Should kids be able to fly on an airplane?

Should kids be allowed on airplanes, or should we just dodint about it?

Yes, mini-me lives matter
68%
No, MIMH and his ilk should never be allowed on an airplane
32%

Total votes: 34
robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:23 pm

Thought I'd post this article in the Travel thread, but I think it'll warrant some good ole 5AF discussion on its own.

https://www.yahoo.com/travel/no-more-cr ... 40372.html

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:25 pm

Are Child-Free Flights the Next Thing?
This would be a nice option.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:27 pm

We flew from Pittsburgh to Miami with our son a month ago. He never cried, whined, got loud, or bothered anyone. Heck, he actually fell asleep as we were landing. Who does that? Not every kid will be a nightmare on a flight. Child free flights would be a cool option though.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:27 pm

People are now allowed to wear headphones from the time they board the plane to the time they leave.

If a baby bothers you, it's a you problem. Not a baby problem.

tifosi77

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:28 pm

I don't think it's fair to exclude a huge chunk of the population from air travel. But the child-free flight idea is appealing.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:29 pm

I'd be happy if they were required to sit in a certain section of the plane. Anything to put some distance between me and them. Obviously a straight up ban isn't practical or feasible, but finding some way to have separation or disincentivize bringing kids on a plane would be great.

A tangential issue I also have with this is families that book the cheapest seats they can all over the cabin for their family, then stomp their feet at the gate until they force the airline to seat them together. As someone that is usually flying alone, I tend to lose my aisle or window seat and end up sitting dodint on many flights. Not cool, I'm 6'4" and nearly 300lbs, I chose my seat for a reason. Lately I've been buying the 'premium' seating that is $10-30 more just to try and head this off, which I shouldn't have to to because you Mom and Dad were being cheap pricks.

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:29 pm

I don't think anyone takes their child on flights for fun. Parents with kids are trying to get somewhere, the same as everyone else on the plane.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:32 pm

One thing I don't get is why do people with babies get on the plane any earlier than absolutely necessary? Do everyone a favor (including yourselves). Be the last to board and sit near the front of the plane so you can leave sooner.

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:32 pm

People are now allowed to wear headphones from the time they board the plane to the time they leave.

Remember that scene at the end of Billy Madison? Where the game show hosts gives no points for an answer? Your answer is just about on that level.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:34 pm

A "you" problem it is then

Freddy Rumsen
Location: "Order is the only possibility of rest." -- Wendell Berry

Postby Freddy Rumsen » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:37 pm

:thumb:

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:38 pm

:lol:

Seriously though. Saying that I should have to bring music, and blast it continuously for 2 to 14 hours because of someone else's choice is a bit unreasonable, no? I'm not saying it has to be like a library, but a piercing wail? Come on.

Making the first or last 15 rows "child zones" would suffice for me, I'll just select a seat as far away from there and then everyone is happy.

I've never run into an unruly child in First Class. That might be the answer.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:38 pm

One thing I don't get is why do people with babies get on the plane any earlier than absolutely necessary? Do everyone a favor (including yourselves). Be the last to board and sit near the front of the plane so you can leave sooner.
Because they need to install a car seat if the kid is under the age where they don't need car seats anymore and are not sitting on their parents' lap. To your last point, if airlines reserved the front row for potential parents with kids, this will be possible but sometimes those seats are already taken.

shmenguin

Postby shmenguin » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:44 pm

Because they need to install a car seat if the kid is under the age where they don't need car seats anymore and are not sitting on their parents' lap. To your last point, if airlines reserved the front row for potential parents with kids, this will be possible but sometimes those seats are already taken.
Car seat...who would do that? My kids just always sit in their own seat like normal. At ages 1 and 2, even.

But yeah...they also charge extra for those seats now. Worth it if you can swing it.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:44 pm

A tangential issue I also have with this is families that book the cheapest seats they can all over the cabin for their family, then stomp their feet at the gate until they force the airline to seat them together. As someone that is usually flying alone, I tend to lose my aisle or window seat and end up sitting dodint on many flights. Not cool, I'm 6'4" and nearly 300lbs, I chose my seat for a reason. Lately I've been buying the 'premium' seating that is $10-30 more just to try and head this off, which I shouldn't have to to because you Mom and Dad were being cheap pricks.
Um...sometimes there are no seats left together so families have to do this at the gate. We had to do this on our last flight. We had 3 seats, none of them together. Should we have just said "oh well. our 3 year old can sit with a stranger"?

meow
Location: I have four degrees and am a moron. Don’t let that fool you

Postby meow » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:46 pm

Um...sometimes there are no seats left together so families have to do this at the gate. We had to do this on our last flight. We had 3 seats, none of them together. Should we have just said "oh well. our 3 year old can sit with a stranger"?
Yes. dodint would raise that boy right.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:47 pm

I don't think anyone takes their child on flights for fun. Parents with kids are trying to get somewhere, the same as everyone else on the plane.
This is /thread to me.

Pavel Bure

Postby Pavel Bure » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:48 pm

My son is 17 months (i hate myself for giving months) we just went to Cali and back. He had a couple outbursts of about 10 seconds a piece but nothing sustained. If a couple yells/cries bother someone they need to take an ambian and chill out.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:49 pm

Car seat...who would do that? My kids just always sit in their own seat like normal. At ages 1 and 2, even.

But yeah...they also charge extra for those seats now. Worth it if you can swing it.
Your kids are much more behaved than my 1 year old. There's no way he would have sat still in a seat by himself.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:52 pm

Your kids are much more behaved than my 1 year old. There's no way he would have sat still in a seat by himself.
Then your child should be forced to sit in the baggage compartment surrounded by sound proof walls with just enough O2 to survive the flight, you animal.

robbiestoupe

Postby robbiestoupe » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:54 pm

Then your child should be forced to sit in the baggage compartment surrounded by sound proof walls with just enough O2 to survive the flight, you animal.
Hey, if my kid is in the baggage compartment he's the animal, not me.

PFiDC

Postby PFiDC » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:54 pm

:lol: :lol:

double m v.2.0

Postby double m v.2.0 » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:55 pm

Put them outside the plane. J/k of course they should. This reminds me of when people got about about fat people flying.

columbia

Postby columbia » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:55 pm

It seems like some here are hostile to others having the choice to not be around children.
Why is that?

dodint

Postby dodint » Wed Aug 12, 2015 4:56 pm

You could select a flight that ensures you get to sit where you planned, like I did.

The crux of it is that you booked seats knowing you can't sit in them, and feel an entitlement to make other people accommodate you. That's dirty. It'd be different if I was asked, or was compensated somehow, but I usually show up and find out my seat number has been changed. It happens a lot. The last time my wife flew from NC to WI and back, it happened on the CLT-CHI leg BOTH TIMES. The fact that airlines are allowed to overbook flights also ensures that your plan of screwing someone else out of their seat will come to fruition because there won't be any naturally vacant seats to work with.

Be honest. When you book seats you know for a fact you can't use do you feel any guilt or remorse?