Job and General Employment Thread

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed May 01, 2024 11:06 am

There has been a lot of talk lately of under-performing on revenue, reforecasting, blahblahblah... Basically all the usual talk that happens before sweeping changes are made to an organization. At this point I'm just hoping to get through the summer before anything happens.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Wed May 01, 2024 11:22 am

I hate when people try to make their mistake an everyone else problem.

Our sales have been below projections so far this year. Lots of reasons for it, but it comes and goes. Sometimes we ride high, sometimes we just need to ride out the low times and get through. April was looking really healthy and it appeared we were going to exceed projections for the first time in a long time. Our sales manager was running around celebrating with everyone about being above projections, telling everyone we'd hit our numbers and her and her team's hard work has been paying off (not true, it's just the way our industry cycles), woo woo rah rah stuff.

Well, we had a hiccup on our manufacturing floor late last week that put our whole process about a half day behind. That half day of missed shipments carried over to May instead of April and we came in at 0.5% below projections for the month.

Rather than "whoops, shouldn't count my chickens before they hatch", her response was an hour long meeting this morning for the manufacturing manager to walk the business team through what happened... which was really summed up as "sh*t happens sometimes."

She went off at one point in the meeting about how she looks like an idiot now to the whole company because she was telling everyone about how we were going to beat projections, and my manager said "well... maybe don't do that next time." :lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed May 01, 2024 4:08 pm

There has been a lot of talk lately of under-performing on revenue, reforecasting, blahblahblah... Basically all the usual talk that happens before sweeping changes are made to an organization. At this point I'm just hoping to get through the summer before anything happens.
Aaaand we just got an invite for a half hour "organizational update" tomorrow at 9:30.

mikey

Postby mikey » Wed May 01, 2024 4:10 pm

Ooooh, jeeeeeeezzzzussss...good luck, sir.

Rylan

Postby Rylan » Wed May 01, 2024 4:11 pm

I feel like work has been the most stressful this past year than any point in my professional career. And I have been around 2 different companies shutting down....

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Wed May 01, 2024 5:08 pm

Aaaand we just got an invite for a half hour "organizational update" tomorrow at 9:30.
Ugh. Sorry man. Hope it turns out not to be what it probably is.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed May 01, 2024 5:54 pm

That sucks man. Hope it all turns out okay. Have the struggles been legitimate or has it been like my shitshow where they profit $1B in the quarter but because they projected $1.1B now we're broke.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed May 01, 2024 5:56 pm

just decline the invite and hide. they can’t lay you off if they can’t find you.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed May 01, 2024 6:03 pm

That sucks man. Hope it all turns out okay. Have the struggles been legitimate or has it been like my shitshow where they profit $1B in the quarter but because they projected $1.1B now we're broke.
That’s the thing that really confuses me. Oh we had one of our best years ever but fell short of projections. Clearly the answer is to lay people off. Line can’t always go up, it’s absolutely crushing to the work force but we’re all just numb to it.

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed May 01, 2024 6:23 pm

Thanks fellas. Knowing how this company works, it’ll end up being a good announcement and they got everybody freaked out for no reason. As for the struggles, covid took a toll on the numbers but we’ve been slowly crawling back to pre-2020 revenue. We’ve improved every year and as far as I can tell we’re on track to out perform 2023. Of course they budgeted way more revenue than we realistically could achieve so now the forecast looks rough despite continuing to improve year over year since 2020.

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed May 01, 2024 6:49 pm

And it's never the executives (the ones who came up with those projections) who go when those numbers aren't met, it's the front line workers.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed May 01, 2024 6:49 pm

And it's never the executives (the ones who came up with those projections) who go when those numbers aren't met, it's the front line workers.
Can’t fire the most expensive people. Rearrange the lower levels and make them all work more.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Wed May 01, 2024 10:03 pm

I know it might not be realistic but LinkedIn is one of those websites I’m really hoping I never have to log into again

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu May 02, 2024 9:44 am

Well, that was unexpected. Not a re-org. The CEO was fired after a lengthy investigation that revealed "behaviors and actions inconsistent with our code of conduct and values." Sounds like he was harassing employees and several came forward. Obviously they didn't get into what exactly happened but I'm sure the rumors will be floating around soon.

When the meeting opened with the chief HR officer, head of legal, and the head of the board, I thought we were done for.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu May 02, 2024 9:44 am

Oh wow ...guess that is a good thing and a bad thing all at once. Glad you still have a job though.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu May 02, 2024 9:45 am

Same. Still probably not a bad idea to update the old resume.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu May 02, 2024 10:08 am

Yikes. It sucks that something like that can be considered a 'relief', but woof.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri May 03, 2024 6:54 am

Same. Still probably not a bad idea to update the old resume.
I know we've been dunking on LinkedIn (with good reason) but I would do the same there.

Joegap

Postby Joegap » Thu May 09, 2024 4:07 pm

Boss just sent a PowerPoint back and told me to be more creative and innovative with it... Guess she wants some word art and sick transitions.. time to polish up the resume

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu May 09, 2024 4:13 pm

did you try writing entire paragraphs in your presentation? that’s a big thing people want to do when watching a presentation is read an essay

MR25

Postby MR25 » Thu May 09, 2024 4:16 pm

Boss just sent a PowerPoint back and told me to be more creative and innovative with it... Guess she wants some word art and sick transitions.. time to polish up the resume

Don't forget to animate the text boxes too. Manual pathing is optimal.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 09, 2024 4:22 pm

At my last place, our CTSO did the same to me. I **** you not, all I did was add fades between slides and text transition effects. She loved the revised presentation.

She was a complete moron.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Thu May 09, 2024 5:04 pm

For some reason this is giving me flashbacks to The Wire...

"Make sure it has lots of dots. Deputy loves dots".

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu May 09, 2024 5:13 pm

:lol: Major really was an dadhole.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu May 09, 2024 5:17 pm

whats frightening is that’s allegedly an adult who is in charge of “coaching” other professionals. The feedback of making a presentation more “creative and innovative” is feedback I’d expect to hear from a 7th graders

no critical thought applied whatsoever