Wine, Scotch, Rum, Tequila, Vodka, and the like

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:28 pm

The only thing I've ever used Pernod for was deglazing a pan in cooking.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:18 pm

Buy some rye and Peychaud's Bitters and make Sazeracs?

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:02 pm

Love the tequila talk. We’re going to have to start branching away bed from the silvers and try some other options.

We did do the Casamigos reposado which was super tasty.

Love the Herreadura talk.

@Dickie Dunn whats your opinion of Cabo Wabo?
So after reading through the last couple of pages I went thru our bar at home and found a bottle of Herradura reposado that I didn't know we had. We don't really drink tequila at home often, so it may have been a gift or part of what we got thru a 'sale' that one of our friends has once a year. (Don't ask)

There was a little gone so I'm assuming that my wife used it to make margaritas one night...no clue. Anywho, based on the discussion here I decided to pour a neat sipper of it last night to try. My goodness is it tasty! Just absolutely pleasant. I've always enjoyed tequila, but never really gave it a chance as a neat drink. That has always been reserved for scotch and more recently bourbons. What the hell have I been missing?

So genoscoif will most likely be making a trip to the state store today. We had to cancel a family reunion vacation that was scheduled for May which just put the $500 deposit back into my spending account................

The last couple of pages have some great suggestions. Definitely want to pick up the anejo from Herradura and maybe a different reposado to compare to the one I have.

Thank you 5af, and cheers!

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Sat Feb 20, 2021 12:06 pm

We also recently did the Don Julio Blanco. I liked it but felt like I didn’t have the right knowledge to really enjoy it.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:06 pm

Picked up some Rhum Agricole from Astor and tried a Ti' Punch. Initial thought was- this is crap. 5 in and now I'm like, hey this is pretty good stuff..... :D

Think I have gradually increased the lime juice content.

Martinique, I wanna party with you.

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Feb 27, 2021 12:49 am

Made a tequila old fashioned tonight... pretty good. Tequila, couple orange slices, agave, and bitters.

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Sat Feb 27, 2021 1:03 am

Nice, I keep some angostura around but rarely use it

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Sat Feb 27, 2021 7:24 am

Had a bartender minneapolis really insist we try her mezcal old fashioned and it was bomb

MWB

Postby MWB » Sat Mar 06, 2021 10:04 am

My go to liquor store does a thing where they put out allocated bottles on most Saturday’s. Went today for the first time. They don’t advertise what it will be, but it was pretty well hinted it was going to be Buffalo Trace stuff. After a two hour wait, ended up getting a bottle of Blantons and a bottle of Buffalo Trace. Pretty happy with that.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:20 pm

Probably tif-related, maybe someone else will know...if I had a certain champagne, or knew the characteristics of a certain champagne...could find another one that might be of similar taste/quality...? Is there like a database for this...? I'm crushing the stonk market and all, but $200 a bottle is a little much for me haha
I wish you had tagged me in this, I didn't see this post until today.

Yes, this isn't that hard to do. In fact, this is one of the things Mrs Tif and I do after a nice meal out; we always write down the wines we like with our dinners out, when we splurge and get a bit spendy, and then track down something in a similar vein at a weeknight dinner price point.

If you have a halfway decent wine shop near you, they should be able to help you get sorted. Or even try Wine Spectator's website. There are also apps (like Vivino) that allow you to upload a photo of the label (or you can manually enter the name of the producer/variety) and you'll be served with a "if you like that, try this" list.
Vivino FTW - you basically "scan" the label - and within one second you have the wine rating, information about the taste, recommendations, etc...

If there only were "beerino" or "tequilaino"... :)

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Tue Mar 16, 2021 11:31 pm

Big fan of Don Julio Añejo. I think they use additives for color consistency, but most brands do so whatever. Old school cooking, extracting, and distilling methods. The agave used by Don Julio are mature (7 to 10 years) and grown in the Jalisco highlands, which are known for producing a fruitier flavor.
Thank you for giving your stamp of approval to Don Julio. I finally got to our local Sam's Club, and because they were out of Don Julio Anejo, I picked up Don Julio Reposado. About $46, but worth every penny.

I think I finally get why (some) people criticize Casamigos. Both Herradura and Don Julio seem to me far less sweet, but they have more complex taste. Sort of like comparing a really sweet milk chocolate with fine dark.

So here is another question: what about Patron? I looked at Tequila Matchmaker, and it seems to me that people don't like their "basics" (Blanco/Reposado/Anejo) - but then suddenly everything else in their surprisingly wide portfolio gets rated really, really high.

Oh, and one more question: how "low" can I go if I simply want to make a decent margarita or mojito? I don't want to be wasting expensive sipping tequila on it, but, on the other hand, I understand that going Jose Cuervo way would be blasphemy... :D

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Thu Mar 18, 2021 12:17 pm

Big fan of Don Julio Añejo. I think they use additives for color consistency, but most brands do so whatever. Old school cooking, extracting, and distilling methods. The agave used by Don Julio are mature (7 to 10 years) and grown in the Jalisco highlands, which are known for producing a fruitier flavor.
Thank you for giving your stamp of approval to Don Julio. I finally got to our local Sam's Club, and because they were out of Don Julio Anejo, I picked up Don Julio Reposado. About $46, but worth every penny.

I think I finally get why (some) people criticize Casamigos. Both Herradura and Don Julio seem to me far less sweet, but they have more complex taste. Sort of like comparing a really sweet milk chocolate with fine dark.

So here is another question: what about Patron? I looked at Tequila Matchmaker, and it seems to me that people don't like their "basics" (Blanco/Reposado/Anejo) - but then suddenly everything else in their surprisingly wide portfolio gets rated really, really high.

Oh, and one more question: how "low" can I go if I simply want to make a decent margarita or mojito? I don't want to be wasting expensive sipping tequila on it, but, on the other hand, I understand that going Jose Cuervo way would be blasphemy... :D
The answer to your Patron question is Grey Goose and Jose Cuervo. Grey Goose is a wholly unspectacular vodka that routinely gets blasted in blind taste tests, but was marketed and priced as a premium product through celebrity endorsements and became the primary vodka of the "aspirational wealth" crowd. Patron went through a similar marketing transformation when the brand was purchased in the early 2000s by a big label distillery. The best selling Jose Cuervo products are overpriced bottom shelf mixto drivel, but that doesn't change the fact that Jose Cuervo is the oldest tequila distillery in the world, is still family owned, and produces some truly exceptional (and expensive) high end products like Reserva de la Familia Extra Añejo.

As you termed them, the basic Patron offerings range from inoffensive to underwhelming, but are priced like high end tequila because rappers like to talk about how much they drink it. It's actually a really good distillery that makes some great products that I have never seen in a liquor store in Western Pennsylvania because the shelves are full of whatever it takes to get the sorority drunk while feeling special. I do give Patron credit in that even with the overpriced low-end products, they have not made the move to diffusers and continue to old school roast in brick ovens.

Regarding mixed drinks, that is truly 100% personal preference. I would say never drop down to a mixto (think Cuervo Especial) and for the love of god never use margarita mix. What I typically make is what's known as a "Tommy's margarita" in that it omits any kind of orange liqueur. If I'm making margaritas for a decent amount of people I'm going with 2 ounces of a solid mid-range blanco or joven (Espolon, Mi Campo, Olmeca, or even Patron Silver if it's on sale), 1 ounce of fresh squeezed lime juice, and 1 ounce of agave syrup. Give or take on the additive amounts based on personal taste and shake over ice.

If I'm making tequila old fashioneds or margaritas for a whiskey drinker, then I'll use a reposado because the aging better emulates the original drink or taste preference. When it's just us or close family I admittedly use higher end stuff (but never Añejo). Herradura makes for a really nice tequila old fashioned. My wife's preferred margarita is with Casamigos Reposado because the less complex taste doesn't overwhelm the drink, while because it is sweeter I can use more lime and less agave syrup to achieve the flavor profile she prefers.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:10 pm

Doesn't Grey Goose make 'Kirkland' vodka for Costco?

Also, 'margarita mix' lol

MWB

Postby MWB » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:19 pm

Anyone tried a tequila Tom Collins? My local place sent out a recipe for it today, and may try it this weekend.

eddy

Postby eddy » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:27 pm

Cristal anyone?

https://www.wtso.com/#

RonnieFranchise

Postby RonnieFranchise » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:32 pm

No but I'm a gin guy.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Thu Mar 18, 2021 1:42 pm

I bought "The One Bottle Cocktail" a couple years ago, and I keep finding winners through it. It's really a great book. Tried the switchback highball the other night. Loved it. A highball is just whiskey and ginger ale. This one was whiskey, maple syrup, lemon juice, apple cider vinegar, stirred then topped with ginger beer. Really nice cocktail.

Tomas

Postby Tomas » Sat Mar 20, 2021 4:06 pm

The answer to your Patron question is Grey Goose and Jose Cuervo. Grey Goose is a wholly unspectacular vodka that routinely gets blasted in blind taste tests, but was marketed and priced as a premium product through celebrity endorsements and became the primary vodka of the "aspirational wealth" crowd. Patron went through a similar marketing transformation when the brand was purchased in the early 2000s by a big label distillery. The best selling Jose Cuervo products are overpriced bottom shelf mixto drivel, but that doesn't change the fact that Jose Cuervo is the oldest tequila distillery in the world, is still family owned, and produces some truly exceptional (and expensive) high end products like Reserva de la Familia Extra Añejo.

As you termed them, the basic Patron offerings range from inoffensive to underwhelming, but are priced like high end tequila because rappers like to talk about how much they drink it. It's actually a really good distillery that makes some great products that I have never seen in a liquor store in Western Pennsylvania because the shelves are full of whatever it takes to get the sorority drunk while feeling special. I do give Patron credit in that even with the overpriced low-end products, they have not made the move to diffusers and continue to old school roast in brick ovens.

Regarding mixed drinks, that is truly 100% personal preference. I would say never drop down to a mixto (think Cuervo Especial) and for the love of god never use margarita mix. What I typically make is what's known as a "Tommy's margarita" in that it omits any kind of orange liqueur. If I'm making margaritas for a decent amount of people I'm going with 2 ounces of a solid mid-range blanco or joven (Espolon, Mi Campo, Olmeca, or even Patron Silver if it's on sale), 1 ounce of fresh squeezed lime juice, and 1 ounce of agave syrup. Give or take on the additive amounts based on personal taste and shake over ice.

If I'm making tequila old fashioneds or margaritas for a whiskey drinker, then I'll use a reposado because the aging better emulates the original drink or taste preference. When it's just us or close family I admittedly use higher end stuff (but never Añejo). Herradura makes for a really nice tequila old fashioned. My wife's preferred margarita is with Casamigos Reposado because the less complex taste doesn't overwhelm the drink, while because it is sweeter I can use more lime and less agave syrup to achieve the flavor profile she prefers.
Thank you, thank you, thank you! I am learning so much stuff here.

The reason why I asked about Patron is that they have the full "basic" lineup in our local Sam's Club (with prices about $10 below local liquor stores). At the end, I picked up Don Julio Blanco for mixed drinks, and will keep Don Julio Reposado for sipping. That should last for quite some time...

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Wed Apr 21, 2021 11:45 pm

I just learned that April is Alcohol Awareness Month. I suggest we all demonstrate our awareness by drinking more tasty alcohol.

genoscoif

Postby genoscoif » Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:01 am

I just learned that April is Alcohol Awareness Month. I suggest we all demonstrate our awareness by drinking more tasty alcohol.

LeopardLetang

Postby LeopardLetang » Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:56 am

Boring of my local scotch selection I was ecstatic to find and hoard some Hatozaki small batch whisky. Wow. Amazing how bad "good" Irish whisky can be in comparison to Japanese whisky. Missing my State College runs where they had Nikka Coffee Grain Whisky. And really missing the low priced Yamazaki 12 my store used to stock. Not impressed with the Toki or Hibiki Suntory selections at their price. Nor the $60 Nikka. But when a Japanese whisky is good it's better than equal priced scotches I find.

Sam's Drunk Dog

Postby Sam's Drunk Dog » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:37 pm

Pennsylvania Liquor Control Board opens entry to lottery to purchase Pappy Van Winkle and other rare whiskey.

https://www.abc27.com/news/top-stories/ ... iskey/amp/

willeyeam

Postby willeyeam » Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:50 pm

My man

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Sat May 08, 2021 9:34 pm

The pharmacy where I went to get my vaccine had a small, hole-in-the-wall state store next door. It didn't have anything more than a basic selection, so I bought some cheaper whiskeys. Old Grand-Dad 100 proof Bottled in Bond is surprisingly good for a bourbon that barely clears $20, and I like this stuff quite a lot. Much better than I expected.

Dickie Dunn

Postby Dickie Dunn » Sat May 08, 2021 9:47 pm

That’s a solid choice. The bottled in bond is a well regarded upgrade over the standard swill at an excellent price.