Colossal TV Show thread

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Tue Oct 19, 2021 11:59 am

Speaking of John Malkovich, has anyone else watched any episodes of Ten Year Old Tom yet? It's an adult cartoon on HBO. I can see what they're going for but the first few didn't quite hit it. Hoping it finds its voice soon.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 12:18 pm

Mel Gibson has been tapped to lead the Starz original series The Continental, which serves as a prequel to Keanu Reeves’ John Wick movies, our sister site Deadline reports.

Produced by Lionsgate Television, the three-night event takes John Wick fans back to 1975 New York City, where a young criminal named Winston Scott navigates the city’s nefarious underbelly in an attempt to take control of The Continental, a notorious hangout for all manner of ne’er-do-wells. Though Winston, who is played in the films by Ian McShane, has not yet been cast, Deadline reports that Gibson will be playing a character named Cormac.

The John Wick film franchise, which stars Reeves as a mafia-trained assassin, has so far included three theatrical releases (2014, 2017 and 2019) with a fourth set to be released in 2022.

https://tvline.com/2021/10/18/john-wick ... ntinental/

eddy

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby eddy » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:39 pm

Oh boy, social media is not going to be happy with that

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:49 pm

I’ll watch it but would prefer Ian McShane be in it

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby count2infinity » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:53 pm

Finished up Squid Game... meh. It was fine for what it is. I'm not sure I get the explosion in popularity, though.

robbiestoupe

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Tue Oct 19, 2021 1:57 pm

Finished up Squid Game... meh. It was fine for what it is. I'm not sure I get the explosion in popularity, though.
Pretty much sums it up for me

blackjack68

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby blackjack68 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 7:50 pm

Pretty much sums it up for me
Ditto

CBear3

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby CBear3 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 11:32 am

Only Murders
Steve Martin still has it

robbiestoupe

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:07 pm

Wife and I finished Ted Lasso S1 last night
My only gripe was Ted's wife. She divorced him bc the fire that was there in the beginning isn't there anymore? If that's a good reason for divorce, no marriage would ever survive.

Otherwise, a great, uplifting show. TV needs more of this.

Loved the Alan Iverson "practice" throwback. I was laughing the entire time, but my wife sat there like "wut?"
Maybe I haven't seen it in a few months, but I thought one of the main reasons for the divorce was the relentless positivity + him not giving her any space.
That may have been part of it but I do remember one of the serious moments she mentioned something about the fire not being there. Either way still bothered by her
I thought it was as simple as
she doesn't love him anymore.
Nearly done with S2, and I'm still pissed about this
Ted Lasso is portrayed as the best human being on earth. Turns everybody from a sour puss to loving life no matter what.

But for some reason, his wife says he's too nice. He's given her the space. Their relationship, even through the divorce, seemed very amicable. She seems like a nice/good person too, except I hate her because she crushed this guy.

Maybe they have something up their sleeve with the story line or perhaps it was a horribly scripted plot device. Doesn't really ruin the show, but prevents it from being in the upper-echelon of all-time shows in my opinion.

Dickie Dunn

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Dickie Dunn » Wed Oct 20, 2021 12:45 pm

I have memories of her saying something about finding his constant optimism and positivity to be too much. I could be wrong though.

CBear3

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby CBear3 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:00 pm

I have memories of her saying something about finding his constant optimism and positivity to be too much. I could be wrong though.
Yes, she says that, and I think if you had to live with Ted Lasso it's very different than just working with him.
I also hope S3 probes the absentee father angle a bit more. Ted's halfway around the world avoiding the trouble in his marriage and the difficult co-parenting that comes as a result of a divorce. Nate throws it at him as an insult, but its true. I'd like to hear the small voice in the back of his mind asking "Should I really be back in Kansas with my son? Am I doing what my father did to me through different means?"

NTP66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby NTP66 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:14 pm

Yes, she says that, and I think if you had to live with Ted Lasso it's very different than just working with him.
I also hope S3 probes the absentee father angle a bit more. Ted's halfway around the world avoiding the trouble in his marriage and the difficult co-parenting that comes as a result of a divorce. Nate throws it at him as an insult, but its true. I'd like to hear the small voice in the back of his mind asking "Should I really be back in Kansas with my son? Am I doing what my father did to me through different means?"
I hope Roy punches Nate right in his dick for being such a Canaan.

robbiestoupe

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:18 pm

Roy **** Kent

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:31 pm

Ted is flawed, despite the way he presents himself to others. That's what season 2 was all about.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:55 pm

I really enjoyed Heels. James Harrison can actually act a little bit. Only eight episodes, and definitely worth your time.

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:56 pm

Noted Ravens, Bengals, and Patriots great James Harrison?

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:57 pm

Yes! He plays a wrestler named Apocalypse lol

dodint

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby dodint » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:58 pm

Should have been named Renegade. Missed opportunity.

nocera

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby nocera » Wed Oct 20, 2021 2:05 pm

Should have been named Renegade. Missed opportunity.

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:05 am

Hmm. Not sure about this one:
David Chase has talked up the possibility of returning to The Sopranos universe with a sequel to The Many Saints of Newark.

The creator of the hit James Gandolfini-fronted mob drama suggested, in an interview with Deadline, that it could be another feature film with Chase and Terence Winter writing together.

Now, it’s emerged that it could possibly even end up as a TV series for HBO Max.

Ann Sarnoff, CEO, Studios and Networks, WarnerMedia, told Deadline that the company was “thrilled” with the results of The Many Saints of Newark.

“We’re talking to David about a new series, Sopranos related, on HBO Max,” she said.

Chase said that if he was to return to The Sopranos world, any such potential story would take place after the film, which is set in the late 1960s and 1970s and before the original series, which starts around 1998. “There’s only one way that I would do it, and that was if Terry [Winter] and I could write the script together. That I would do.”

Sarnoff admitted that a final decision as to whether the project becomes a series or a feature film has not been made, but a Sopranos prequel series is an intriguing possibility.

She conceded that the box office numbers for The Many Saints of Newark, which stars Alessandro Nivola as Dickie Moltisanti and James Gandolfini’s son Michael Gandolfini as a young Tony Soprano, were not quite as big as the company would have liked, but pointed to the demographics of the people returning to movie theaters as one reason. She added that the film had a positive effect on the show, which launched on HBO in 1999.

“You see The Sopranos pop into the top ten of viewed series on the service and it’s given it an entirely new life,” she said. “It’s literally lifted all of The Sopranos franchise in a new way. You can’t measure just by the box office.”
I have not yet watched the movie, but I've heard it was mediocre to good. But that last sentence by the HBO suit (i.e. Sopranos moving into the top ten viewed series on HBO Max) is why they are doing it.

If it's on the level of Better Call Saul, I'd be ecstatic....

https://deadline.com/2021/10/the-sopran ... 234859438/

tifosi77

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 7:24 pm

Only Murders
Steve Martin still has it
I am proud to say that
when they were first going through Kono's sex toys, I knew it was a bassoon cleaner. So I was ahead of the plot for like 20 minutes. ​:lol:
We haven't watched the next episode yet, which I think is the finale.

CBear3

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby CBear3 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:01 pm

Amazingly I played bassoon, so ditto

DigitalGypsy66

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Thu Oct 21, 2021 9:21 pm

Listening to the HBO Band of Brothers podcast, I learned that Rick Schroeder was in the last cuts to play Dick Winters. He read lines with Donnie Wahlberg, in particular that scene where Lipton says Dike is going to get people killed in the attack on Foy.

Wow. That would've been a different series...

Pavel Bure

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby Pavel Bure » Thu Oct 21, 2021 10:14 pm

Midnight Mass was fun

genoscoif

Colossal TV Show thread

Postby genoscoif » Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:06 pm

Yeah don't read the spoiler yet lol
So Midnight Mass...pretty funny that your spoiler was pretty much exactly how we felt...especially regarding ep. 6.