Game of Thrones Discussion

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Aug 16, 2017 8:51 pm

Yeah, it sucks that I can't even Google GoT recaps without fear of stumbling onto a spoiler, but it is what it is.

Stoosh

Postby Stoosh » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:46 pm

Be careful with YouTube as well.

I subscribe to a number of accounts that do GoT recaps. Thanks to that and wonderful algorithms, I had a nice 2:30 snippet from Episode 6 with a gigantic spoiler listed in the title dropped smack into the middle of the "You May Also Like..." section when I brought up my YouTube homepage this morning.

Didn't even watch the clip. The spoiler was right in the title. Thanks for nothing, jerks.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Aug 17, 2017 1:55 pm

Yinz should just go all in and watch it.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Aug 17, 2017 2:43 pm

the front page of reddit had a thumbnail from the /freefolk sub that gave away a spoiler this morning. it wasn't even a funny or clever meme. just junky recycled comedy. like...what's the point, then?

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:19 pm

In the time they were on the little island... Gendry ran back to Eastwatch, passed out ten yards from the gates, Davos got a raven to Dragonstone, the raven made it there, Dany got prepared to leave, and flew from practically Kings Landing to well above the Wall.

And the dragon completed a hundreds of mile journey JUST as they were about to die. Jesus.

And then the dragon zombie. Where the **** did they get the chains?

This show has completely jumped the shark. I'm finally close to throwing in the towel.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:19 pm

AuthorTony

Postby AuthorTony » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:22 pm

I enjoyed it, but all I kept thinking was "Boy, this is going to piss off the 5thAve guys." :lol:

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:23 pm

In the time they were on the little island... Gendry ran back to Eastwatch, passed out ten yards from the gates, Davos got a raven to Dragonstone, the raven made it there, Dany got prepared to leave, and flew from practically Kings Landing to well above the Wall.

And the dragon completed a hundreds of mile journey JUST as they were about to die. Jesus.

This show has completely jumped the shark. I'm finally close to throwing in the towel.
Whatever that **** was awesome. I can suspend my disbelief on the timing to accept how **** awesome this show is.

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:23 pm

I loved that episode. Great stuff. Great action. Dialogue that mattered but wasn't boring. I'm over the time travelling stuff it is what it is. Just lots of fun.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:25 pm

I wasnt even complaining before. This is the first.

Jon Snow has two white walkers on top as he sinks like a stone into the depths. He miraculously gets out, and then they shoehorn Benjen in there (Lord of Light rest his soul) as a cheap rescue?

The writers have gone off the deep end. Maybe now I see why GRRM refuses to finish the next book.

the wicked child

Postby the wicked child » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:26 pm

I loved that episode. Great action. Dialogue that mattered but wasn't boring. I'm over the time travelling stuff it is what it is.
Yep... it's OTT as far as the time jumping but eh, I ceased to care a long time ago.

That ending was a punch in the balls though... Guess we don't have to worry about the proverbial third head of the dragon now...

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:28 pm

The show has basically just become a fantasy version of an improbable action movie. Which is fine... I've actually not minded the show at all this season as others have complained. :lol:

The writing is distractingly terrible at this point. I didn't get into this show because it had cool action scenes like First Blood or Commando

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:28 pm

I thought that was very bad.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:32 pm

That was **** awesome.

obhave

Postby obhave » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:37 pm

I wasnt even complaining before. This is the first.

Jon Snow has two white walkers on top as he sinks like a stone into the depths. He miraculously gets out, and then they shoehorn Benjen in there (Lord of Light rest his soul) as a cheap rescue?

The writers have gone off the deep end. Maybe now I see why GRRM refuses to finish the next book.
I gasped when Benjen arrived. I loved it.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:39 pm

What makes you think they were well beyond the wall? Could have been 5 miles for all we know. And while we don't know much about how fast the ravens fly, indications in the books and supplemental material, plus things like the speed of pterodactyls, would make it in the hundreds of miles per hour for the dragons.

If you're watching a fantasy show wondering where the magical frozen human zombie who leads an army of zombies got his chains from, you're probably watching it to seriously.

Or they took them from abandoned wildling camps.

Or who gives a ****.

eddy

Postby eddy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:43 pm

Ugh that benjen scene. I shouldn't complain, because I still get excited when Gandalf does it, but if we never see him again, I'm going to be pissed. No time? Just get on the horse too you moron.

eddy

Postby eddy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:50 pm

While I agree the show has taken liberties lately which comes across as lazy, it's still exciting and fun and I love watching it. This giant spectacle on television is truly awesome even if they appear to have sacrificed some story for eye candy. I think a couple seasons ago, I was hoping it would pick up, now I think it's moving a little too fast for its own good and I don't want it to end in 5 episodes.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:53 pm

No time? Just get on the horse too you moron.
This is what I'm talking about. Shoehorn Benjen in there and then an utterly contrived way to write him off the show. He was able to transport Bran AND Meera but not Jon?

DD... You do realize that you can be watching things that take place in a fantastical universe, and they are still distractingly and overwhelmingly improbable in that universe? And they continue to happen over and over and over again?

I've literally never been on this wagon before, because I, like you, just enjoy the show. The writing has gotten so bad that it is impossible to ignore now. My wife, the least critical person I know, turned to be right at the end and said "I think this is my least favorite season".

If you are just going to defend every decision by the writers as "IT IS A FANTASY WORLD DUH!",that is terrible logic.

eddy

Postby eddy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:53 pm

And there's a big part of me who kinda wants to see the white walkers win. I was a little confused to how easy they were killing them now. They didn't use the dragon stone yet did they?

nocera

Postby nocera » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:56 pm

Bunch of Debbies in this thread.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:59 pm

Bold prediction... That will probably be the most polarizing episode in the series. Either "THAT WAS EPICCCCCCCC" or "What the **** was that?" not much middle ground here.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:59 pm

- If they keep happening over and over again, doesn't that make them normal and not improbable?

- Jorah was duel wielding dragon glass daggers.

eddy

Postby eddy » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:59 pm

No time? Just get on the horse too you moron.
This is what I'm talking about. Shoehorn Benjen in there and then an utterly contrived way to write him off the show. He was able to transport Bran AND Meera but not Jon?

And that has nothing to do with it being a fantasy show. Listen, I still enjoy the show and think this is still one of, if not the best seasons, but after I stopped reading the books because of how much I thought they went to ****, I'm starting to gain an interest back just to get more back story that is being fast forwarded over in the show now.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 11:02 pm

Jorah was duel wielding dragon glass daggers.

Absolutely nothing wrong with this. You can have a well written show that has badass moments like these.