Colossal TV Show thread

Trip McNeely

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Trip McNeely » Thu Feb 22, 2024 7:52 am

Yeah, reusing the "time is a flat circle" made me groan out loud. So, so corny.

Thinking about it more last night, I probably dislike it more. Some of the plot holes are just inexcusable.
Tsalal has several vehicles (Danvers and Navarro take one after the storm passes) so why didn't they sit in a vehicle and crank the heat on instead of building a fire and nearly freezing to death in an enormous garage? Even aside from the vehicles, they should have huddled together (naked, teehee) in a small room to share and conserve body heat instead of sitting a football stadium sized garage. I learned that crap in Boy Scouts at age 12, so you'd think anyone living in Alaska (where dying of hypothermia would be a common danger) would know what to do.

I'm not in any way disparaging cleaning ladies, but this show had the smartest cleaning ladies in the history of mankind. One uncovered the pollution, while the others solved the murder. They should fire the entire police force and hire those women. They were the true detectives of this season, but the show didn't give them any personality besides "Group of strong native women."

I know the police interview at the end was supposed to be another corny homage to season 1, but it was so, so bad. Just pure exposition to try to talk their way out of some of the nonsense they'd created.
I don't know if it's better than 2 or 3. I think 3 was much better written, but I remember being bored by most of it. Season 2 was a train wreck, but had some entertaining moments. I still love the stuff with Farrell and his kid, and there was a dream sequence with his dad that is one of my favorite scenes in the entire franchise, but the season as a whole was a hot mess. Aside from 1, this was probably the most even season from beginning to end. That's a very low bar though.

I see a lot of chatter online saying the extreme hate is because it had female leads and is driven by misogyny. I'd imagine that's true for some, but not most. Mare of Easttown and Sharp Obects were female-driven crime shows, and I found both much, much better than Night Country.
I got done with TD Season 4 last night and my god, what an awful show all around. Acting including foster was mostly crap (although I thought the son was pretty good).
also the deaths, my god. So what the cause of death I guess is the victims were flash frozen by a ghost. That’s the cause of death. Not freezing, because of course they wouldn’t be in a state of shock. Flash freezing from a ghost. The other thing I found so funny was the idea of a mine MILES away causing pollution in the permafrost. Permafrost. And scientists needed pollution to make coring ice easier? Like how in gods name does that make a lick of sense.

And the use of these spirits was so so so overplayed. You can make it creepy without turning it into a low budget horror flick. Season 1 freaked me out more than any horror flick I’ve ever seen because it was realistic. This season I truly laughed out loud on numerous occasions

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Thu Feb 22, 2024 8:32 am

Yeah, reusing the "time is a flat circle" made me groan out loud. So, so corny.

Thinking about it more last night, I probably dislike it more. Some of the plot holes are just inexcusable.
Tsalal has several vehicles (Danvers and Navarro take one after the storm passes) so why didn't they sit in a vehicle and crank the heat on instead of building a fire and nearly freezing to death in an enormous garage? Even aside from the vehicles, they should have huddled together (naked, teehee) in a small room to share and conserve body heat instead of sitting a football stadium sized garage. I learned that crap in Boy Scouts at age 12, so you'd think anyone living in Alaska (where dying of hypothermia would be a common danger) would know what to do.

I'm not in any way disparaging cleaning ladies, but this show had the smartest cleaning ladies in the history of mankind. One uncovered the pollution, while the others solved the murder. They should fire the entire police force and hire those women. They were the true detectives of this season, but the show didn't give them any personality besides "Group of strong native women."

I know the police interview at the end was supposed to be another corny homage to season 1, but it was so, so bad. Just pure exposition to try to talk their way out of some of the nonsense they'd created.
I don't know if it's better than 2 or 3. I think 3 was much better written, but I remember being bored by most of it. Season 2 was a train wreck, but had some entertaining moments. I still love the stuff with Farrell and his kid, and there was a dream sequence with his dad that is one of my favorite scenes in the entire franchise, but the season as a whole was a hot mess. Aside from 1, this was probably the most even season from beginning to end. That's a very low bar though.

I see a lot of chatter online saying the extreme hate is because it had female leads and is driven by misogyny. I'd imagine that's true for some, but not most. Mare of Easttown and Sharp Obects were female-driven crime shows, and I found both much, much better than Night Country.
I got done with TD Season 4 last night and my god, what an awful show all around. Acting including foster was mostly crap (although I thought the son was pretty good).
also the deaths, my god. So what the cause of death I guess is the victims were flash frozen by a ghost. That’s the cause of death. Not freezing, because of course they wouldn’t be in a state of shock. Flash freezing from a ghost. The other thing I found so funny was the idea of a mine MILES away causing pollution in the permafrost. Permafrost. And scientists needed pollution to make coring ice easier? Like how in gods name does that make a lick of sense.

And the use of these spirits was so so so overplayed. You can make it creepy without turning it into a low budget horror flick. Season 1 freaked me out more than any horror flick I’ve ever seen because it was realistic. This season I truly laughed out loud on numerous occasions
Yes to everything. Some of the logic used to wrap things up was beyond stupid. Still think it had potential, but unfortunately we got this

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Thu Feb 22, 2024 6:32 pm

:pop:

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Fri Feb 23, 2024 2:29 am

Not super excited with the same showrunner returning. Just pass it around.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Fri Feb 23, 2024 10:06 am

It does make sense though. It was the most watched of any season and the audience grew with each episode.

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:07 pm

Now we're talkin'.
Eugene Levy Joins ‘Only Murders In The Building’ Season 4 As Recurring

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:11 pm

Rates will continue to climb, and then all ad-free tiers will be removed (my guess).

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:23 pm

I believe the medical term is "super stoked".

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Tue Feb 27, 2024 3:24 pm

I've noticed a lot more 3rd party content being added lately. It's almost like it's returning to where we were before everybody decided to have their own streaming service.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Feb 27, 2024 8:47 pm

I believe the medical term is "super stoked".
I remember the original and look forward to this!

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:03 am

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:27 am

Shogun has been on my radar since the first teaser trailer. Already added a OnePass for it on my TiVo.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Feb 28, 2024 6:37 am

Worst character in any storytelling medium since the dawn of human history.

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 8:20 am

Shogun has been on my radar since the first teaser trailer. Already added a OnePass for it on my TiVo.
First episode was fantastic.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Feb 28, 2024 1:03 pm

Guy Ritchie directing and producing a Ray Donovan spinoff(?) "new series loosely based on Ray Donovan" called "The Donovans."
Paramount+, Showtime/MTV Entertainment Studios, and 101 Studios are teaming for a new series loosely based on the hit Showtime series “Ray Donovan.”

Titled “The Donovans,” the series will be fully written by Ronan Bennett with Guy Ritchie attached to direct and executive produce. It will be available to Paramount+ with Showtime subscribers later this year.

The official description of the series states, “With the most powerful clients in Europe, ‘The Donovans’ will see family fortunes and reputations at risk, odd alliances unfold, and betrayal around every corner; and while the family might be London’s most elite fixers today, the nature of their business means there is no guarantee what’s in store tomorrow.”

The series is executive produced by Richie, Bennett, David C. Glasser, Ron Burkle, Bob Yari, David Hutkin and Ivan Atkinson.
Kind of weird they aren't calling it a spinoff, but "loosely based on." Good pedigree though.

https://variety.com/2024/tv/news/paramo ... 235925366/

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:58 pm

Everywhere else is calling it a spinoff, might have just been an editorial choice. *shrug*

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:26 pm

Shogun, Ep 1 "Anjin"
- Dude peed on another dude
- Dude got boiled alive
- Dude randomly got beheaded, apparently for arguing too loudly
- Dude sacrificed his own infant son
- Dude got some unexpected concubine boobies
- The first episode is called Anjin, the Japanese word for "ship's pilot", which makes it kind of a double pun. Series pilot, Blackthorne is a pilot, yuck yuck yuck.

Production values are absolutely through the roof, and all of the characters feel like real people who existed before the started. Everything is great.

One aspect that I particularly liked that Mrs Tif did not care for: The way they treated language barriers. How sometimes when characters are speaking English, we the audience are meant to understand they are speaking Portuguese, and since Blackthorne is not as fluent in the language as he lets on it sometimes sounds like they're speaking quasi-gibberish to each other. And of course, when the Japanese characters are speaking (whether it's dialectical Japanese or Portuguese) it is fully subtitled, even if it's stilted. I really dug that as a storytelling device, but Mrs Tif found it distracting and thinks it would've been better if everything was subtitled. That's clearly a creative choice that will no doubt linger for a few episodes as Blackthorne learns to speak Japanese. I have no recollection of ever watching the original TV miniseries (although I vividly remember it being a thing), but apparently they way they handled language in that show was that when two Japanese characters were speaking to each other it was subtitled, but if anyone was speaking Japanese to Blackthorne it wasn't subtitled at all, to make the audience as confused as the main character. That sounds like a trick John McTiernan would use.

I have mentioned many times that Mrs Tif lived in Japan for over three years, and still speaks fluent Japanese. Specifically, she lived in Osaka and speaks Osaka-ben in addition to standard Japanese. She didn't know the main story (at least early on) is set in Osaka, so she was sort of losing her mind over the attention to detail with some of the variations in linguistics, and she knows the layout of the actual Osakajo (castle) compound and stuff like that. After the episode, she said "Osaka didn't look like that when I lived there"......... she specifically meant the castle, but the way she said it was funny. I was like "No s**t, it looked different 400 years ago?!?", and she did not think that was an appropriate response.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sat Mar 02, 2024 3:51 pm

One more neat thing about the use of language in Shogun
The writers in charge of Japanese dialog wrote in modern standard Japanese. This was put through a foodarackacycle of translation by linguistic scholars who tweaked things to make the words more period appropriate, whatever the dialect, and this was the script given to the actors on the day and what was spoken on camera. But the subtitles that the audience reads were generated from the original modern text. So the subtitles aren't 100% accurate to what's actually being said. The differences won't ever be super stark, but the change from a work like "adversary" to "enemy" can have weight. Most viewers won't have any idea a change like that was made, but adds subtext; it means you must learn to trust characters intuitively, just as they do with each other as the drama plays out. I have yet to see how that works over the course of the story, but so far I kinda dig it. It's a unique approach.

genoscoif

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby genoscoif » Sat Mar 02, 2024 5:53 pm

Wife and I watched The Watcher on Netflix over the past two nights. I honestly don't know if it was good or not, or whether I'd recommend it. It held our attention, but some of the acting was comedically bad. Bobby Cannavale plays the dad, and for whatever reason I just didn't like him or his character. In like the second or third episode I realized that his voice sounds very similar to Anthony Bourdain's, then I couldn't unhear it. Mr. Bourdain is one of my favorites, and it kinda threw me.

Overall concept was pretty cool, but I was disappointed to learn afterwards that the 'based on a true story' is, well, stretched pretty far.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat Mar 02, 2024 9:23 pm

The extreme stretching of the true story is why I never bothered with the show.

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Sun Mar 03, 2024 12:20 pm

Shogun Ep 2
Very interesting that the first time we see Toranaga use violence it is to protect Blackthorne. (Or at least to protect what Blackthorne can offer) Gotta rewatch, I'm sure I missed a tell about the maid. haha

No familiarity with the story, so I don't know what's coming, but Yabushige has emerged as the most interesting character to me.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby LITT » Mon Mar 04, 2024 9:04 am

The Afterparty is a fun watch. Each episode is a different genre. The musical episode is incredible.
we just watched this last night. remarkable

meecrofilm

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby meecrofilm » Mon Mar 04, 2024 12:45 pm

The Afterparty is a fun watch. Each episode is a different genre. The musical episode is incredible.
we just watched this last night. remarkable
This is going to be the new Warrior in the sense that peeps will start watching and be like "hey this is great, why didn't anyone tell me about it?" And I'm going to be like **gestures wildly at past posts**

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon Mar 04, 2024 1:59 pm

We started watching The Morning Show for some reason. What a weird show. It's good and kinda interesting, but also mediocre and kinda boring. The show makes salient points about topical situations, but is extremely heavy handed in doing so. The show stars Jennifer Anniston, Reese Witherspoon, and Steve Carrell (who is excellent going against type), yet the best part of the show is Billy Crudup.

Nuge

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Nuge » Tue Mar 05, 2024 6:45 am

We started watching The Morning Show for some reason. What a weird show. It's good and kinda interesting, but also mediocre and kinda boring. The show makes salient points about topical situations, but is extremely heavy handed in doing so. The show stars Jennifer Anniston, Reese Witherspoon, and Steve Carrell (who is excellent going against type), yet the best part of the show is Billy Crudup.
I had the same initial reaction to it. It’s like you’re not really sure who you’re supposed to like. It has an uncomfortableness to it, but almost in a good way. I’ve enjoyed it.