A few things here and there
20%
No way Jose
30%

Total votes: 20
Miami Vice

Do you do a lot of holiday decorating?

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:47 am

Some of my neighbors have already started going ham with tombstones, spider webs, etc. Are you a big decorator?

llipgh2

Postby llipgh2 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:52 am

I decorate for Christmas, but don't go nuts. The less I put up, the less I have to take down.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:53 am

We do no decorations... at all. I think at most my wife changes out what kind of fake flowers are in the one vase.

columbia

Postby columbia » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:04 am

I turn the porch lights off on Halloween. In my last place, I closed the driveway gate.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:06 am

I think decorating is a hobby for some (sad) people. I don't know why anyone would want to take the time to put up everything and then have to take them down

skullman80

Postby skullman80 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:09 am

I love to decorate for halloween. Its probably my favorite holiday besides Thanksgiving. Christmas time we put up lights and the normal stuff. I would love to go all clark griswold, but the wife tells me no. I'm going to get something inflatable on the roof this year though come hell or high water at christmas time haaha.

dodint

Postby dodint » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:10 am

We have a small room in our house set aside just for housing decorations. 75% of it is Christmas, but my wife is quickly trying to catch "Fall" up. She loves doing this stuff. Every trip to the OBX involves a pilgrimage to mecca, errr, Christmas Mouse.

If I were on my own I'd still do a tree and some cursory lights, but that would be it. That said, that stupid train thread has me looking at starting a train setup. *shakes fist*

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:14 am

Christmas is the big one for us. Lights around the house, inflatableS in the front yard, wreath on the front window and stuff inside the house as well. It used to just be lights and wreath until the kids came and then we added some inflatables.

Halloween, put out some scarecrows, a hanging skeleton and cover our landscape lights with the plastic trick-or-treat pumpkins with the bottom cut out. Takes about 10 minutes total. Then I play spooky music out the window on Halloween to let kids know we are open for business.

Other than that, not really, except for making sure we have the flag out.

Silentom

Postby Silentom » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:16 am

I'm a simple soul when it comes to decorations. But, my wife already has all kinds hippy-dippy ideas for our new home.

I just hope it doesn't become MiL level Christmas craziness.

Miami Vice

Postby Miami Vice » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:19 am

I really wanted to do something wild in my basement, with classic monster movies on the screens and creepy lighting. I thought I could serve the parents adult beverages and try to make some new friends.

but a neighbor said we get lots of kids who don't live in the area, and that I might as well put a "please come back and rob us" sign out front if i do that :(

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 10:50 am

I pretty much leave it up to the kids, if they want me to go out, I'll go out.

Reveutopique

Postby Reveutopique » Thu Sep 24, 2015 1:28 pm

When I lived with my parents we decorated for Christmas inside and out. Everything has a place. My mother and I go out and buy new ornaments bc my brother drops about a box worth of them when he decorates. It's kind of adorable and hilarious.

Everything is replaced with Christmas stuff. A Christmas table cloth with center piece, fake wind charms that say joy, garlands with lights wrapped around them strung down the banister and on the entertainment system. A Christmas tray where we put Christmas colored M&Ms, a Santa Cookie jar, a scene where Santa is reading to kids and a nativity. A snow globe (I think that might have broke).

But we haven't used a table cloth for a while. We had a red table cloth with gold runners. Green place mats with gold mats on top (that matched the runner). I know it sounds weird but it was all tied together by the centerpiece which was greenery with red berries, candles and bows. Everything was super gorgeous.

Also in our family but not in Kaiser's side of the family we have a certain color scheme we stick to. Only gold/white lights, (never multi colored), decorations must be predominantly red, green, or gold with splashes of blue and white being permitted. We did consider purple bc we liked the way our Jewish neighbors incorporated the color into their decorating but decided against it as it clashed with our own color scheme (unless we left out certain colors which we were not willing to do). I would be interested in exploring this idea further but at a time when I can deliberate without any distractions so as to ensure I do not make any error that would be deemed egregious.

That's about it.

We also decorate the sad leafless tree outside.

When I was younger my parents would put up garlands everywhere too and our house was full of magic.

Kaiser and I have put up a tree and will do this year. I would LOVE to go back to decorating for Christmas bc it is seriously one of my top 3 favorite winter activities (at number 1) but last year we did not.

My parents once decorated for Halloween and I personally thought it looked fantastic! However, unfortunately bc my brothers was super awesome and smart it meant a bunch of the kids from our school egged and sprayed silly string and tp all over our decorations.

My mom was devastated, saw that it was our neighbors across the street and asked them why they did it. They just said it was directed at my brother bc he was a nerd.

So I think ever since then it's left a bad taste in my parents' mouths.

Of course I personally would have sued them and informed any and all colleges they would have hoped to attend about their extra curriculars but my parents were unassuming immigrants.

I do still enjoy elegant fall decorations. I love fall and Christmas. Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas. All wonderful to decorate for, (especially with kids one day omg!!!) but Thanksgiving is basically just the Dining table part of Christmas.

Willie Kool

Postby Willie Kool » Thu Sep 24, 2015 6:08 pm

We usually decorate for Yule, Beltane, Mabon, and Samhain.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:15 pm

Revue,

Tell your parents about mischief night and encouraged them to burn down those kids' houses. Camden, NJ says hi.
Last edited by blackjack68 on Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Sep 24, 2015 7:26 pm

I think decorating is a hobby for some (sad) people. I don't know why anyone would want to take the time to put up everything and then have to take them down
Probably because they don't mind.

"sad"...good grief.

Anyways, I decorate a little and it's usually against my will.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:21 pm

My goodness...you are a miserable, sad little man.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:22 pm

We have a small room in our house set aside just for housing decorations. 75% of it is Christmas, but my wife is quickly trying to catch "Fall" up. She loves doing this stuff. Every trip to the OBX involves a pilgrimage to mecca, errr, Christmas Mouse.*
:lol:

We stayed in Nags Head this year and I think we were within walking distance of there. I feel like Christmas Tree Shops probably has a better overall selection, but what do I know.

Factorial

Postby Factorial » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:23 pm

My goodness...you are a miserable, sad little man.
it's his loss. I do like them but don't have any of mine anymore :cry:

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 8:33 pm

Wait, so its sad that I have opinion that people who put out decorations are sad...?

I find this especially funny coming from shaf and shmenguin

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:04 pm

Wait, so its sad that I have opinion that people who put out decorations are sad...?

I find this especially funny coming from shaf and shmenguin
I don't think it's sad. You're establishing a special kind of brand of ignorance regarding the grown up world lately. This opinion about decorations is consistent.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:05 pm

Yes, because no "grown ups" think other grown ups that decorate are sad

Craig

Postby Craig » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:07 pm

No, none think its sad. Dumb...sure. Not sad.

MalkinIsMyHomeboy

Postby MalkinIsMyHomeboy » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:09 pm

For the record, Xmas decorations are fine. I'm talking about Thanksgiving, Halloween, July 4, etc decorations

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:09 pm

There might be some. I've never heard such a thing to this very moment.

In fact, the people I know who like to decorate are the happiest ones I know.

iamjs
Location: "Hey, who needs hockey? Didn't the Steelers just win the Super Bowl?"

Postby iamjs » Thu Sep 24, 2015 9:10 pm

If I had visitors or lived in an area with more people passing by, then sure I would.

My apartment is tucked on the side of a hill, and I am at one of the end buildings in the complex. Family from back home doesn't like driving here when the weather gets bad, and usually if I'm going to hang out with friends, I end up going to their place.