Pittsburgh Sports Media Thread

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:34 am

What is frustrating is that DK used to be pretty good, right? I remember enjoying reading his stuff, and he was actually a decent guest on Madden and other radio/TV appearances.

I completely agree that he's basically insufferable now, but when/why did that happen? Is it just an ego thing, schtick, or am I just misremembering what he used to be like?
He was great when he was working the pirate beat at the post gazette

That was like 15 years ago though.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:37 am

Didn't he go from being a beat reporter at the PG to a columnist at the Trib?

So, right. Basically as soon as you start paying these guys for the opinions and not their reporting, it goes to ****.

Jason Mackey will assuredly continue that trend. The only trajectory that works here is to go full John Steigerwald and start pushing out amazing stories about how you know Ovechkin is on steroids because look at him and the fan that got killed at a game deserved it for wearing a jersey.

Of course that means you end up at the Washington Observer Reporter, but comme ci comme ca.
Last edited by Troy Loney on Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:38 am

I think DK was great to start out. Then he just became insufferable over time as he saw success, and then the banging the employee stuff only made him even more insufferable, then he transitioned into some type of activist for downtown and anything I read from him or see from him makes me annoyed.

FlightlessBird

Postby FlightlessBird » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:48 am

I’ve been meaning to post this but kept forgetting. For the past week+, Zeise has been on with Starkey on The Fan. I’m not sure if it’s been every day since I’ve only listened here and there, but he has been there every time I’ve had it on.

What’s funny though is he’s on right now by himself. No Joe. And he’s 100x worse (basically how he is during his solo shows in the evenings…yelling, stuttering, etc.) But he was actually fine the few times I heard him with Joe. Quieter, didn’t sound angry, actually having a discussion.

I figured they would eventually get someone to replace Cook. Joe can’t carry a show himself IMO. And I’d definitely rather it be Zeise than Pittsburgh Dad Jr..

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:20 am

My god, Pittsburgh Dad Jr. or zeise are your choices.

Just burn it down

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:30 am

I’ve been meaning to post this but kept forgetting. For the past week+, Zeise has been on with Starkey on The Fan. I’m not sure if it’s been every day since I’ve only listened here and there, but he has been there every time I’ve had it on.

What’s funny though is he’s on right now by himself. No Joe. And he’s 100x worse (basically how he is during his solo shows in the evenings…yelling, stuttering, etc.) But he was actually fine the few times I heard him with Joe. Quieter, didn’t sound angry, actually having a discussion.

I figured they would eventually get someone to replace Cook. Joe can’t carry a show himself IMO. And I’d definitely rather it be Zeise than Pittsburgh Dad Jr..
Agree with you. Been listening to them. When Zeise has someone to talk to, he isn't that bad IMO. But when he has to run a show, and especially solo, he gets too much for me.

MrKennethTKangaroo

Postby MrKennethTKangaroo » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:32 am

Starkey loves to talk about himself, which is a terrible trait for a talk show host

NAN

Postby NAN » Wed Mar 06, 2024 11:34 am

What is frustrating is that DK used to be pretty good, right? I remember enjoying reading his stuff, and he was actually a decent guest on Madden and other radio/TV appearances.

I completely agree that he's basically insufferable now, but when/why did that happen? Is it just an ego thing, schtick, or am I just misremembering what he used to be like?
I used to enjoy DK. Could he be a little much? Sure. But a few years ago, his ego just blew up IMO. And he's gone down hill since. He has become some sort of gatekeeper in his mind on stuff. Weather it's downtown, how to voice your opinion on sports teams, etc.

And he's been on a rant about civic treasures our sports teams are and how the owners are ruining them, especially because they are struggling. Guess what, most teams run into trouble! And I think he's lost his contacts with the Pens, or at least the open door policy on info flowing out once FSG bought them, and he doesn't like that. So he rags on FSG and now Dubas.

He's become insuffarable. I stopped following him on twitter, but admit to reading his site now that it's free.

I don't believe the trying to bang Sarah Civ though, she seems like a nutcase herself. Maybe they were meant to be though.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Wed Mar 06, 2024 12:05 pm

I loved that he uses the same energy on the Penguins, like he used to do with the Pirates for the wrong reasons. That OurTeamNotHis hashtag and how he almost did a 180 on it, and Madden calling him out on it was prime. That was his downfall for me, that really made him feel like he was getting money from someone on the baseball side.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:18 pm

I used to love DK’s stuff on the Pirate’s beat. He would get into his love of Pittsburgh then, but it was genuine at the time. Like little secrets about the city that very few people knew about.

But the ego came and that was that

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 06, 2024 7:56 pm

I used to love DK’s stuff on the Pirate’s beat. He would get into his love of Pittsburgh then, but it was genuine at the time. Like little secrets about the city that very few people knew about.

I walked by his DK Pittsburgh Sports office on Fifth Ave the other day. For some reason I didn’t realize he had a physical space. I just assumed he furiously tweeted from his “home office” that’s really just a desk next to a dusty Peloton in his basement.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:37 pm

I walked by his DK Pittsburgh Sports office on Fifth Ave the other day. For some reason I didn’t realize he had a physical space. I just assumed he furiously tweeted from his “home office” that’s really just a desk next to a dusty Peloton in his basement.
I thought his office was in the Riverhounds complex

nocera

Postby nocera » Wed Mar 06, 2024 8:59 pm

faftorial

Postby faftorial » Wed Mar 06, 2024 9:55 pm

Wasn't DK a Pens a beat writer (jr to Molinari) in the 90's? That's the last I read him in the PG.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Mar 06, 2024 10:06 pm

Apparently it’s a gift shop too.

https://www.dkpittsburghsports.com/2022 ... address-dk
I think his website gave my phone AIDS.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Mar 07, 2024 7:37 am

DK is happy a trade didn't happen last night and this is saving the Pens and Dubas from themselves.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 07, 2024 8:57 am

I read his ramblings because of you. I hate you. Yes DK, let's trade the starting goalie who is currently the 12th highest paid at this position and is signed for four more years and not the dude who is unsigned and likely to become the highest paid player on the team.

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Mar 07, 2024 9:03 am

I read his ramblings because of you. I hate you. Yes DK, let's trade the starting goalie who is currently the 12th highest paid at this position and is signed for four more years and not the dude who is unsigned and likely to become the highest paid player on the team.
:lol:

NAN

Postby NAN » Thu Mar 07, 2024 10:31 am

Honestly, I'm starting to root for Jake to be traded. I want to see the meltdown and the aftermath. How Dubas ruined our civic institution.

pens9192

Postby pens9192 » Thu Mar 07, 2024 1:51 pm

I stopped reading DK site's when it went "free". I couldn't justify paying for basically his comment section. I mostly read it on the mobile app and I hated it. The comments section was always janky and notifications never worked right for me. Just a waste of money. Can't imagine who buys stuff at his junk shop Downtown.

Also, I imagine GMJR always gave DK juicy info and Dubas doesn't so therefore DK the child feels less special so he has to cry about it.

nocera

Postby nocera » Thu Mar 07, 2024 2:11 pm

Source of the post Can't imagine who buys stuff at his junk shop Downtown.
It's right by Market Square so the answer is tourists. And maybe some crackheads.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:28 am

Had to run some errands this morning so decided to see what the radio waves are saying about the Guentzel trade. 100% talk about the potential of Russell Wilson going to the Steelers. I hate this town sometimes.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 08, 2024 8:35 am

I stopped reading DK site's when it went "free". I couldn't justify paying for basically his comment section. I mostly read it on the mobile app and I hated it. The comments section was always janky and notifications never worked right for me. Just a waste of money. Can't imagine who buys stuff at his junk shop Downtown.

Also, I imagine GMJR always gave DK juicy info and Dubas doesn't so therefore DK the child feels less special so he has to cry about it.
I very much get the sense that this is happening, where Dubas and co. arent as open as GMJR was - and it's going that route with a few people. DK seems to take exception to this because he's not considered special.

NAN

Postby NAN » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:06 am

DK's meltdown article was pretty good. Said this is like the Jagr trade, we are ushering the Bunting era, and ripped Dubas and FSG and said he was surprised they didn't address the Toronto media before Pgh.

You can tell there are far more sour grapes with Dubas and FSG as they are probably not as open with him as previous ownership/GMs, than the actual trade itself.

Morkle

Postby Morkle » Fri Mar 08, 2024 9:16 am

Yea when he said Kris Beech in that article, I basically just stopped reading and put the belief that it came across as a hit piece against Dubas.