Wine, Scotch, Rum, Tequila, Vodka, and the like

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun May 09, 2021 12:27 am

Not a huge fan of the Old Grandad Bottled in Bond. Certainly not bad, especially for the price, and the guy who runs the liquor store I shop at recommends it, just not a favorite.

Was in Texas and able to pick these up:
Weller Special Reserve
Angel’s Envy
Baker’s 7 year
Nice to be able to find some stuff that’s hardly ever available in my area.

LITT
Location: Those who don't listen will eventually be surrounded by people with nothing to say

Postby LITT » Sun May 09, 2021 8:19 am

At the price point I prefer four roses yellow label

MWB

Postby MWB » Sun May 09, 2021 8:39 pm

Definitely agree. That’s generally what I get a handle of.

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Mon May 10, 2021 4:19 pm

A) support the Pittsburgh Wrestling Club
B) maybe win some good stuff

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon May 10, 2021 11:27 pm

The next whiskey I bought was Windsor Canadian, at $12. And after tasting it, my reaction is, "That much, huh?" This is a cheap whiskey that tastes like a cheap whiskey. Lots of raw alcohol harshness that is not balanced out. I saw some ratings and reviews online where people were praising this stuff, and I was hopeful because Alberta Distillers Limited makes some other well-regarded products at the same distillery, but I don't see it. Strictly something to mix into cola, ginger ale, etc.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Mon May 10, 2021 11:46 pm

Canadian whisky is a cheap and messy segment of the whisky world. All of the different rules and regulations that exist to govern the production of bourbon, scotch, rye, Irish, etc. is absent in Canadian whisky other than “made in Canada”. Canadian whisky became prominent due to prohibition and promptly fell apart once the US got back in the game. Cheap mashbills, lots of blends, and no aging requirements in the loosely defined “wood” barrels. I know Alberta Distillers is supposed to be better, but for me Canadian whisky will never be anything more than an ingredient.

MWB

Postby MWB » Mon May 17, 2021 4:53 pm

Had Wathens Saturday night. Very solid, but nothing that really sticks out flavor-wise. Had Blantons after that. Phenomenal.

shafnutz05

Postby shafnutz05 » Tue May 18, 2021 7:18 am

eddy

Postby eddy » Tue May 18, 2021 7:27 am

Had some old Forester 1910 this weekend along with a couple bottles of Blanton's. All were delicious.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Tue May 18, 2021 7:53 am

Has anyone ever actually had this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeppson%27s_Mal%C3%B6rt
I haven't, but I wonder if it tastes like Pelinkovac, a Beaver County favorite which I have had, that is also made from wormwood and has a very bitter taste. Most people that I've introduced Pelinkovac to did not enjoy it. Not sure I do really, but it is a traditional thing for me. Haven't had it for a long time though since it is almost impossible to find out here.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Tue May 18, 2021 7:55 am

Has anyone ever actually had this?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeppson%27s_Mal%C3%B6rt
It can be found in some Chicago-area taverns and liquor stores, and is growing in popularity there, but is hard to find elsewhere in the United States.
I know the Chicago area has a thing for Fernet as well. That stuff is super bitter as well. Why are Chicagonites... Chicagoians.... Chicagons? So bitter?

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat May 22, 2021 12:13 am

[Looks at bottle of bourbon]

[Considers brain]

Well, brain, I've got some bad news...

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Mon May 31, 2021 10:13 pm

While finding the sweet tea vodka for Mrs. F I ran across a bottle of Novo Fogo cachaca I forgot I had bought. Made my first caipirinha. Take me to Brasil, baby! Tastes like summer.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Mon Jun 14, 2021 4:36 pm

I don't usually care about these made-up marketing days, but today's National Bourbon Day is one I can get totally behind. I'll be celebrating later this evening.

http://nationalbourbonday.com/

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Mon Jun 14, 2021 6:34 pm

While finding the sweet tea vodka for Mrs. F I ran across a bottle of Novo Fogo cachaca I forgot I had bought. Made my first caipirinha. Take me to Brasil, baby! Tastes like summer.
:thumb: We have I think 3 or 4 bottles of cachaça in our bar.

If you like the stuff, I recommend Velho Barreiro and Ypióca (in the wicker wrap) at the lower price point of around $20/750 ml bottle.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:30 pm

Picked up a Pennsylvania product in Manatawny Still Works' Four Grain American Whiskey. Made with barley malt, wheat, rye, and oats. A lot of the the wash from which Manatawny's products are distilled is fermented by Sly Fox Brewing. I like this stuff. It's got lots of vanilla sweetness and is surprisingly developed for a whiskey that probably isn't very old. Will definitely buy again.

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:44 pm

Trying Johnny’s Smoking Gun whiskey tonight. It’s labeled as “East meets West” and was produced to compliment Japanese cuisine. Normally this wouldn’t be something up my alley, but my wife got it for me so I figured I should try it. It’s not bad. Very smooth with some smokiness. Good change of pace.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:29 pm

Never heard of Jameson Distiller’s Safe, but now I have to go find a bottle.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:41 pm

Trying Johnny’s Smoking Gun whiskey tonight. It’s labeled as “East meets West” and was produced to compliment Japanese cuisine. Normally this wouldn’t be something up my alley, but my wife got it for me so I figured I should try it. It’s not bad. Very smooth with some smokiness. Good change of pace.

It mentions the smokiness coming from being mixed with a blend of Asian tea, so they must be using something like Lapsang Souchong in there (a pine-smoked Chinese black tea). Sounds interesting.

blackjack68

Postby blackjack68 » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:44 pm

Never heard of Jameson Distiller’s Safe, but now I have to go find a bottle.
Got the bottle and will be cracking it tomorrow.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:53 pm

It mentions the smokiness coming from being mixed with a blend of Asian tea, so they must be using something like Lapsang Souchong in there (a pine-smoked Chinese black tea). Sounds interesting.
“Interesting” is the word for it. Not great, but different. She got it in Detroit, but not sure how widely available it is.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Jun 18, 2021 8:54 pm

Do I get up at 6:30 tomorrow to get in line for two hours for a bottle of Eagle Rare?

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:19 pm

Do I get up at 6:30 tomorrow to get in line for two hours for a bottle of Eagle Rare?
From what I've heard, it's a good bourbon, but nothing hugely special. And it MSRPs for something like $30. I could order it online right now from the PALCB for $29.99. It uses the Buffalo Trace "low rye" mash bill #1 (not the wheated one used for stuff like Pappy's), and that's the same mash bill as regular Buffalo Trace bourbon, so Eagle Rare is likely just an older version of Buffalo Trace, and maybe the barrels also come from better parts of the aging warehouses. Same thing as the fact that Old Crow, Jim Beam White Label, Jim Beam Black Label, and Knob Creek all use the same mash recipe (75% corn, 13% rye, 12% barley); they're just progressively older in terms of barrel aging and maybe where the barrels were kept.

Edit: As an aside, I only know that stuff because I've been not only been on a bourbon-buying kick, I've also been on a kick of buying books about bourbon.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:31 pm

Yeah, I’ve had it and like it. Just don’t have a bottle of it and it’s hard to get around here. The store owner also generally picks the barrels he gets from Buffalo Trace. I’d like to have it for my shelf, just a matter of time and sleep. And it’ll probably be about $50, which isn’t an awful price, but always sucks paying that much over msrp.

MWB

Postby MWB » Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:52 pm

Speaking of Asian whiskey, have you tried Legent bourbon? Not a big fan because of the sherry influence, but has an interesting story:
https://www.legentbourbon.com/bourbon