Job and General Employment Thread

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:34 pm

That sucks Mikey, ride some unemployment, hopefully they gave you severance, and you’ll find something.

Did they word it was a “layoff” or a “termination.”

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Apr 09, 2024 6:36 pm

Sorry Mikey. That's a little messed up but one of those things that will eventually be better off looking back I'd bet

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:16 pm

that blows, michael. you'll be better off

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:39 pm

Yeah, it always sounded like you worked for a ding dong company, so you’re going to just be the next 5AFer to move onto bigger and better things.

mikey

Postby mikey » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:55 pm

Thanks boys. Yeah, I think I was definitely using that place as a crutch for too long because it was easy and familiar. I started in an entry-level position there and worked all the way up to VP, so there was also this "I can fix it" element to it...ya know, like how most bad relationships are haha

I'm going to make a couple of passion pitches now that - given the amount of folks that have reached out - I'm reasonably confident I can land something decent in this industry in a pinch...

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Tue Apr 09, 2024 7:57 pm

That sucks Mikey. Hope for better things.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Tue Apr 09, 2024 8:12 pm

Chin up Michael. Just think about the Mike Johnston era and remember that better days are ahead.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Apr 09, 2024 10:15 pm

I hope you get sorted quick, mikey.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 6:53 am

You will definitely land on your feet mikey, sorry to hear that. Sounds like you'll be better off.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Wed Apr 10, 2024 7:00 am

That sucks, sorry Mikey

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Wed Apr 10, 2024 9:15 am

Sucks to hear mikey, but from what I've gathered it'll just be onward and upward for you.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:18 pm

Well, the other shoe finally dropped at work. They announced today that they are planning on closing our plant and moving production to New York.
Timeline gives us 18 months to find new work so it could certainly be worse. At the moment they’re saying product engineering is one of the few departments that will stay in an office here in Kansas City, but I can’t see that as a long term solution. So it’s likely spend the next year looking for a perfect job, and the following six months looking for any job.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:23 pm

What idiot would want to move manufacturing from Missouri to New York?

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:24 pm

Sorry duder. Best of luck over these next few months

Bad vibes in this thread ever since morkle got his job

meow

Postby meow » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:26 pm

What idiot would want to move manufacturing from Missouri to New York?
lots of biden buses bring in illegals I heard

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:27 pm

Ugh, what a tough break. Having that much runway can be a blessing and a curse, make use of it.

I didn't like being all Negative Nancy here, but I feel like our little group here is well over 50% turnover from our last jobs in the last two years, many of us all or partly involuntarily.

meow

Postby meow » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:27 pm

that stinks CB. lots of runway for you though. take advantage of it

mikey

Postby mikey » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:32 pm

That's too bad bear, but at least there's time to find your perfect scenario...take a few homerun cuts...

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:43 pm

Well, the other shoe finally dropped at work. They announced today that they are planning on closing our plant and moving production to New York.
Sorry man. Another opening for mikey I guess.

NTP66

Postby NTP66 » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:54 pm

Yeah, this has been a rough year for this thread. Like the others have said, at the very least it gives you plenty of time to explore your options.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Apr 11, 2024 5:58 pm

Timeline gives us 18 months to find new work so it could certainly be worse. At the moment they’re saying product engineering is one of the few departments that will stay in an office here in Kansas City, but I can’t see that as a long term solution. So it’s likely spend the next year looking for a perfect job, and the following six months looking for any job.
Went through the same exact thing 2 years ago. They said 18 months but it turned out closer to 30. They also told us engineering would stay local but ended up moving it 45 minutes away. Glad I got out when I did.

obhave

Postby obhave » Fri Apr 12, 2024 2:35 am

Ugh, what a tough break. Having that much runway can be a blessing and a curse, make use of it.

I didn't like being all Negative Nancy here, but I feel like our little group here is well over 50% turnover from our last jobs in the last two years, many of us all or partly involuntarily.
It seems to come in waves with our group here. Here's hoping for the next great wave starting with @mikey and @CBear3.

CBear3

Postby CBear3 » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:06 am

Thanks all. Despite the news not being what we wanted to hear (it was either build a new plant here for our growing business, or close us up when the lease expires) it's nice to know something and to be able to make concrete plans around it.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Apr 12, 2024 9:20 am

Yup... better the devil you know than the one you don't. Best of luck CBear. Hope you find something quickly.

Lelldorin

Postby Lelldorin » Sat Apr 13, 2024 1:59 am

Some of you have casually followed my journey at my company over the last while...pretty wild ride, but it's officially at an end.

Out of absolutely nowhere, I was let go on Friday. After more than 10 years...I'm the product owner (with by far the most knowledge of how our flagship software works) and VP of Business Development...currently in the final stages of revolutionary deal with a vendor that will offer us multiple new lines of business and with a verbal agreement that it will save our largest customer...subject matter expert in most of what the company does, blah blah blah...

Out the door. And no reason given. I asked three times during the 90 second call. And they said they couldn't tell me. So after the third time, I said, "well, when you come up with the reason, send me a text please."

No write-ups, no performance anything...just three weeks (3!) ago I was greenlighted $80k to $100k to hire someone under me to build out my team (which was just me)...I liked one of the interviewees, I referred her to my COO and CTO for a second interview...which they conducted. I went to Europe for a few days. Came back and asked, "Hey, what did you think? How we lookin?" and it was all positive. And then they said some weirdly formal message to me about that person not being able to learn agile methodologies fast enough (which is total nonsense, of course...it takes like an hour to know what you need to know about agile)...so I said, "So, we're just not hiring for this position anymore?"

No, will that effect you greatly?

"No, it won't. Because I didn't have this person to begin with. So I'll just go back to my normal day...no big deal."

And then the COO hired a personal assistant for herself (no one else has had an assistant in the company's history, except the CEO's daughter when she was president for a brief spell).

Anyhow...so, it went from "hire someone...you're awesome..." and then three weeks later, poof...

So, that's that...

One thing I'm heartened by is the flood of people - from my company, from vendors I've worked with, etc. - that have reached out with varying degrees of "what the **** are they doing" to "I'm not sure how interested we are in continuing to work with [company] without you"...so that's nice. Ya know, you are who you are based on what people say at your funeral, so that bodes well for me...

But yeah, that's not how I would treat people...but that's how they treat people, so...onward and upward.
I am reading this thread way too seldom.

Sorry to hear that you were fired. According to your posts, they should be screwed without you. And you should be attractive and competent enough to land a new job the you like.

Unfortunately, you probably get a higher salary in your current line of work, than if you land a hockey job. Otherwise, I believe Pens could do better with their drafting;)