 pm

My post is in a way related Pavel’s recruiting gripes too. I am sick of for profit companies treating employees like ****.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 24, 2022 1:59 pm

IME, that's pretty common in IS - especially if you have elevated access to lots of stuff. At any rate, this is a good thing because you now have 3 extra weeks to dedicate to job searching.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue May 24, 2022 2:08 pm

My post is in a way related Pavel’s recruiting gripes too. I am sick of for profit companies treating employees like ****.
Non-profits treat their employees like **** to. If there is money to be made someone is going to get stepped on. At least in America.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 24, 2022 2:10 pm

Source of the post Non-profits treat their employees like **** to.
Not as bad as private, but we're certainly not exempt. On top of that, non-profit generally pays less, too.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 24, 2022 2:12 pm

IME, that's pretty common in IS - especially if you have elevated access to lots of stuff. At any rate, this is a good thing because you now have 3 extra weeks to dedicate to job searching.
Yup. As a guy that works in cyber I can confirm we do not allow any IT folks access to the systems once they've indicated their intent to leave. They teach this pretty much universally (similar to job rotation, compulsory time off, etc.).

Congrats, MiMH. Onto the next thing.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 24, 2022 2:17 pm

Yup. As a guy that works in cyber I can confirm we do not allow any IT folks access to the systems once they've indicated their intent to leave. They teach this pretty much universally (similar to job rotation, compulsory time off, etc.).

Congrats, MiMH. Onto the next thing.
I will say that there are times where it would benefit the company to simply disable the user's elevated account so that they can actually transition their work to others. That has bitten us a few times where we were left scrambling after the person left and was unable to actually tell people how to manage the system that they built and maintained.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue May 24, 2022 2:18 pm

Sure. But at least it's secure. You're welcome.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 24, 2022 2:20 pm

Speaking of secure, my old company didn't change the passwords of at least 3 service accounts with domain admin rights for nearly 4 years after I left. One of them still hasn't been changed, and I left 9 years ago...

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue May 24, 2022 3:02 pm

I have been let go a day or so after giving notice, too. In my case, there was a pending takeover/acquisition/buyout/whatever afoot, and all employees who gave notice during this time were let go short of their notice date. (With full payouts, so nbd) It was sorta funny. I say live it up.

There were a couple other times when I gave notice that perhaps I should've been let go early.............. *doot-dee-do*

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue May 24, 2022 3:11 pm

I gave my last company 3+ weeks' notice, and regret taking the high road. They deserved for me to quit on the spot and suffer more than they did.