mikey

Job and General Employment Thread

Postby mikey » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:18 am

ulf with the knee on knee to his long time employer...nice work :thumb:

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Oct 01, 2021 10:48 am

Never feel guilty leaving a job
This. Sometimes the hardest part is the people and leaving them. But you know at the end of the day you've most likely made the correct choice. Especially if this has been in your head for a while and wasn't a knee jerk emotional move.

eddy

Postby eddy » Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:52 am

"Excited to go back to the office" give me a break. I've been back in the office since last August. :roll:
Same, we are back to zoom meetings when everyone is in the office and the funny thing is the desktop PCs are not outfitted with cameras so we all have laptops sitting on our desk all day for this ridiculousness.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:22 pm

Never feel guilty leaving a job
This. Sometimes the hardest part is the people and leaving them. But you know at the end of the day you've most likely made the correct choice. Especially if this has been in your head for a while and wasn't a knee jerk emotional move.
The partner that brought me in 11 years ago is a family friend and coached with my dad. I didn't get a chance to talk to him yesterday but did today and he took it way better than I thought. So I feel a lot better today.

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:29 pm

Whats funny is outside of this board, no one I know is looking for new jobs or part of the "great resignation". Yet, here we have lots of people moving!

Congrats all :)

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:52 pm

Spoke with what would be my boss' boss today, trying to get some clarification on some details for my counteroffer.

They really, really do not want to do work from home. Yet they don't pay well enough for me to rent something until we can move in the Spring or summer. My direct supervisor, who isn't in on these negotiations but is talking to his boss behind the scenes offered a 4 day, 10 hour a week on site work week...which means a 3.5-hour roundtrip commute or renting an apartment from December-May. In a touristy, expensive part of SC.

The whole thing just sucks. Current job and potential new job are both pushing me over the edge. My resting heartrate has been up 5 points over the last 2-3 weeks (thanks, Fitbit!) and insomnia has been brutal.

On top of this struggle, this afternoon, I get to meet with my current boss to determine how our department is handing furloughs for the remainder of the year. I get to work for 16 unpaid days between now and June 30, if I'm still here. I've got to figure out how to schedule 24 furlough days for the three of them, and still keep the doors open.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 12:56 pm

Ulfie ftw, good on ya mate.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:11 pm

Since everyone else is doing it, I guess this is a good time to mention I was recently promoted, along with a solid raise.

Was a rough year or so for the company due to the pandemic, but our group got a bunch of contracts at once and the company as a whole has recovered.

Congrats to everyone for the recent jobs, I've lost track of all the names.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:11 pm

Spoke with what would be my boss' boss today, trying to get some clarification on some details for my counteroffer.

They really, really do not want to do work from home. Yet they don't pay well enough for me to rent something until we can move in the Spring or summer. My direct supervisor, who isn't in on these negotiations but is talking to his boss behind the scenes offered a 4 day, 10 hour a week on site work week...which means a 3.5-hour roundtrip commute or renting an apartment from December-May. In a touristy, expensive part of SC.

The whole thing just sucks. Current job and potential new job are both pushing me over the edge. My resting heartrate has been up 5 points over the last 2-3 weeks (thanks, Fitbit!) and insomnia has been brutal.

On top of this struggle, this afternoon, I get to meet with my current boss to determine how our department is handing furloughs for the remainder of the year. I get to work for 16 unpaid days between now and June 30, if I'm still here. I've got to figure out how to schedule 24 furlough days for the three of them, and still keep the doors open.
Let me give you a peek behind the curtains here, DG. I have almost 50 people report up through me. I am in interviews multiple days a week. I’ve seen it all basically. This new place is putting the screws to you. They know the situation your current school is in. They know you are a rat leaving a sinking ship. They are trying to get you on the cheap. I would tell them about the potential gaps you have and how you don’t want to move the fam in the middle of the year. You really want the job, but they need to meet you halfway. A temporary housing stipend. A work from home flexibility. Something. Because you’re in a tough spot. These people are human. Unless they are complete asshats, they should give a bit. And if they are complete asshats, you don’t want to work with them anyway.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:17 pm

Let me give you a peek behind the curtains here, DG. I have almost 50 people report up through me. I am in interviews multiple days a week. I’ve seen it all basically. This new place is putting the screws to you. They know the situation your current school is in. They know you are a rat leaving a sinking ship. They are trying to get you on the cheap. I would tell them about the potential gaps you have and how you don’t want to move the fam in the middle of the year. You really want the job, but they need to meet you halfway. A temporary housing stipend. A work from home flexibility. Something. Because you’re in a tough spot. These people are human. Unless they are complete asshats, they should give a bit. And if they are complete asshats, you don’t want to work with them anyway.
Completely agreed - especially that last sentence.

Congrats, Wicked!

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Oct 01, 2021 4:35 pm

@meow yeah, I said the same thing to my wife this morning. :thumb:

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:24 pm

Well said, kitty cat.

This is the time where they're supposed to be trying to woo you. If this is their best, imagine their worst.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sat Oct 02, 2021 7:45 am

Congrats twc!

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:08 am

Congrate twc!

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Oct 02, 2021 8:09 am

Congrate twc!

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Sat Oct 02, 2021 5:31 pm

My company just offered full time remote work for its 50k US employees.

We’re usually ahead of the curve on these things. commercial real estate is gonna go through some stuff.

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:48 pm

"we are planning an outdoor get together at the office for October 22 from 2-4pm"

Good. I hope it pours rain.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:53 pm

:lol:

mac5155

Postby mac5155 » Mon Oct 04, 2021 5:55 pm

It's for our united way campaign kickoff, but still. I don't want to be there.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:00 pm

Well my old firm made last Friday my last day since I'm going to a competitor. New place wants me to start 10/25. Say your prayers for three weeks of good weather for your boy. This could either be ****ing great or just the most boring stretch of my life.

dodint

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:01 pm

Hit me up if you want to watch some bad golf in person. :lol:

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:02 pm

No job having muffukah

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:03 pm

No job having muffukah
Thanks Biden!

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:03 pm

Lol dodint

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Tue Oct 05, 2021 1:10 pm

Getting any break in between jobs is the literal best feeling ever. No stress from the past, and nothing to be worried about in the future yet.