Job and General Employment Thread

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:00 pm

I was hired as Director of Operations but I do a lot of what you'd call Personal Assistant duties (for instance, his washing machine broke last night and he texted me at 1030pm asking me to get a technician out there ASAP). Would it be proper to meet with my boss and ask him if I am indeed his personal assistant as well? And, if so, would a raise be out of the question?

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 18, 2021 12:47 pm

I'm not sure if there were any job duties outlined for you to start...but if this seems way out of line of your expectation, I'd have the discussion...

If you were given a position where it's like, "Hey, we're just gonna try to figure this thing out, whatever it takes..." then, it gets a little hairy...

Regardless, it's all about knowing your audience. A conversation with the right person is never a bad thing...

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:12 pm

This sounds to me like "other duties as assigned". Sorry dude!

King Colby

Postby King Colby » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:13 pm

Does anyone else have a person at work who spells their name incorrectly but gets pissed when you spell it wrong (right)?

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:20 pm

Your role as "director of operations" probably puts you under a pretty big umbrella of stuff you are responsible for. It wouldn't hurt to have a talk with your boss, but I'd go in with realistic expectations.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:21 pm

Am I the only one who thought that story was heading towards PFiDC personally fixing his washing machine?

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:24 pm

Am I the only one who thought that story was heading towards PFiDC personally fixing his washing machine?
I fixed his reverse osmosis system a few weeks ago...

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Jun 18, 2021 1:25 pm

Oh definitely...I was disappointed that it didn't turn that way...PFIDC in that Maytag repairman outfit, showing up, high as a goat, at 11 pm on a Thursday..."hey maaannnn, I'm here to like fix your warsh, man..."

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:08 am

Doing my one day a week again in the office...still mostly empty. I think there were like 75ish people signed up to come in today. Our max capacity right now is I think up to 50% which is like 600 people.

I'm less motivated to do work because I'm annoyed I'm sitting here after driving in when I could still be at home doing the same thing. They did at least lift the mask mandate so I don't have to sit here with a mask on all day. Still "socially" distant open seating.. which is funny in it's own way.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:12 am

Source of the post I'm less motivated to do work because I'm annoyed I'm sitting here after driving in when I could still be at home doing the same thing.
You need to go out and have some water cooler moments! Collaboration, **** yeah!

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:17 am

Source of the post I'm less motivated to do work because I'm annoyed I'm sitting here after driving in when I could still be at home doing the same thing.
You need to go out and have some water cooler moments! Collaboration, **** yeah!
One of our global higher ups is supposed to be here this week... hoping they stop and ask me how I feel about being back in the office :lol: :lol:

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:18 am

We're having a big shindig today to celebrate being back onsite full time. Local BBQ company is coming in to serve up food, we'll have lawn games, music, etc.

I'd say the new policy is the best of both worlds. People that can work from home can up to two days a week. There were a couple full time remote workers prior to the pandemic and they'll remain, but now everyone that can work from home has the option to do so twice a week if they'd like. It can be something regular (say every Thursday, Friday), or it could be sort of on the fly which is the way that I plan to use it to start.

Being in a rural area, I think it's a little different than in the city. I'd say the average employee lives about 15-20 minutes from the building. I know I only live 7-10 minutes away. The people that are really excited about the work from home policy are the people that live an hour or more away, so I fully get that.

It's just nice to be back to somewhat normal along with the flexibility to work from home if I want to.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:20 am

One of our global higher ups is supposed to be here this week... hoping they stop and ask me how I feel about being back in the office :lol: :lol:
One of the guys on my team attended a recent 'coffee with [execs]' meeting, which they hold monthly. He said that our CIO stressed that we have to remain flexible, citing that people will leave in this new age of working. I've read countless articles on this topic, including stories from workers on Reddit, and I'm glad that our management team appears to be on the right side of this debate.

If they told us to come back in, I'd spend the rest of my day working on my resume and hitting up all of my industry contacts. I already get a ton of **** in LinkedIn as it is, and my status isn't even 'searching'.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:32 am

The thing is..I like my job alot. I love the people I work with, my boss is great, I get paid well and feel appreciated. If I told my boss tomorrow hey I need to be home 3 or 4 days a week instead of 2 once we go back to how we were pre-pandemic he wouldn't blink.

I'm not at that point though.. we will see how things go once we get back into the full swing of things by the end of the year and traffic and such picking up. Today there was zero traffic coming in and I got here in like 20 minutes. (Leaving my house at 7:10am). That will change though as more people start coming back into the city over the next few months.

The guy who I replaced and is now a PO is moving to Mississippi and he is staying in the same role and converting to full time remote since he's out of state.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:39 am

Source of the post The guy who I replaced and is now a PO is moving to Mississippi and he is staying in the same role and converting to full time remote since he's out of state.
My company apparently made numerous 'exceptions' recently for a number of people who decided to move, and remain in their current position. If they reverse course, this would be my first play - asking for an exception. My entire role is engineering our virtual desktop infrastructure that affords employees the ability to work anyone on earth with an internet connection.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:48 am

My work had a town hall with the leadership level down from the CEO. Someone asked an anonymous question "when will you let us go back to being remote?"

It got 100+ hand raises before it was removed and addressed as "not beneficial to the meeting."

I'm sure that did wonders for your office collaboration.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 8:59 am

Not even willing to address it? Oof.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:13 am

No they're pretty clearly all in on this "office collaboration and strategic discussions don't happen at home" bit. I don't disagree with them, but we're not talking strategy 24/7, so eventually that only takes you so far. Just really disheartening and I'm glad I'm remote anyways.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:20 am

Office was overcrowded before the pandemic, during which there was a massive hiring boom that remains ongoing as my department alone looks to hire 60 more full time employees before September. No word on what the actual “return to the office” arraignments will be, but we had to fill out a survey last week regarding our in-person work intentions. 3+ days a week was the only way to get your own cube and desk. Anyone that said they don’t want to come in at least three days a week will have to find a shared workspace….but it doesn’t seem like we’ll be required to go in for a minimum number of days per week.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:23 am

We just got an email from leadership (snippet below).. which sounds good in theory, but I guarantee people won't limit their friday afternoon meeting stuff...

In support of our ongoing commitment to your wellbeing, as well as our hybrid way of working, I am pleased to share that we will adopt a 2021 Flexible Summer program for our North America employees during the summer months, effective July 2 to September 3.

Whether you choose to call it “free up Friday afternoon" or “summer hours,” our intention is the same: Creating more room to balance your work and personal life. To be at our best for our customers, their patients/consumers and each other, we must continue to prioritize our mental and physical health. I know after the intensity of last year, being able to organize our work in a way that allows us a longer weekend break will be welcome for many of our employees.

To do this, we will encourage you – when possible – to wind down your week by 1 p.m. local time on Friday afternoons. Naturally, we have many employees working on site with our customers who need to be available and responsive to their needs at all hours. To help that group also find a bit more time to recharge, please limit internal meetings and communications on Friday after 1 p.m. This will help those members of our team focus on key priorities and wind down earlier than they normally would whenever possible.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:27 am

“return to the office” arraignments
heh

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:28 am

I would leave at 1. **** your meeting.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:30 am

I have Friday afternoons blocked out with "backlog" from 1-3:30 most weeks anyways just so people don't schedule meetings. Doesn't stop people from doing it anyways. Ditto with lunch. I've learned to just decline stuff at this point unless its an emergency.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:38 am

Summer hours sound pretty great to be honest. Today is our first day of "No meeting Wednesdays." Clearly this is a direct response to a survey where employees complained about too many meetings. My guess is "No meeting Wednesdays" leads to "**** ton of meetings Thursday."

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Jun 23, 2021 9:38 am

I have Friday afternoons blocked out with "backlog" from 1-3:30 most weeks anyways just so people don't schedule meetings. Doesn't stop people from doing it anyways. Ditto with lunch. I've learned to just decline stuff at this point unless its an emergency.
Yea, in my new role, lunch basically doesn't exist - so I've kind of gone this route, of taking at least an hour somewhere throughout the day where I hard block it off, and nothing goes there unless i's a 5 alarm fire.