Job and General Employment Thread

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri May 07, 2021 1:18 pm

way to go mikey

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri May 07, 2021 1:49 pm

New update. She surfaced on Wednesday with 2 near-jibberish texts that were missing context, and did not respond to my straightforward follow up question of "were you hospitalized".

In her jabbering it seems she intends to show up to work on Monday. I have a bunch of conditional actions depending on how that goes.

Step 1 is wait. I'm not going to say a word to her and if I don't hear anything by about 4pm, I'm scheduling a 5pm meeting entitled "touchpoint" with nothing in the body. That my "you **** with me" move.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri May 07, 2021 2:27 pm

my company is so risk averse i can't even imagine writing "were you hospitalized" to a subordinate.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri May 07, 2021 2:44 pm

Yeah I hope that one doesn't come back to bite me

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri May 07, 2021 2:47 pm

That's a risky question? Why?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri May 07, 2021 2:53 pm

Because her admission or lack of admission to a hospital dictates my next step (i.e. how much "flexibility" I can give her). And contextually, earlier in the conversation before things got weird, she said she was experiencing breathing difficulty and I suggested she consider getting medical attention bc I was legit nervous for her.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri May 07, 2021 2:53 pm

HIPPA?

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri May 07, 2021 2:54 pm

Long story short my HR is pretty useless. They do little more than present options.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri May 07, 2021 2:55 pm

"Earlier in the conversation" refers to the day 2 weeks ago when she informed me she was ill.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri May 07, 2021 2:55 pm

HIPPA?
It's not really HIPPA though.

If I'm insanely sick that I missed a lot of work, I would absolutely expect my boss to check in and ask if I had to be hospitalized.

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri May 07, 2021 3:01 pm

It's not hipaa at all. She has no obligation to share. It would be different if I retaliated based on her lack of response. But I wouldn't do that. My primary concern was her well being and once I confirm that I can figure out what else needs to happen.

I would say at this point 80/20 she's **** me.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri May 07, 2021 3:14 pm

Yea, that's not really a terrible question to ask given the conversations that already happened, and her just outright going radio silent. Given COVID protocols, she may have had nobody to relay messages etc.

Who knows, I don't find fault in it.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Fri May 07, 2021 4:02 pm

welp, just got the "time to get your ass back to work" e-mail. 2 days a week starting in june, full-time in August. the real loser in this situation is my dog, who will have to lay around and sleep all day alone instead of laying around and sleeping all day with a few interruptions of me petting her.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri May 07, 2021 4:07 pm

Quit your job and open a doggy day care

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri May 07, 2021 4:10 pm

We take our dog to doggy day care twice a week (even when we were WFH full time)...and that place is booming all the time. It basically prints money I'm sure. It's been great for our dog though.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri May 07, 2021 8:19 pm

I've noticed from Facebook and the like that there is rampant confusion over what the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act (HIPAA) actually does. A small part of the HIPAA law (which mostly applies to other subjects) creates certain specific privacy and security obligations for "covered entities," which are doctors, hospitals, and health-insurance companies. HIPAA does not apply to any other entities. HIPAA does not prohibit anyone from asking about health information. HIPAA does not make all health information private. And the only entity that has the ability to bring enforcement actions under HIPAA is the Office of Civil Rights of the federal Department of Health and Human Services. There is no way for a private person to sue anyone over an alleged "HIPAA violation." So, if someone says "You can't ask me about my health! It violates HIPAA!" or "I'll sue anyone who asks me about health stuff because that violates my HIPAA rights!" they don't know what they're talking about.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri May 07, 2021 8:37 pm

That has been the case for as long as I can remember, FWIW. I don’t even bother trying to explain HIPAA to anyone anymore.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Fri May 07, 2021 8:54 pm

That has been the case for as long as I can remember, FWIW. I don’t even bother trying to explain HIPAA to anyone anymore.
Had to watch a HIPPA video for work the other day and I still can't spell it correctly.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Sat May 08, 2021 6:26 am

Had to watch a HIPPA video for work the other day and I still can't spell it correctly.
That’s because the people we’re talking about think it actually stands for Health Insurance Particulars are Prohibited Act…

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Sun May 09, 2021 4:28 pm

If they truly believe that, then all it does is prove how out of touch they are with their workers.

:lol: That article didn't go over well with her employees:

Washingtonian magazine staffers launched a day-long protest on Friday in response to an op-ed written by their boss, who warned that continuing to work from home as the pandemic subsides could make employees less valuable and easier to “let go.”

Cathy Merrill, chief executive of the D.C.-centered magazine, shared her concerns about the popularity of remote work in a Washington Post op-ed published Thursday, originally titled: “As a CEO, I want my employees to understand the risks of not returning to work in the office.”

While some employees may want to “work from home and pop in only when necessary” after the pandemic, Merrill argued, the dynamic may create a “strong incentive” for bosses to convert full-time workers into contractors, who get paid by the hour or output and lack benefits such as health-care coverage and retirement accounts.

“Although there might be some pains and anxiety going back into the office, the biggest benefit for workers may be simple job security,” she wrote in her conclusion. “Remember something every manager knows: The hardest people to let go are the ones you know.”

Washingtonian staffers were shocked. Many perceived the op-ed to be directed in part to them — a veiled threat to their jobs.

The magazine’s assistant photo editor, Lauren Bulbin, called the article “truly terrifying.”

“I feel really humiliated,” she said. “Every single person I know in my life read that op-ed and contacted me about it,” she said. “People I respect in the media industry and beyond came to me and were really shocked that this is where I’m working.”
https://www.washingtonpost.com/media/20 ... an-strike/

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 10, 2021 10:46 am

I’ve never thought this could be a thing, but in the weekend debriefing chitchat, I asked a guy at work if he was married with kids as sort of a prompt for casual commiseration. He said no...which was surprising given the guy in question. And now I’m wondering if he’s either lonely or gay - and of this is sort of a soft equivalent to bringing this holiday up to a childless woman?

We were wearing matching polos. I should have left the chitchat train at that station.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 10, 2021 10:47 am

Also why does “ch!t” autocorrect to “Godric”

Kane

Postby Kane » Mon May 10, 2021 10:58 am

I think that was a filter evasion on godric's part.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Mon May 10, 2021 11:04 am

edit oops see this was addressed above n at

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Mon May 10, 2021 11:52 am

lesson for you kids at home...If you've never had a phone call or an email exchange with someone, you don't send them an instant message. that's the equivalent of walking into their office waving your arms and expecting them to engage with the weird stranger in front of them.

IM's are for this: Urgent questions, ongoing communication with established team, bosses terrorizing subordinates.

That's it. That's the full list. Stop abusing it. And don't discuss anything you'll need later. That's for email.