VA news crew shot to death on live TV

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:26 pm

Yeah. She revoked the PO after she realized he couldn't work, and presumably, pay alimony at some point.

Craig

Postby Craig » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:29 pm

That is disgusting.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:29 pm

the injustice of you being denied gun ownership is irrelevant to society. the burden is not on the rest of us to make you happy.
You are aware that the Supreme Court has held that the RKBA is a fundamental individual right? Would it be acceptable to bring back poll taxes for voting? How about marriage licenses for same-race couples cost $5 but marriage licenses for interracial couples cost $5,000? And licenses for gays would cost $50,000. Okay with that?

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:31 pm

Source of the post You are aware that the Supreme Court has held that the RKBA is a fundamental individual right?
I know you're joining late, but if you keep reading he approves of this proxy-ban and thinks the ends justify the means.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:36 pm

So was this guy a minority?
Perd Hapley?

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:43 pm

Didn't Chris Rock have a gun control bit about just making bullet outrageously expensive. Something like $1,000 a bullet would make you really think before you pull that trigger.
Yep.
"Nonlethal" target ammunition would be cheap, the good stuff prohibitively expensive to lower demand/availability. In fact, to really piss off the right/libertarians we could tax the crap out of it to pay for the increased county level background checks, lol
Uh, anything powerful enough to accurately shoot targets is going to be perfectly lethal. Target ammunition typically holds that status because more care and attention is taken to ensure that each cartridge is loaded with a consistent amount of power using bullets of a consistent weight, with the goal being minimal variation from round to round. It doesn't mean it isn't every bit as lethal as other ammunition.

double m v.2.0

Postby double m v.2.0 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:43 pm

Oh, I agree that would be dangerous. That's why I pose the question.

We just recently passed a law here in CA that allows the county to confiscate the guns from someone who has been involuntarily committed. It's a slippery slope, and I'm eager to see how the first year of enforcement plays out.
You can't own them in PA after a 302. I don't support anything like that.

NailedPenguin
Location: The biggest post, in the biggest thread, in the biggest forum in town. Wooooo!

Postby NailedPenguin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 5:56 pm

Has anyone talked about his racial identity as as the key driver if this shooting? This guy was so convinced he was the victim of institutional racism, he felt justified in gunning two young people down in cold blood.
Of course no one has talked about it. Have you see what happens when people do?? The guys own words explained exactly why he did it but, gotta revisit gun control. (and I say that as someone who doesn't own a gun, never shot a gun, and is in favor of at least SOME additional form of gun control.) The complaints this guy made to HR because she said "swing by" and "Out in the field".. and this guy wasn't motivated by racial hate? C'mon. I'll link it when Im not on my phone but I saw today at some point he was upset with a store owner for selling watermelon flavored juices and drinks too. He claims this was revenge for Charleston, but that was probably just his breaking point. He saw everything as racial oppression long, long before that.

But hey, lets keep having these social justice warriors and liberals preach about every word and phrase in the English language being racist and pretend it doesn't influence people. The transparency of the difference following the aftermath between Charleston and this is laughable. A 2 week orgy ripping down the confederate flag and defacing civil war monuments, but this guy finds Gatorade racist and writes "You want a race war. Bring it!" and no one can find a connection to anything.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:01 pm

So what's the answer for getting illegal guns off the streets?

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:06 pm

It seems to be:

Take them from law abiding citizens.
Crime spikes (Australia, UK)
Cops kill criminals (Ferguson, et al)
Pick up gun off the literal pavement.
Rinse/Repeat for generations.
???
Now only the government has guns.

That seems to be the shmenguin plan.

slappybrown

Postby slappybrown » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:10 pm

I concede I am nowhere near as knowledgeable concerning this issue as many of you and so don't really have a firm position, but my understanding is that AUS had a drop in violent crime as a result of its gun control programmes? I could be wrong here.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:11 pm

So informed. So impressive.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:13 pm

the injustice of you being denied gun ownership is irrelevant to society. the burden is not on the rest of us to make you happy.
You are aware that the Supreme Court has held that the RKBA is a fundamental individual right? Would it be acceptable to bring back poll taxes for voting? How about marriage licenses for same-race couples cost $5 but marriage licenses for interracial couples cost $5,000? And licenses for gays would cost $50,000. Okay with that?
I'm ok with everything I've said. If you want to lump everything together like that, go ahead. It's not my conversation.

Shyster

Postby Shyster » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:16 pm

I'm ok with everything I've said. If you want to lump everything together like that, go ahead. It's not my conversation.
I was checking to make sure that in fact your position is "I only care about the Constitutional rights I like and am fine with gross infringements of the ones I don't like." Thanks for the confirmation.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:20 pm

I was checking to make sure that in fact your position is "I only care about the Constitutional rights I like and am fine with gross infringements of the ones I don't like." Thanks for the confirmation.
It's pretty obvious I think the 2nd amendment shouldn't exist anymore. So with that said, I don't think we have anything to discuss. But thanks.

Craig

Postby Craig » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:23 pm

Shyster's interpretation of your stance seems pretty fair.

double m v.2.0

Postby double m v.2.0 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:24 pm

I don't support a ban on guns. I support gun control. Just from this thread alone we can see who is being targeted. I.E. (mental illness) I haven't even heard that he even had a mental illness.

count2infinity
Location: All things must pass. With six you get eggroll. No matter how thin you slice it, it's still baloney.

Postby count2infinity » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:48 pm

I'm seeing on FB that apparently this has a pretty strong conspiracy theory following that it never happened. The bullets were blanks, no one died and that it was a publicity stunt.

columbia

Postby columbia » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:50 pm

It seems to be:

???

So yinz (gun owners) have no ideas?

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Fri Aug 28, 2015 6:56 pm

Shyster's interpretation of your stance seems pretty fair.
Right. Because effectively he's only saying I like some laws and don't like others.

Algernon

Postby Algernon » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:08 pm

It seems to be:

???

I have an idea.

People suck.

People will kill people

Its a scary world.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:10 pm

The single most important step that can be taken is to aggressively prosecute people who sell the guns illegally. Stolen guns only account for a fraction of weapons used in crime (I think around 1/4); the majority are purchased, either from a legal seller engaging in an illegal transaction, or from the guy in the alley. In the case of the legal seller making an illegal sale, the tricksy part is establishing foreknowledge. For example, if I go to a gun store in Vegas with my father-in-law, and we're looking at a variety of handguns, and when we ask to handle a few guns, I'm the only one actually picking them up and checking the grip and whatnot, and then when we check out, my father-in-law plonks down his credit card and permit. It can be fairly easy to deduce that he's actually buying the gun for me, a CA resident. This is a straw purchase, and it's illegal for handguns.

The hard part is finding a way to prove all of that activity happened in the store before the purchase. CCTV tapes are usually only kept for a short period of time; if nothing untoward happens, a lot of businesses (not just gun stores) overwrite tape or delete the digital file the next day. That doesn't really help, because it might be 8, 9 years before I finally snap and finally shoot Shaf. So is it an answer to require FFL dealers to keep their in-store camera footage for a longer period of time? (Indefinitely?)

As far as the guy selling guns out of his trunk.......... there are as many firearms as people in the US. I think effective preemption of this activity is a horse that's already bolted.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:19 pm

I concede I am nowhere near as knowledgeable concerning this issue as many of you and so don't really have a firm position, but my understanding is that AUS had a drop in violent crime as a result of its gun control programmes? I could be wrong here.
I'm much more familiar with the UK numbers (I have friends from there, so this comes up in discussion with them). From what I remember in Oz, there was a period of about 5-6 years or so where robberies and sexual assaults and rapes really boomed up. Like a scary number, 20-40% in some cases. It has tailed off somewhat since, but the rates of those types of crimes are at and/or somewhat below where they were pre-ban.

The rate of murders and kidnappings has largely been unchanged in Australia for decades, and showed no real movement in the years following the ban, either up or down.

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Fri Aug 28, 2015 7:20 pm

dodint

Postby dodint » Fri Aug 28, 2015 9:08 pm

It seems to be:

???

Why am I being pressed with coming up with ideas? Guns don't kill people, sick **** kill people. The most egregious of weapons are banned already. I have a Tec-9, not a Tec-9 with an open bolt. We're a big country with lots of sick people, bad things will happen with all kinds of equipment. I'm willing to bet that I'll be killed by a drunk driver before I'm killed by a bullet. As demonstrated by the last few pages of this thread, violent crime is down. Exposure and dissemination of isolated incidents of violent crime is up thanks to the 24-hr news cycle and social media. I don't perceive a problem that needs a drastic fix.

To entertain the idea, the only thing I see working is a long term radical plan. Shut down domestic production of firearms and ban the importation of all firearms for domestic use. Add a sportsman exemption for a limited selection of bolt and lever action rifles for hunting that have 3rd magazines that can be purchased only after a first hunting permit is issued. Let current gun owners keep what they have, even allow them to pass them to their kids without a hassle. Over time they'll break, non-common ammo will eventually become unavailable, and in about 120 years for all intents and purposes they'll be gone. Then sick people can kill each other in new ways, like bombing the finish line at marathons.

I would actually endorse this plan. I'm ~2 guns away from all I need.