Education talk

Beveridge

Education talk

Postby Beveridge » Wed Feb 26, 2020 12:44 pm

Going to need more information from first paragraph.

DigitalGypsy66

Education talk

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:31 pm

:lol: The police responded to an indecent exposure report in the parking lot of the local Cook Out, just a mile from campus. Turns out he was getting being intimate with a male student athlete. Evidently, it was consensual and the police didn't file charges (after some pressure applied by community heavy hitters). The president has suspicious spending habit as well, and that was the unofficial official excuse given to campus.

Beveridge

Education talk

Postby Beveridge » Wed Feb 26, 2020 1:49 pm

That story took a turn and I'm disappointed.

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Fri Mar 13, 2020 12:27 am

I suspect there is a lot of this about to go down. Long thread.

MWB

Education talk

Postby MWB » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:10 am

I assume I’ll be putting stuff online soon. Obviously seventh grade math isn’t quite the same as a law, but the guidance we’ve been given is a joke: be prepared to put a couple weeks worth of lessons online. And you might have to make those days up. And we’ll see what happens with pay. Fun times.

Tomas

Education talk

Postby Tomas » Fri Mar 13, 2020 1:32 am

I suspect there is a lot of this about to go down. Long thread.
Making online experience as close as possible to face to face setting is my personal approach as well. When I taught the online class for the first time, I simply told the students they can come to campus once a week for an evening lecture. The lecture got taped (we always have some sweet system - currently Echo360 - that records simultaneously the computer projection and the camera pointed at me), and the weekly lectures have become the core of the online class runs in the subsequent years. I simply have to refresh the recordings once per X years. X can be about 5 years provided I communicate the most recent events in weekly emails ...

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Education talk

Postby count2infinity » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:58 am

My wife spent all day yesterday filming herself doing an experiment for her lab class she's teaching. She'll post it online for students to watch and then they do everything else the way they'd normally do. They take notes, make observations, do the calculations, write the lab report and submit it.

DigitalGypsy66

Education talk

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Fri Mar 13, 2020 9:30 am

My wife will be creating e-learning assignments for her school (she is the math curriculum creator), as they will more than likely go to online next week. No documented cases here yet, but in an abundance of caution...

I've taught exclusively online for the last three years, so it's no skin off my back. But the 67 year old history prof who loathes technology, doesn't use a textbook, is having a conniption about recording his lectures and creating discussion threads in Blackboard so he can have the usual back and forth in his classes. The biology professor down the hall is trying to figure out how to do labs online, and so forth.

I suggested using Twitch.tv to stream the class live, as it saves the chat and archives for up to two weeks. And it's free.

Tomas

Education talk

Postby Tomas » Fri Mar 13, 2020 5:35 pm

Our Global Campus people are going to be working 7AM - 10PM daily (including this weekend!!) to help with the transition to online classes. They created some awesome step-by-step instructions/tutorials on how to do online classes/live meetings/exams within Blackboard:

https://tips.uark.edu/contingency-plann ... cancelled/

dodint

Education talk

Postby dodint » Thu Mar 19, 2020 10:37 am

An article for all you educators that had to actually work this semester: https://www.mcsweeneys.net/articles/wel ... ege-course

;)

MWB

Education talk

Postby MWB » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:05 am

Lol... the first part about the camera was definitely our principal in our meeting yesterday.

DigitalGypsy66

Education talk

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:55 am

A friend is a dance professor up at Winthrop University. She decided to record a dance instruction session, and did the whole 20 minute section...but her iPad was on photo mode. :lol:

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Education talk

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Mon Apr 06, 2020 1:27 pm

I'm sure this is the calculus for most.

Freddy Rumsen

Education talk

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:29 am

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Education talk

Postby count2infinity » Sat Apr 11, 2020 8:33 am

My wife was told to consider getting prepped for an online semester in the fall, but nothing official yet.

DigitalGypsy66

Education talk

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sat Apr 11, 2020 11:40 am

A friend from work's daughter graduates this spring from high school, and is going to college down in Florida in August. He's keeping her at our college if it's an all online situation. No point in spending $50K or whatever to take classes from home.

I'm sure there will be plenty of parents making that decision about our school, should we go to online for the fall.

Similarly, most of our students play a sport. If sports are shut down, are we going to lose 60% of our students? If this is the case, then my college would probably close. And many more like it as well.

Freddy Rumsen

Education talk

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Apr 12, 2020 8:55 am

The athletics issue is a huge problem down at Due West, especially since they are supposed to start a football program this year.

Freddy Rumsen

Education talk

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed May 13, 2020 9:27 am

This was a very interesting article on the differences between teaching in person and online.

MWB

Education talk

Postby MWB » Wed May 13, 2020 9:40 am

Good read. As he says, millions of distractions on the computer. That doesn’t even get into the distractions from siblings or other family members, or life situations. In the classroom, I’ve got at least some control over what the kids are doing and how engaged they are. Now, that control is ceded to the parents.

count2infinity

Education talk

Postby count2infinity » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:28 am

Sooooo... how is everyone doing this fall? In person? Virtual? Kids doing alright? Teachers, how ya doin?

Freddy Rumsen

Education talk

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:35 am

Virtual has been a giant mess from what everyone has told me.

In-school is going well mechanically, but it is hard on the kids psychologically.

count2infinity

Education talk

Postby count2infinity » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:42 am

Yeah... I think this whole thing has been hard on everyone psychologically.

My cousins (11th and 9th grade) started virtual just to see how everything plays out and they seem to be doing alright. My coworkers have 1st, 5th and 8th graders who started in person, went virtual, and are going back to in person next week. They said the back and forth has been tough to really settle into a groove.

My wife teaches at PSU and she's largely virtual and it seems to be going well. The one in person class she has seems to be going well also. Hell of a time to be in your first semester on the job. :lol:

NTP66

Education talk

Postby NTP66 » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:44 am

Sooooo... how is everyone doing this fall? In person? Virtual? Kids doing alright? Teachers, how ya doin?
My daughter has been doing great in the virtual sessions. Her teacher is fantastic, and communicates with us often. I know other parents had some issues early on in their sessions, but now that we're all in a rhythm, it's going smoothly. They have break out sessions in Zoom now where handfuls of kids go into a separate Zoom meeting for reading, etc. and the kids seem to love it. Based purely on FB, as most of my friends are actually teachers, things are going well in the Phila. School District.

robbiestoupe

Education talk

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Sep 25, 2020 8:50 am

Mostly good on our side. Son is in 1st grade, and he doesn't mind the virtual school. There are still technical glitches, which really frustrate him. But who doesn't get frustrated when our computers don't work the way they are supposed to?

I do think he misses being in person and being with friends, but we've set up a Wednesday play date for the 12-2 break with two other families on our street doing virtual. They all seem to enjoy that.

MWB

Education talk

Postby MWB » Fri Sep 25, 2020 7:23 pm

My younger daughter is a junior. Hybrid model. Goes one day a week, but switches to two next week. Going relatively well so far. She doesn’t really like the virtual stuff, but is doing well. Most teachers do live instruction, which helps.

Teaching-wise, it sucks. Putting in a ton of work. I’ve been lucky with parents this year, who are mostly positive. Some of my coworkers haven’t been so lucky. About 10% of my kids are turning in next to nothing. And there’s a couple who are really struggling and would most likely be in the process of being labeled, but since they’ve only been a handful of days, don’t have a clear picture yet. Overall, I’m pleased with how the kids have handled it. We’ll see how the transition to two days a week goes next week, but think it will be good.