Colossal TV Show thread

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:16 am

I'm not going to rag on everything Breaking Bad does that is a bit off. Just wanted to say I was cruising well into S2 thinking they might have had their **** together, and then:
Repetitive Three Minute Long Expositional Mariachi Band Cold Open

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:26 am

I'm not going to rag on everything Breaking Bad does that is a bit off. Just wanted to say I was cruising well into S2 thinking they might have had their **** together, and then:
Repetitive Three Minute Long Expositional Mariachi Band Cold Open
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Narcocorrido

Extremely accurate portrayal of Walt’s growing reputation in the area and drug trade. Also, the complete lack of violins and trumpets makes them very much not a mariachi band.

PFiDC

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PFiDC » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:32 am

I needed something mindless and funny to watch before turning in to bed some nights and may have found what I needed in Tacoma FD. Pretty funny...and certainly not something that gets your mind racing. Lol.
I think I said it before but I expected very little from this show and got much more. Good cast. Good writing. No laugh track. It's not side splitting funny but I chuckle each episode.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:33 am

Tacoma FD has been a favorite of ours, too. Another good comedy.

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu Jul 22, 2021 11:44 am

Boy meets world is holding up well as eddy mentioned. But I fall asleep to it and it must have the worst theme music i've ever heard
I don't remember watching that anytime in the last decade? I did say salute your shorts held up well recently

skullman80

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby skullman80 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:46 pm

Mare of Easttown on HBO Max is very good. Limited Series with only 7 episodes. Wouldn't have watched it unless someone recommended it to my wife and I, but was really good.

LeopardLetang

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LeopardLetang » Thu Jul 22, 2021 12:50 pm

hah weird. yeah i saw the salute your shorts stuff but didn't think that was what confused me.

yep it was.

i never really liked the show. it was ok but i'm enjoying falling asleep to it now

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 1:05 pm

Tacoma FD has been a favorite of ours, too. Another good comedy.
Marcus Henderson (Granny) is arguably my favorite character on the show.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Thu Jul 22, 2021 3:58 pm

I needed something mindless and funny to watch before turning in to bed some nights and may have found what I needed in Tacoma FD. Pretty funny...and certainly not something that gets your mind racing. Lol.
Happy Endings used to be my comedy for that, now it's New Girl.

Other good streaming comedy offerings at the moment...

HBOMax as a lot of Adult Swim content:
"Joe Pera Talks With You" is the best late-night comedy to wind down too. Slow-paced, dry, and very good-natured. I absolutely love it.

"Delocated," with Jon Glaser, has a lot of great gags. Conceit is a reality show about a family in witness protection program. Yep.

"Eagleheart" is bonkers. Chris Elliott, Maria Thayer, and Brett Gelman star. I feel like this is the type of comedy a show like "i think you should leave" wants to execute, but doesn't consistently do it nearly as well.

Also, if you have Paramount+, or want to do a free trial, "Clone High" is streaming and worth it. Animated comedy on MTV in the early aughts from Lord & Miller (and also Bill Lawrence, so most of the cast of Scrubs makes an appearance). Will Forte voices Abe Lincoln. Very, very funny. Unfortunately some of the music is changed from the original DVD release, but, to be expected I suppose.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:02 pm

I loved Clone High when it was originally on.

robbiestoupe

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:06 pm

Bill Lawrence is a national treasure: Spin City, Scrubs, Cougar Town, Clone High, Ted Lasso. I think he even wrote for Friends.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:18 pm

Does anyone watch Arli$$? It's dated as hell but there are a ton of awesome cameos. They come in two flavors: forgotten sports and media stars you forgot about (Cortez Kennedy, etc.), and actors that either fizzled out shortly after or went on to bigger stuff.
It's also interesting seeing the shift in social issues since then. The stuff that was edgy just isn't a big deal anymore, but I don't think it takes away from the show.
It just has one of the worst and most drawn-out title sequences in TV history, though. *skip*

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 4:28 pm

It was one of the first quasi-reality shows I can remember, a precursor to shows like Entourage.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Jul 22, 2021 5:27 pm

Does anyone watch Arli$$? It's dated as hell but there are a ton of awesome cameos. They come in two flavors: forgotten sports and media stars you forgot about (Cortez Kennedy, etc.), and actors that either fizzled out shortly after or went on to bigger stuff.
It's also interesting seeing the shift in social issues since then. The stuff that was edgy just isn't a big deal anymore, but I don't think it takes away from the show.
It just has one of the worst and most drawn-out title sequences in TV history, though. *skip*
Watched it during original run. Fun stuff

PFiDC

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby PFiDC » Thu Jul 22, 2021 6:43 pm

Very few people can deliver a good F bomb like Robert Wuhl.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Fri Jul 23, 2021 8:42 am

Ted Lasso season 2, dodints!

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Fri Jul 23, 2021 11:00 am

Been binge watching Ozark...
With the admittance that S3 has improved the overall quality of the series, this show is so wholly mediocre that I cannot begin to understand all of the praise and award nominations. It's fine, it's been a decent binge, but it is such an unremarkable Breaking Bad imitator. I like Jason Bateman but he doesn't play Marty with any of the likability that Cranston gave Walt, even as he devolved into a hardened criminal. Wendy's turn has been interesting and a nice development, but suffers from an indictment that afflicts the entire show: everything is sooooo **** easy. Every problem gets fixed with minimal effort or complication, many times offscreen, and then we just move on to the next too easy to solve problem.

Sociopathic FBI Agent in S1 and S2 was so over the top and unlikable. Darlene Snell is annoying AF and the best thing about her is the actress they hired as the booty double for the S2 flashback scene. **** the Pastor. Ruth is fun and interesting despite the god awful accent, but I do not understand her S2 obsession with getting Wyatt into college. Other than a couple books we never see Wyatt doing anything remotely smart, something Ruth exhibits the entire series. S3 has been an improvement but crossing my fingers that Wendy's brother ends up on the receiving end of a cartel bullet because that dude sucks.
Exactly. it seems like it's great (flashy veneer) but it just isn't. i gave up on it.
Got good news for you on the brother.
Just finished this episode. Should have been called “Of Mice and Men”

I enjoy the show overall but agree it’s not world beating. Linney is a stand out for sure. Bateman plays his part like his character is somewhere on the spectrum which I thought was on purpose. I never thought the show was about him, it’s about the characters that revolve around him. I think the show has some great characters but it isn’t as great as the dune of its parts.
some character thoughts

1. Petty - too over the top. Sons of Anarchy’s Lincoln Potter nailed the type of character they were trying to make. This was just too much.

2. Caid- built up to be some all powerful Matriarch with lots of intelligence. Was just an angry redneck with an inferiority complex

3. Jonah - I really like his development

4. Buddy - seriously a great subtle character IMO. Would have been too much with a ton of screen time but IMO he was balanced perfectly

5. Preacher - Dumb, it screamed of half-baked idea that was never finished

6. Helen - Excellent, played her role perfectly

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 4:34 pm

Waiting for the sneak peak later today.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 5:19 pm

Is this it?

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 6:03 pm

Hoping that it’s a trailer that doesn’t spoil everything.

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:49 pm

Schmigadoon has been quite enjoyable so far.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Sun Jul 25, 2021 10:58 pm

Ugh, it’s a shame these people had to do this.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Mon Jul 26, 2021 1:08 am

Yikes. That sucks. I would move instead. Or sell tickets. $10 to throw a pizza on my roof.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Mon Jul 26, 2021 6:38 am

DG, what am I looking at in that picture?

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Jul 26, 2021 7:04 am

Walt’s house in Breaking Bad.