Steelers GDT, Week 1: Steelers vs. Cheaters

Rocco

Postby Rocco » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:50 am

In fairness it's tough to reposition all those traffic cones when the Pats are moving so quickly.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 12:54 am

He was trying to get the play off. If th coach sees it won't happen then call TO. The clock management has never been on Ben. Ever.
On the 2-minute warning play, the formation that was called had players criss crossing their finishing position from the previous down to line up on the other side of the field for the 'quick' snap. It easily cost them 5 or 6 seconds, and a lost play. As the players were resetting, it looked BRoeth was the only one who had an inkling as to the clock situation. Even HEEEEEEEEATH lollygagged it.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:00 am

The defense still gave up over 6 yards/play. And it might have been good enough if just once Haley's offense efficiently converted their yards into points.
Haley sort of won me over last year. The overall philosophy of the offense seemed to be paying off, but there was a frustrating tendency to score 3 instead of 7. But if tonight was an indication of past results predicting future performance, then sad face.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:11 am

The defense still gave up over 6 yards/play. And it might have been good enough if just once Haley's offense efficiently converted their yards into points.
Haley sort of won me over last year. The overall philosophy of the offense seemed to be paying off, but there was a frustrating tendency to score 3 instead of 7. But if tonight was an indication of past results predicting future performance, then sad face.
I highly highly doubt it.

As soon as we get Pouncey, Bell and martavis bryant back... the offense will be pretty unstoppable

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:14 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=95LsmF-fLzY

^ watch this and the loss will feel better

Cagsjr724

Postby Cagsjr724 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:22 am

So did the Patriots get caught cheating again with these headphone issues the Steelers had?

Craig

Postby Craig » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:23 am

The nfl provides the equipment and the patriots also had issues, so i dont think so.

Cagsjr724

Postby Cagsjr724 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:26 am

The nfl provides the equipment and the patriots also had issues, so i dont think so.
Damn lol. Was watching the pirate game and saw everyone flipping out on twitter about it. Was hoping they got busted with something again.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Sep 11, 2015 1:45 am

I highly highly doubt it.

As soon as we get Pouncey, Bell and martavis bryant back... the offense will be pretty unstoppable
Bell and Bryant, sure. But I don't think Pouncey is expected back until Thanksgiving. Granted, by then they only have conference opponents left on the schedule (including the second games against each divisional rival), but will it matter by then?

What I'm basically saying is that there was pretty much equal parts encouragement and head smash from the game tonight.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:00 am

I likely story. Dare I say, almost believable.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:43 am

I like Tomlin, but whoever signed off on that asinine trick play on the first drive should be tarred and feathered. Maybe even drawn and quartered. That completely changed the momentum of the game and was completely unnecessary. Also, Haley sucks at calling plays in the red zone.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:44 am

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:51 am

The patriots...taking advantage of lunkhead quarterbacks since 2001.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:51 am

for those of us that don't have DK access... TL;DNR?

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Sep 11, 2015 8:59 am

On the semi-positive side Bud Dupree, who by all accounts barely has an idea how to play OLB, showed more in one night than Jarvis Jones has in now his third season. I look forward to the Steelers drafting his replacement next April.

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:52 am

As mentioned before, radio jammers work by transmitting radio signals that disrupt communications by decreasing the signal-to-noise ratio. It doesn't matter who owns the equipment, it matters who is saturating the frequency.

It might be nothing, but closing the argument by saying "The NFL owns the equipment" is wrong.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Fri Sep 11, 2015 9:54 am

I really do think that it is intentional by the Patriots. I don't think it's the reason the Steelers lost the game.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:01 am

As mentioned before, radio jammers work by transmitting radio signals that disrupt communications by decreasing the signal-to-noise ratio. It doesn't matter who owns the equipment, it matters who is saturating the frequency.

It might be nothing, but closing the argument by saying "The NFL owns the equipment" is wrong.
The NFL is talking out their ass.
This 2014 NFL.com article seems to dispute that the NFL provides clubs’ headsets to them on game day:

This year, Bose shipped about 50 headsets to each stadium, for use by coaches on the sideline and in the booth, medical and officiating personnel. Teams travel with their own headsets in a special case and many coaches, creatures of habit and superstition, have taken to labeling their headset, particularly if their teams win when they wear a specific one. [...] The NFL mandates that every coach have exactly the same headset, and that any modification be made available to all teams so that no competitive advantage can be gained.

In fact, the NFL’s own Gameday Policy Manual states:

Home clubs are responsible for the installation and maintenance of the coaching staff communications infrastructure.

It further explains that the visiting coaches on the sideline may use their own headsets, but those used by visiting coaches in the coaches’ booth are supplied by the home team.
http://deadspin.com/what-exactly-happen ... sign%3Doff

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:15 am

This is too much of a coincidence...
This is the kind of stuff that happens to the visiting team in Gillette Stadium all the time. From the start of the game through the opening 14 minutes of the first quarter, the Steelers’ coaches’ headsets were receiving the Patriots Radio Network broadcast of the game. The broadcast was so loud that the Steelers coaches were unable to communicate, and the NFL rule is that if one team’s headsets are not working the other team is supposed to be forced to take their headsets off. It’s what the NFL calls the Equity Rule. Strangely enough, whenever an NFL representative proceeded to the New England sideline to shut down their headsets, the Steelers headsets cleared. Then as the representative walked away from the New England sideline, the Steelers’ headsets again started to receive the Patriots game broadcast.

http://www.steelers.com/news/article-1/ ... e9aee21c5f

Viva la Ben

Postby Viva la Ben » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:17 am

That's straight from the Steelers website by Bob Labriola

Staggy

Postby Staggy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:25 am

In a statement released Thursday night, NFL spokesman Michael Signora said both teams' communications equipment is provided by the league.

"In the first quarter of tonight's game, the Pittsburgh coaches experienced interference in their headsets caused by a stadium power infrastructure issue, which was exacerbated by the inclement weather," the statement read. "The coaches' communications equipment, including the headsets, is provided by the NFL for both clubs' use on game day. Once the power issue was addressed, the equipment functioned properly with no additional issues."
Why, after salivating at the opportunity to finally get the Patriots these last 8 months, would the NFL hop on this grenade if it wasn't true? The Patriots were having trouble with theirs too but, you know, that's not relevant.

mikey

Postby mikey » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:29 am

Once again, the NFL seems kind of confused by its own policy regarding gameday matters...

http://deadspin.com/what-exactly-happen ... 1730005682

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:34 am

Honestly, the entire apparatus that is the NFL is incredibly unlikeable. I know some people love to harp on the general character issues that supposedly plague certain NFL players (cough @Kicksave cough) but they are the only likeable thing about the league. Watching, for example, Antonio Brown play football and do what he does is so great. Unfortunately, it comes wrapped up in nickel and dime horsesht.

Staggy

Postby Staggy » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:39 am

Brown is so much fun to watch. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense that in the era of freakishly tall/fast/strong receivers, arguably the best currently is a sub 6 foot guy with good not great speed. But somehow he's always open and even when he's not he manages to make spectacular catches anyway. I thought Malcolm Butler did a decent job on him last night and his stat line was still great.

Beveridge

Postby Beveridge » Fri Sep 11, 2015 10:41 am

Brown is so much fun to watch. It doesn't make a whole lot of sense that in the era of freakishly tall/fast/strong receivers, arguably the best currently is a sub 6 foot guy with good not great speed. But somehow he's always open and even when he's not he manages to make spectacular catches anyway. I thought Malcolm Butler did a decent job on him last night and his stat line was still great.
He reminds me of watching Steve Smith play in his prime a decade ago. Brown actually has a good QB throwing his way, which helps.