Job and General Employment Thread

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:09 pm

Sounds like they're going to bring her back (allow her to start?) and say it's fine since this test was negative, but you get no special treatment and your card doesn't get you out of jail free if you get a random and it comes back positive.

mikey

Postby mikey » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:38 pm

Yeah, that's their (dumb) choice as a private employer...I'm also subject to random drug testing, and once got tested immediately after a music festival one time, and..........I can find no record of that test in our system to this day. So, I can only assume that they did it, saw the results, and destroyed it because firing me is a bad idea haha

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:10 am

Heard through the grapevine that my employer is, in fact, ending their lease at our center city location. If true, this would likely be the final nail in the coffin for returning to the office, since that building hosts thousands of IS workers.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:23 am

The construction industry is friggin desperate for employees and this construction company is basically just hiring someone with the intent of firing the same person when they fail a piss test. Awesome.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 16, 2021 4:05 pm

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 8:30 am

So after a few weeks of relative radio silence, more details have finally emerged about my employers impending fiscal collapse response:

- The health insurance premium changes will not go into effect until January, so I'll be able to join my wife's insurance plan without a lapse in coverage during open enrollment in October. Glad they came to their senses on that.

-Select faculty and staff will be notified if they are eligible for an early retirement package on July 23

-Staff positions will be eliminated on Monday, July 26. My guess is the number of retirements will inform our admin about how many positions will be eliminated

-No salary reductions per se, just furloughing to be announced at a later date.

The 23rd is the end of a pay period, and the 26th is the beginning of the next period (and a Monday). Not sure why things couldn't have been moved up a few days into a single pay period.

I know of two and possibly three people leaving our institution to go teach in the local public school district. That's how bad it is - districts are hemorrhaging teachers, and our people find refuge in those rural public schools. One of my staff would get a $15K raise compared to what she makes now.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:40 am

Heard through the grapevine that my employer is, in fact, ending their lease at our center city location. If true, this would likely be the final nail in the coffin for returning to the office, since that building hosts thousands of IS workers.
Confirmed today.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:53 am

Nice :thumb:

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:55 am

We were given a list of states we could move to without leadership approval. Beautiful spots like Idaho, Kentucky and Florida were listed.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Jul 20, 2021 10:55 am

Mmmm, bourbon.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:15 pm

We were given a list of states we could move to without leadership approval. Beautiful spots like Idaho, Kentucky and Florida were listed.
How did they come up with that list?

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:20 pm

Call me crazy but scenery and cost of living wise you could do a lot worse than Kentucky. Louisville is a pretty cool city.

No way I'd live in Florida year round. Idaho is one of a few states I've never been to so no opinion one way or another.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:30 pm

Man, Idaho would be very tempting. Gotta be careful around Coeur d'Alene because a bunch of West Coast people have moved there and are now ruining that spot too. But there are huge sections of Idaho that are just beautiful.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:33 pm

Man, Idaho would be very tempting. Gotta be careful around Coeur d'Alene because a bunch of West Coast people have moved there and are now ruining that spot too. But there are huge sections of Idaho that are just beautiful.
Was about to say something similar. My MIL grew up in Coeur d'Alene and the things she says about it then vs. now makes me sad. Never been there but would love to visit some day.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:45 pm

How did they come up with that list?
I don’t know. I was on PTO when it was released and don’t care so I didn’t ask who/why

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:57 pm

If my wife had it in writing that she could move and still retain her job, I'd be looking at the west coast tomorrow.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:52 am

Just think how much faster your package deliveries will be out west.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 6:30 am

Just think how much faster your package deliveries will be out west.
Why, do they only use UPS and USPS out west?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:43 am

My screens are getting out of hand:

I wanted to be able to put my laptop for my law firm (on the left) on my desk but I'm effectively out of room. The laptop on the right is my work laptop and can utilize the two right monitors. My desktop can utilize the three monitors. I configure them based on my needs for the day. I'd like to take one of them vertical but they don't fit under the hutch that way.
Maybe I'll swap the locations of the laptops.
Also, my 4-way KVM died years ago and now I only have a two-way. Sad.

My eyes kind of scramble if I sit there too long as it is, adding the new laptop is making it worse. :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:47 am

Using the smaller screens with those larger ones would drive me nuts, honestly.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Jul 21, 2021 11:56 am

It doesn't bother me. I put collaboration tools on the small laptop, like Teams and e-mail. I use the bigger monitors for the important stuff. ;)

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Jul 21, 2021 12:20 pm

I just went off on someone (or at least, by my standards).

As most of you know, I am a recruiter. In a very difficult industry to find staff right now.

I submitted a fantastic candidate last week. I let them know she is currently at $38/hour, but we would need to be "right around $40" to be competitive, which is not unreasonable for what this person does.

I get an email from her today letting me know our regional manager only offered her $37/hour; when she asked why it was so low, the Regional Manager told her that "Matt told me that we didn't need to be close to that number".

What in the ever-loving ****? I would NEVER say that, knowing how brutal is to find people right now. On top of that, two minutes later I get an email from the regional showing the text exchange between he and the candidate, and I CAN SEE RIGHT WHERE HE TOLD HER THAT!! I would never, ever, ever suggest offering a candidate less than they are making now. And what's amazing is that he actually suggested we shouldn't even let her temp in our offices anymore, because of that exchange. Which to be honest, was mild IMO and I don't blame her for being pissed. He made it sound like I took a number from her and then told my team to lowball her anyway.

I am going to be interested to see what his response is. That is a stone cold lie that makes my team and I look terrible.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 2:57 pm

I've been getting more than more messages through LinkedIn about job openings lately, and one thing I am noticing is that a lot of these guys are specifically calling out that the positions are 100%, full-time remote. This latest one even says I can work in any time zone in the continental US.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:50 pm

All of our recent job postings have been designated as anywhere in US, relocation not necessary, so I guess that bodes well for whenever the return to work plan is released in September.

Co-worker of mine is Wisconsin recently got a new manager who failed upwards into the role. Hates people being allowed to work from home and has taken up the habit of making unprovoked video calls to his employees and then chastising them if they don’t answer immediately. Entire team immediately started looking for new jobs. Nice management skills.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:55 pm

lol what person as a manager even thinks that's remotely OK?