Colossal TV Show thread

genoscoif

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby genoscoif » Sat Mar 16, 2024 10:47 am

Is there anything better than watching Looney Tunes on a Saturday morning?
Saw one this morning that I don't recall ever seeing before titled High Note. I love the ones that don't include the characters, but are just tiny little short animated films, so to speak. Just some insanely creative people.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:02 am

Masters of the Air wrapped up Friday. Very solid overall, although a couple of the episodes near the end weren't great.
So the whole Bel Powley/Crosby's girlfriend storyline was very strange. In his biography, Crosby wrote about rooming with a British female subaltern and found she was hard to get in touch with after they met, insinuating she was a spy of some sort. The show went in on all that and even made him have an affair with her, even shooting scenes with her doing spy things to the runup to D-Day. But no further explanation or anything beyond that. Seemed like a waste of screentime, tbh.

No issues with the Tuskegee Airmen being in it, although they didn't fly with the 100th BG. They weren't given much to do and it felt shoehorned in there. They obviously deserve a series of their own, as the two films don't give them justice.

The CGI was fine overall. I knew it was going to look like CGI and I made peace with that. It's just not possible to get a significant number of B-17s up in the air for filming purposes. Way too costly, dangerous, and not enough of them exist any more to do that sort of thing.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:17 pm

There are only around half a dozen airworthy B-17s in the world, and I think just a single one lives overseas.

It sounds like there was an issue with [_____] being in it, if they weren't given much to do and it felt shoehorned. Altering history is fine and dandy if it serves a justifiable story purpose. If it's an exercise in what amounts to fan service, then booooooooo.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Mar 18, 2024 12:25 pm

Masters of the Air wrapped up Friday. Very solid overall, although a couple of the episodes near the end weren't great.
So the whole Bel Powley/Crosby's girlfriend storyline was very strange. In his biography, Crosby wrote about rooming with a British female subaltern and found she was hard to get in touch with after they met, insinuating she was a spy of some sort. The show went in on all that and even made him have an affair with her, even shooting scenes with her doing spy things to the runup to D-Day. But no further explanation or anything beyond that. Seemed like a waste of screentime, tbh.

No issues with the Tuskegee Airmen being in it, although they didn't fly with the 100th BG. They weren't given much to do and it felt shoehorned in there. They obviously deserve a series of their own, as the two films don't give them justice.

The CGI was fine overall. I knew it was going to look like CGI and I made peace with that. It's just not possible to get a significant number of B-17s up in the air for filming purposes. Way too costly, dangerous, and not enough of them exist any more to do that sort of thing.
Agree with all of this. This was a solid watch but when looking at the other two series, this falls comfortably in third place behind The Pacific. Obviously Band of Brothers is 1. Looking forward to reading the book. I really enjoyed the Stephen A Ambrose book and both Helmet for my Pillow and With the Old Breed.
I didn’t know Crosby’s affair was basically all fabricated for the show but that’s disappointing. I wonder how his family feels about that. That wouldve never happened if these guys were still around like many of band of brothers crew were when their filming happened.

Also agree about Tuskegee feeling shoehorned. It felt like an obligation instead of actually serving the story.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Mar 18, 2024 2:26 pm

John Orloff (showrunner/writer) had Crosby's family involved with the show, as he did with the other family members. So I'm thinking - and this is speculation - that Crosby was embarrassed about the affair and left it murky in his book, but the family knew about it and gave their blessing to include it.

I really don't have a lot of good things to say about reddit or social media in general, but there was a great post in the Masters of the Air subreddit about Buck Cleven (Austin Butler's character). He went on to become the president of Webber College (now Webber International College) and after he arrived he discovered financial problems. He saw one fix as adding a men's basketball team which had an incredible run in the mid-1980s going 95-12 and winning a NAIA championship. They made national headlines, and drew a lot of attention back in the day. The subreddit poster actually lived down there for a few years and developed a film script, but couldn't get the film made. The story is crazy:

mikey

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby mikey » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:03 pm

Loudermilk is led by Ron Livingston? Okay, I’m game.
You are gonna love it.
I put this on as my "warm up to the day after drinking last night" show...I really liked it. I was disappointed that I got to the end of the series after season 3. I'd be down for more of that...

Nuge

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Nuge » Mon Mar 18, 2024 5:52 pm

I agree with pretty much all of this as well. I thought it was excellent and immediately watch the documentary - The Bloody Hundredth. That was even more interesting to me than the series. I hope Playtone keeps making more of these series, even if they cost way to much money to produce.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:27 am

Just a friendly reminder that X-Men '97 dropped today on D+. I watched the intro just to see, and they did indeed keep the old theme style, so it's already got positive vibes going for it.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:32 am

Just a friendly reminder that X-Men '97 dropped today on D+. I watched the intro just to see, and they did indeed keep the old theme style, so it's already got positive vibes going for it.
Sweet, we just got through the Phoenix saga from the OG toon with the kids, 2.5 seasons to go. They have been loving the show, the dialogue is often hilarious.

genoscoif

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby genoscoif » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:45 am

My wife and I were looking for something different the other day and started Cheers from the beginning. Man, that show started out in stride. Most times you revisit (or for my wife start) older sitcoms like that it takes a while for everything to click, but Cheers was funny from the start while still introducing the characters/relationships/world. We're about half way through the first season, and enjoying it very much.

robbiestoupe

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Mar 20, 2024 8:34 pm

My wife and I were looking for something different the other day and started Cheers from the beginning. Man, that show started out in stride. Most times you revisit (or for my wife start) older sitcoms like that it takes a while for everything to click, but Cheers was funny from the start while still introducing the characters/relationships/world. We're about half way through the first season, and enjoying it very much.
Not an older sitcom but my wife and I started rewatching Brooklyn 99. Same thing, it starts off running, lol moments from the pilot on through the entire first season and beyond. RIP Andre Braugher

shafnutz05

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby shafnutz05 » Wed Mar 20, 2024 9:07 pm

Not an older sitcom but my wife and I started rewatching Brooklyn 99. Same thing, it starts off running, lol moments from the pilot on through the entire first season and beyond. RIP Andre Braugher
One of the only sitcoms we've ever binged. So good

MWB

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby MWB » Wed Mar 20, 2024 10:00 pm

Yup, I just started watching this as well. Also, I find 30 Rock to be that way as well.

LeopardLetang

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Wed Mar 20, 2024 11:27 pm

30 Rock starts with its best but is still great all the way

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Mar 21, 2024 1:54 am

Yeah, Tracey Does Conan was only the 7th ep of S1 and it's a top-10 ep for me (for 30 Rock. No, I don't have an actual list).

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:33 pm

yes, please.

skullman80

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:37 pm

I'll watch it, but I thought the show ended perfectly. Not sure of a need for a movie TBH.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:39 pm

Rumor is it'll be set in WW2 so there will be a time jump. I love that world and those characters so I'm all for more of it.

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:54 pm

I'll watch it, but I thought the show ended perfectly. Not sure of a need for a movie TBH.
This is my view.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Mar 21, 2024 2:55 pm

Murphy has serious heat now, so they're gonna capitalize off that, regardless of how the show wrapped up.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 4:50 pm

Shogun is just blasting along from strength to strength. It has been able to maintain S-tier storytelling and character development through five episodes, and it is awesome stuff.

Gaucho

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Gaucho » Thu Mar 21, 2024 6:45 pm

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:20 pm

Shogun is just blasting along from strength to strength. It has been able to maintain S-tier storytelling and character development through five episodes, and it is awesome stuff.
I don’t hear enough people talking about this magnificent show!

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Mar 21, 2024 7:55 pm

Hell yes to Maggie Q as Renee Ballard. Perfect casting imo.

Shogun has been great. Not a wasted frame or scene.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Sat Mar 23, 2024 11:05 am

First episode of X-Men ‘97 was terrific, and even my daughter is interested in watching it with me, just like she did when she was really young.