Game of Thrones Discussion

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:37 pm

That sort of conflation of S7 and S8 as one big narrative monster aligns with what all my GOT friends have been saying. And wasn't it S7 where they no longer had GRRM source material to guide them?

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Fri Nov 01, 2019 5:29 am

That sort of conflation of S7 and S8 as one big narrative monster aligns with what all my GOT friends have been saying. And wasn't it S7 where they no longer had GRRM source material to guide them?
They were past the books in season 6 I think, maybe earlier, I forget.

The story collapsed when they condensed the character plots into on single linear narrative.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 6:55 am

The story collapsed when they condensed the character plots into on single linear narrative.
:thumb: :thumb:

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:15 am

They should've called time on the show after season 6 and waited for Martin to finish the next book. I guess HBO didn't let them. *shrug*

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Nov 01, 2019 7:34 am

It’s not like he’s actually working on the books. Could have had him just get more involved in the plotting and writing process for the show.

nocera

Postby nocera » Fri Nov 01, 2019 8:59 am

George RR deserves as much blame as D&D for the series derailment.

Gaucho

Postby Gaucho » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:06 am

yep

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Fri Nov 01, 2019 12:34 pm

GRRM stopped caring about his magnum opus and more about his wallet years ago.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Nov 26, 2019 9:49 am

nocera

Postby nocera » Tue Nov 26, 2019 10:13 am

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Jul 15, 2020 12:50 pm

Remember when Tyrion told different stories to each small council member about marrying off Cersei’s daughter to see who he could trust? Good times, good writing.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:02 am

We just finished our first re-watching of the show since the finale. I had no interest, but the fiancé pushed for it so away we went. The good news: seasons 1-6 are still amazing. The obvious bad news: seasons 7 & 8 are not so amazing. The drop in quality is incredibly stark. When the series is binge watched, the last two seasons almost feel like a different show. The pacing changes dramatically, character traits quickly change for no other reason than to further plot, even the music changes. If they would've went 10 seasons, with 10 episodes each, they could've pulled off the exact same story without losing the quality they had established. As it stands, it's fine. I didn't hate it as much as most when it aired and I didn't hate it the second time either. It feels like a missed opportunity, though.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:06 am

Incredibly “Stark”

I see what you did there

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:39 am

I read an article not too long ago that covered how the one year anniversary of the finale came and went without anyone giving a ****. Delved into how the final two seasons completely destroyed the IP, merchandise is clearance fodder, and how things like filming location tours and themed bars/restaurants almost immediately went belly up. GRRM will never finish the books and I doubt any spinoffs will move forward because it’s an expensive endeavor for a series that is now universally decried. I also did not go completely “my life is ruined!!!!!” like so much of the fan base did and think that missed opportunity is the best way to describe the final two seasons, but I can also never see myself rewatching the show. I know the painful blue balls that await so why bother?

The most amazing part of the final two seasons is how the laziness and ineptitude of Benioff and Weiss, combined with HBO (Casey Bloys) refusing to tell them to **** off and make proper length seasons or leave, killed a license to print money.

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:47 am

Source of the post I can also never see myself rewatching the show. I know the painful blue balls that await so why bother?
There were a few moments when we both looked at each other and said something like "well, this doesn't end up going anywhere" or "and they're going to make this dadhole king of the 6 kingdoms?" But on the whole, the journey far outweighed the disappointing destination. I thoroughly enjoyed watching it through again, especially the first 6 seasons.

God help me, but it made me want to revisit Lost.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:52 am

You’re a masochist

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Aug 03, 2020 11:59 am

Funny you brought this up.

I'm binging right now for the first time through. I watched the first 3 seasons when they came out, but then we got rid of HBO. Now I have HBO max and am watching it all the way through. I'm on Season 6 Episode 9 right now. And loving it.

But I am fully aware of the drop off season 7 and especially season 8. I'll be interested to see it as well.

Didn't they just announce a prequel series coming out though?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:14 pm

They made a prequel pilot starting Naomi Watts but that was scrapped and will never see the light of day. They went with a straight to order series on a different prequel about House Targaryen, but it wouldn’t surprise me in the least if that falls through as well.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:35 pm

I read an article not too long ago that covered how the one year anniversary of the finale came and went without anyone giving a ****. Delved into how the final two seasons completely destroyed the IP, merchandise is clearance fodder, and how things like filming location tours and themed bars/restaurants almost immediately went belly up. GRRM will never finish the books and I doubt any spinoffs will move forward because it’s an expensive endeavor for a series that is now universally decried. I also did not go completely “my life is ruined!!!!!” like so much of the fan base did and think that missed opportunity is the best way to describe the final two seasons, but I can also never see myself rewatching the show. I know the painful blue balls that await so why bother?

The most amazing part of the final two seasons is how the laziness and ineptitude of Benioff and Weiss, combined with HBO (Casey Bloys) refusing to tell them to **** off and make proper length seasons or leave, killed a license to print money.
It really is remarkable how far that star fell over the final two seasons. The show honestly became a laughingstock.

This picture never ceases to amuse me with how appropriate it is:

nocera

Postby nocera » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:40 pm

:lol: Though I really do think season 6 is every bit as good as the previous seasons. It has one of the best sequences of the entire series.
Cersei blowing up the Sept of Baelor. The music, the build up, the look on Margaery‘s face when she realizes it. It’s perfect. Maybe that’s what that sliver of perfect horse in the drawing represents.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Mon Aug 03, 2020 12:44 pm

:lol: Though I really do think season 6 is every bit as good as the previous seasons. It has one of the best sequences of the entire series.
Cersei blowing up the Sept of Baelor. The music, the build up, the look on Margaery‘s face when she realizes it. It’s perfect.
The show hit its final peak in that episode. I remember being absolutely blown away by that whole beginning sequence, then Arya getting the Freys, Jon Snow being King in the North, his parentage in Bran's flashback, Daenerys headed to Westeros, etc. That was the last time the series was great.

NAN

Postby NAN » Mon Aug 03, 2020 5:29 pm

Cersei blowing up the Sept of Baelor. The music, the build up, the look on Margaery‘s face when she realizes it. It’s perfect.
The show hit its final peak in that episode. I remember being absolutely blown away by that whole beginning sequence, then Arya getting the Freys, Jon Snow being King in the North, his parentage in Bran's flashback, Daenerys headed to Westeros, etc. That was the last time the series was great.
I'm on that episode right now. Going to watch tonight.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Aug 06, 2020 11:36 am

I'm 3 episodes into Season 7. Honestly it hasn't been too bad so far IMO.

Is there a point where the dropoff occurs? Or is it just slow and steady.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Aug 06, 2020 12:04 pm

I'm 3 episodes into Season 7. Honestly it hasn't been too bad so far IMO.

Is there a point where the dropoff occurs? Or is it just slow and steady.
7 is better than 8. The main problems with 7 are the extremely rushed storytelling and pacing (which gets worse), convenient plot devices to keep **** moving forward, and then it all kind of falls apart with a fun but EXTREMELY DUMB 6th episode.

NAN

Postby NAN » Sun Aug 09, 2020 8:33 pm

I just got done with episode 3 of season 8, the big battle with the dead. I honestly don't think it has been too bad (season 7 or 8). It's not as good as it was in earlier seasons, but I haven't thought it has been horrible as many described.

Maybe because I'm binge watching it and didn't wait 7 years to get to that point. But it hasn't been THAT bad. In fact the espisode leading up to the battle I though was good, just the tension and ominous feeling that something really bad was coming. And even the battle itself was decent.

I'm also a lot easier to please than others though too. I'm pretty simple when it comes to "artistic" things.