Pittsburgh Sports Media Thread

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Sat Apr 11, 2015 7:04 pm

Someone needs to get that Root Sports twitter feed off of Potash. He has become completely insufferable with it this season. Hopefully Robbie has it full time this summer and uses it like an adult instead of some cleat chaser trying to play grab ass with the players.

wallflower

Postby wallflower » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:01 am

Madden is the best writer amongst PGH sports hacks IMO; I wish he wrote more.
That's a low bar. Why is it so hard to get good writers in sports in Pgh? Bruce Keiden is the last great sport writer the city had.
:thumb: Seriously - Pittsburgh sports fans are far too accepting of the terrible quality of coverage. Saying someone is the best writer here is barely a compliment. What I wouldn't give for someone like Michael Russo to cover the Pens instead of the Wild...

(Full disclosure: I have been converted to a Wild follower via marriage. :lol: )

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:18 pm

Someone needs to get that Root Sports twitter feed off of Potash. He has become completely insufferable with it this season. Hopefully Robbie has it full time this summer and uses it like an adult instead of some cleat chaser trying to play grab ass with the players.
That's probably the best description I've seen of Potash.

He never really bothered me until this past season. I know he's the "dorky little brother" that everybody on the team likes to pick on (despite being at least 10 years older than most of the roster), but if he wants to flirt with his mancrush Dupuis then do it from a separate account. There are people out there who do follow that account for useful purposes like checking to see when the Pirates are coming back from a rain delay or for upcoming programming.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Sun Apr 12, 2015 1:20 pm

He never really bothered me until this past season. I know he's the "dorky little brother" that everybody on the team likes to pick on (despite being at least 10 years older than most of the roster), but if he wants to flirt with his mancrush Dupuis then do it from a separate account. There are people out there who do follow that account for useful purposes like checking to see when the Pirates are coming back from a rain delay or for upcoming programming.
He never bothered me either until this year. But man, he fits right in with all the teenagers and fan girls on penguins social media. Every post now is all caps with 15 exclamation points. Last night he was making all these movie references and quotes during the game that were making zero sense at all. He finally quit talking about him and Malkin sitting next to each other on the train to NJ I think because I made fun of him lol. Taking a bunch of photos of an empty bus seat when he was out injured and saying "GENO'S SEAT!!!" is just unnecessary. LOL I remember a week or two ago during the intermission he posts "You may have noticed me stumble a bit during that interview. YOU KNOW WHO SHOVED ME WHILE WALKING BY!!!" I mean, this stuff started 6 years ago it's kind of getting old.

I follow a bunch of other teams accounts and media members as well, there is none that gives less information about the actual team or the game than people involved with the Penguins. Maybe its just me being a miserable person I dunno, but it drives me nuts you can't find a Penguins presence on social media that isn't absurdly obnoxious.

FreeCandy44

Postby FreeCandy44 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:08 pm

You are pretty grumpy....

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Sun Apr 12, 2015 3:41 pm

If only we could go back to Lacey Collins...

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:28 pm

Dan Kingerski drives me crazy. He says stupid stuff, but he actually believes it instead of just saying it to incite people like Poni and Mueller. Specifically tonight he said that Bennett should have been put on waivers to open up cap space to bring up a 6th defenseman because who cares if the only thing representing a young forward on the roster gets claimed on waivers and he hates Cole because he's not as physical as Bortuzzo and thinks they should reacquire Bort in the offseason.

Just stupid stupid stuff.

FreeCandy44

Postby FreeCandy44 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:37 pm

Ehh I dig him....

IanMoran

Postby IanMoran » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:44 pm

He never bothered me either until this year. But man, he fits right in with all the teenagers and fan girls on penguins social media. Every post now is all caps with 15 exclamation points. Last night he was making all these movie references and quotes during the game that were making zero sense at all. He finally quit talking about him and Malkin sitting next to each other on the train to NJ I think because I made fun of him lol. Taking a bunch of photos of an empty bus seat when he was out injured and saying "GENO'S SEAT!!!" is just unnecessary. LOL I remember a week or two ago during the intermission he posts "You may have noticed me stumble a bit during that interview. YOU KNOW WHO SHOVED ME WHILE WALKING BY!!!" I mean, this stuff started 6 years ago it's kind of getting old.

I follow a bunch of other teams accounts and media members as well, there is none that gives less information about the actual team or the game than people involved with the Penguins. Maybe its just me being a miserable person I dunno, but it drives me nuts you can't find a Penguins presence on social media that isn't absurdly obnoxious.
Follow Dave molinari for that. Just informative tweets / always accurate

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Sun Apr 12, 2015 9:57 pm

^ Ha. I did for years for that very reason. Recently he was updating during games and began trying to be a comedian with every single tweet with these horrible jokes. I, really just messing with him, said "you aren't very funny dave." He blew my DM inbox up 3 straight unanswered times about how if I don't want to read it to unfollow him. I still follow him but now I don't like him. I've joked around with Yohe a ton and he'll always take it in stride or give it right back. The rest of these guys are super sensitive babies.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:47 pm

Who do you guys like on Twitter? Off the top of my head the only one that sounds like he'd be half decent is DK. Wonder what portion of his tweets are ads for his site, though. The blog I was following went under at Christmas and I need to replace it.

dodint

Postby dodint » Sun Apr 12, 2015 10:55 pm

Ick. 90% of his feed content is retweets. Can't see this lasting long.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:07 pm

Dudemans relationship with twitter is like watching a train wreck relationship from afar. Both the individuals are crazy and hate each other but they never break up.

FreeCandy44

Postby FreeCandy44 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:24 pm

Actually watching dudeman battle the local media and @penguins is pretty funny. Not that I havent had my problems as well.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:25 pm

What is mr Dudemans handle

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:36 pm

Dudemans relationship with twitter is like watching a train wreck relationship from afar. Both the individuals are crazy and hate each other but they never break up.
:D I enjoy it when for my friends and I joking back and forth or discussing a particular game we're all watching. Kind of like a GDT. Its the sports media that sometimes drives me bonkers. But as I've had no problem admiting, I'm a miserable person who is easily annoyed.

FreeCandy44

Postby FreeCandy44 » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:43 pm

Are you sure we are not one in the same duder?

NailedPenguin

Postby NailedPenguin » Sun Apr 12, 2015 11:53 pm

I've never been more sure of anything in my life.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:55 am

Madden is the best writer amongst PGH sports hacks IMO; I wish he wrote more.
That's a low bar. Why is it so hard to get good writers in sports in Pgh? Bruce Keiden is the last great sport writer the city had.
:thumb: Seriously - Pittsburgh sports fans are far too accepting of the terrible quality of coverage. Saying someone is the best writer here is barely a compliment. What I wouldn't give for someone like Michael Russo to cover the Pens instead of the Wild...

(Full disclosure: I have been converted to a Wild follower via marriage. :lol: )

Inbreeding, according to one of the heirs (Ron cooks daughter). Pittsburgh sports media is a royalty.

Troy Loney

Postby Troy Loney » Mon Apr 13, 2015 5:56 am

Dudeman:twitter as shad:Facebook

DigitalGypsy66

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 9:03 am

Not a lot of turnover in sports journalists/personalities in Pittsburgh - a lot of the guys we complain about in this thread were working when I left the city in 1990. :pop:

cheesesteakwithegg

Postby cheesesteakwithegg » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:56 am

If only we could go back to Lacey Collins...
That's a good name drop. I don't even remember what happened to her.

Also, remember Kelena Bell? She did updates on The Fan when they first went on their air and was let go after a few months. I felt bad for her actually, as she seemed nervous / way over her head on live radio.

FreeCandy44

Postby FreeCandy44 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 10:58 am

Whatever happened to the guy who won The Fan host contest? He was on for maybe 2 months and hasnt been heard from since.

columbia

Postby columbia » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:26 am

NAN punched him in the face?

FreeCandy44

Postby FreeCandy44 » Mon Apr 13, 2015 11:48 am

Woah...that was a very offending post Mr Columbia.