Job and General Employment Thread

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:26 pm

I sat in on a coffee tasting panel today to determine what coffee our company goes with for the break room... :lol:
And the result was?

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:35 pm

That's awesome, c2i. It'd love to do something like that

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Dec 15, 2016 12:47 pm

I sat in on a coffee tasting panel today to determine what coffee our company goes with for the break room... :lol:
And the result was?
My favorite was the cheapest option and then from there it was expensive to least expensive. It was blind, but apparently the other coffee lovers had a similar order to mine.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:40 am

In recognition of Army's victory over Navy, The Chief of Staff of the Army has encouraged giving Soldiers a training holiday to celebrate this accomplishment and strengthen the connection between West Point, Army Football, and our Soldiers serving around the world. . .[we] will follow the CSA's encouragement and execute this Training Holiday on Monday, 19 Dec. All currently serving (active duty) members of the military are authorized a training holiday. Liberal leave is in effect for 19 December for Civilians. Please cancel or reschedule any events and meetings that are not mission essential to allow for maximum participation of the workforce.

Congratulations to the Army Football team and the United States Army—HOOAH!
Stop it, it's **** dumb, it's just college football. This is the kind of **** that makes people hate government workers.

If I decide to not come in Monday it still counts against my leave balance so it's not a holiday at all, either. My point of my rant is that absolutely nothing will get done in Dept of Army on Monday since so many yokels will be home doing nothing those that do come to work won't be able to accomplish anything that requires collaboration.

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:50 pm

Good guy DG66 told his staff to go home at 2:30 today. Now I'm here, holding down the fort by myself, hours before our two week Christmas holiday. Feels good man.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 3:51 pm

:thumb:

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 4:27 pm

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:08 pm

I am at the end of my second week, and I still do not have access to the ADP eTime app. Payroll has to manually enter my hours after my supe approves them. It took nearly the full two weeks to get set up with an account for the employee store. And I still do not have the Legal Copy Database on my laptop. I was told that every time they hire someone here it's like the first time they've ever hired someone, and between the protracted interview/hiring process to the rocky onboarding, it has not fallen short of that warning.

That said, the company party tonight is an exclusive performance of Cirque du Soleil 'Luzia', which does not suck. Also, the temporary venue is the parking lot of AT&T stadium, all of about 800 feet from our apartment building.

cma3585

Postby cma3585 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:19 pm

Unemployment compensation just saved my ass from bills I wouldn't be able to pay since I got laid off a week ago for the second time in 7 months. Mental health field going strong! Good news is, this was the final push in my decision to go to grad school to get my masters next fall since a BS in Psychology is absolutely useless.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:20 pm

And the result was?
My favorite was the cheapest option and then from there it was expensive to least expensive. It was blind, but apparently the other coffee lovers had a similar order to mine.
We have a big Starbucks machine. Grinds and brews on demand. All you can drink for free. No big deal.

...though I don't exactly love the bucks

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:23 pm

In recognition of Army's victory over Navy, The Chief of Staff of the Army has encouraged giving Soldiers a training holiday to celebrate this accomplishment and strengthen the connection between West Point, Army Football, and our Soldiers serving around the world. . .[we] will follow the CSA's encouragement and execute this Training Holiday on Monday, 19 Dec. All currently serving (active duty) members of the military are authorized a training holiday. Liberal leave is in effect for 19 December for Civilians. Please cancel or reschedule any events and meetings that are not mission essential to allow for maximum participation of the workforce.

Congratulations to the Army Football team and the United States Army—HOOAH!
Stop it, it's **** dumb, it's just college football. This is the kind of **** that makes people hate government workers.

If I decide to not come in Monday it still counts against my leave balance so it's not a holiday at all, either. My point of my rant is that absolutely nothing will get done in Dept of Army on Monday since so many yokels will be home doing nothing those that do come to work won't be able to accomplish anything that requires collaboration.
This is definitely not the kind of thing that makes people hate government workers.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Dec 16, 2016 6:42 pm

Sthap.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:06 pm

How many holidays do you actually get as a government employee?

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:08 pm

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:12 pm

That's less than I thought, actually.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:23 pm

After 14 years you accrue 8 hours of leave and 4 hours of sick time per pay period though. That's nuts considering we start losing it at 240 hours. That's why there is no one around at the end of year at a federal agency. I accrue 6/4.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:24 pm

That's more like it!

MR25

Postby MR25 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:38 pm

I forgot to put in my time card for the week... Guess that's what happens when you only work for 6 hours on Monday and are out sick the rest of the week.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Dec 16, 2016 7:47 pm

. . . the employee store.
Oh?

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:01 pm

Just PM me if you want a Nathan Drake plushy, or a Last Guardian t-shirt in Japanese.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:05 pm

I forgot to put in my time card for the week... Guess that's what happens when you only work for 6 hours on Monday and are out sick the rest of the week.
Someone returns your expense report and you don't get paid. ;)

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Dec 16, 2016 8:46 pm

Just PM me if you want a Nathan Drake plushy, or a Last Guardian t-shirt in Japanese.
But . . . I uhh . . . Okay.

Reveutopique

Postby Reveutopique » Fri Dec 16, 2016 10:39 pm

My co worker is an employee of a successful band (he has like 9 things that he does at any given time.)

I feel different conflicting emotions about what I'm about to say.

There is a person retiring at my current company. His favorite band is the same band my co worker works for. I think I made a mistake in telling him that my co worker knows them. I need to keep my big mouth shut from now on. My boss asked me if I could try to very something autographed. I told him the band isn't on the west coast right now and won't be for months but I can ask my co worker for memorabilia.

My co worker told me he tried to get a pick, some drum sticks and a crew t shirt but he could only find the crew shirt. He said he would look for the sticks this weekend. I personally was very grateful that he even agreed to do it. He put alot of thought into it and he doesn't even know the person it's going to.

So I gave the crew t sorry to my boss. At the time and even now we were dealing with a work crisis and maybe I was dumb in thinking the shirt would cheer him up.

I told him I was working on getting him sticks and he thanked me and said he owed me one (a completely separate discussion).

But I could tell he was disappointed. I told him the shirt was rare, from the band's 25th and last tour together. That made him feel better for a moment but he was sick on being something signed. I understand his desire bc it is for a guy who is independently wealthy and has been a staple of our company for decades. He is beloved by all and I want him to have the best retirement party and gifts.

However, my co worker is busy, doing the best he can and I never wanted to ask him for a favor since he is so used to people asking him. I never wanted him to think that's why I want to be his friend but I thick now, what choice does he have but to look at me that way.

I guess I feel angry at myself for putting myself in this position.
I feel annoyed that my boss wasn't more impressed after my co worker went through all the trouble.
But I also feel like I'm letting my boss down when he fought for me on certain things that were important to me.

Kicksave

Postby Kicksave » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:32 am

Source of the post I guess I feel angry at myself for putting myself in this position.
I feel annoyed that my boss wasn't more impressed after my co worker went through all the trouble.
But I also feel like I'm letting my boss down when he fought for me on certain things that were important to me.
I would think that if you expressed this to your friend, that s/he would understand.

malkintent

Postby malkintent » Mon Dec 19, 2016 11:35 am

there you go thinking again