Video Games

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 11:19 am

I wonder if tifosi could comment on Crossy Road's resemblance to Frogger, which is under copyright/control by Konami.

How are they able to have a game that is such an obvious ripoff of Frogger without paying Konami?

the wicked child

Video Games

Postby the wicked child » Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:28 pm

New Diablo patch launched yesterday... new bounties, new treasure goblins, new items... ability to increase blood shard cap by completing higher level grifts...

If only they would do something about trials...

tifosi77

Video Games

Postby tifosi77 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:20 pm

I wonder if tifosi could comment on Crossy Road's resemblance to Frogger, which is under copyright/control by Konami.

How are they able to have a game that is such an obvious ripoff of Frogger without paying Konami?
Not super familiar with it, but from what I've seen it's not nearly similar enough to warrant an infringement action.

But there's a bigger issue: Frogger is an IP mess for Konami. At some point in the late 80s, they lost chain of title for much of the older stuff. (Copyright and trademark registrations were not renewed, and so on) As a result, Konami isn't in the best position to pursue infringement claims. When we'd license the older stuff, it had to be an as-is quitclaim, which is basically telling the licensee "We can't really prove we have the authority to actually issue this license, so proceed at your own risk." We absolutely were not able to license gameplay footage that included music, because all the rights to the original game music were licensed, not work-for-hire, and the licenses were all for only 7 or 10 years.

Aside from anything having to do with Def Jam Rapstar and Kojima, Frogger was the biggest headache I had to deal with.

Edited because the word 'jam' does not have a p.
Last edited by tifosi77 on Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

DigitalGypsy66

Video Games

Postby DigitalGypsy66 » Wed Apr 08, 2015 10:29 pm

Interesting. I hadn't thought about them actually not renewing trademarks...

NAN

Video Games

Postby NAN » Thu Apr 09, 2015 9:53 am

The cheapest NES, Super NES, or N64 game at the exchange now is $6. Even the crappy $1 over produced sports games.

Sarcastic

Video Games

Postby Sarcastic » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:16 am

I'm having a hard time getting used to the fighting controls in Dishonored. I'm just trying it now because I'm still playing Thief. But so far, everything about Thief seems so much darker and more serious, even the graphics. Dishonored looks like a fun game, but a totally different animal from Thief.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:16 pm

NHL 15 is now in EA Access. Time to feast on some n00bs.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:25 pm

The cheapest NES, Super NES, or N64 game at the exchange now is $6. Even the crappy $1 over produced sports games.
I hate the Exchange. Most of their stock seems way overpriced.

NAN

Video Games

Postby NAN » Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:37 pm

I hate the Exchange. Most of their stock seems way overpriced.
They have like 20 Zelda Windwakers for Gamecube at the one downtown all for $50. No one is buying them.

All of the Zelda or Mario games are automatically $50. Regardless of what it is.

Craig

Video Games

Postby Craig » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:29 pm

I just came across a copy of star fox. Never had an snes.

Kaiser

Video Games

Postby Kaiser » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:23 pm

anyone still play WoW? theyve added a token that can be bought for real money, and sold on the Auction house. the seller gets the gold from the buyer, which is an amount set by blizzard based on game economy. the token buyer gets a 30 day subscription. as of last night a token was 20k gold, which is peanuts to make if you try over a month. so ive re subbed for the last 3 days and have made a quarter of next months sub price.

goodbye life

shafnutz05

Video Games

Postby shafnutz05 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:27 pm

I poured hundreds of hours into WoW, but it's been four-five years since I've played. I sure loved it though.

Sarcastic

Video Games

Postby Sarcastic » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:35 pm

I'm really into Thief. It's a very good game. Controls/mechanics are incredible. Running, jumping, climbing is so fluid. I'm about halfway through. After this, it's Dishonored.

FreeCandy44

Video Games

Postby FreeCandy44 » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:52 pm

Why dont you try Cash In Culture for Nes/Snes games?

NAN

Video Games

Postby NAN » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:39 pm

http://venturebeat.com/2015/04/09/these ... the-wii-u/

Nintendo moving on from the Wii U? Looks like it.

I know it was mentioned on here before. Just linking an article.

nocera

Video Games

Postby nocera » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:51 pm

There's a part of me that would be sad if Nintendo stops making hardware. But, there's a much larger part of me that really wants to play Mario games on Xbox. A Mario collection game would be amazing, especially if it included Mario 1-3, Lost World, Super Mario World, and maybe through in Mario 64 for good measure.

Sarcastic

Video Games

Postby Sarcastic » Sat Apr 11, 2015 12:57 pm

I keep trying Dishonored. Hmm. I don't know. I mean, the graphics are beautiful and the world looks great, but the characters are all similar and goofy looking. I normally like the cartoonish style in some games, but I don't know if this goes with what seems like a serious story. I have a problem relating to it. It feels like a light, fun, action-adventure. There are some things that do bother me. All these books and texts you find. Did you guys read all of that? So much already and I barely began the game. I don't like these controls. I don't want to play the whole game having to press the triggers to fight. I wish I could switch the main attack button to the square (PS) like in most games. Pressing the trigger works well in shooters, but not in sword/knife fighters. Maybe I need to advance more and get more agility, but the smoothness and fluidity is better in Thief (I keep comparing the two because they're related). Maybe I need to learn to fight better and get quicker kills.

Anyway, I have a question. I'm on my first mission to assassinate some guy. I met the granny and she sent me to a gang territory to poison the guys there. They keep breathing fire right at my face and hurting me quickly. WTF. I don't want to keep using bullets and arrows on them since I only have so many. This sucks. Any tips on fighting these guys?

the wicked child

Video Games

Postby the wicked child » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:05 pm

Hmm. I am intrigued by Axiom Verge... appears to be a Metroid clone recently released on PS4. I'm not sure I am $19.99 intrigued, however.

Of course I say that now, but I've really been jonesing for another Metroid game so I'll prob end up making a drunk buy at some point.

the errey i breathe

Video Games

Postby the errey i breathe » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:31 pm

I keep trying Dishonored. Hmm. I don't know. I mean, the graphics are beautiful and the world looks great, but the characters are all similar and goofy looking. I normally like the cartoonish style in some games, but I don't know if this goes with what seems like a serious story. I have a problem relating to it. It feels like a light, fun, action-adventure. There are some things that do bother me. All these books and texts you find. Did you guys read all of that? So much already and I barely began the game. I don't like these controls. I don't want to play the whole game having to press the triggers to fight. I wish I could switch the main attack button to the square (PS) like in most games. Pressing the trigger works well in shooters, but not in sword/knife fighters. Maybe I need to advance more and get more agility, but the smoothness and fluidity is better in Thief (I keep comparing the two because they're related). Maybe I need to learn to fight better and get quicker kills.

Anyway, I have a question. I'm on my first mission to assassinate some guy. I met the granny and she sent me to a gang territory to poison the guys there. They keep breathing fire right at my face and hurting me quickly. WTF. I don't want to keep using bullets and arrows on them since I only have so many. This sucks. Any tips on fighting these guys?
I didn't have a lot of trouble with the controls because I played the game trying not to be seen and to at least not kill. It made it a lot more fun trying to find all of the ways to get in and out of places without being seen. If you're having trouble with the gangsters just try to stealth in and out. I just started replaying it and it's not too bad to get in and out of there without being seen. Just stay up top and drop down to choke out the baddies. Also use lots of sleep darts!

Craig

Video Games

Postby Craig » Sat Apr 11, 2015 8:58 pm

I lost interest in dishonored real fast.

skullman80

Video Games

Postby skullman80 » Sat Apr 11, 2015 9:59 pm

Dishonored was pretty awesome. Not even really my style of game, but I enjoyed it alot.

Sarcastic

Video Games

Postby Sarcastic » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:08 am

I hope I don't lose interest like Idoit, but it's not really holding me yet. Except for the graphics. I want to see more of this world.

errey, I like to kill stuff in games, so I am not going to play this game purely sneaking around. Soldiers are easy to kill, but those gangsters are a pain right now. If 3 get on me, I don't know when to attack without getting burnt and it takes away a lot of health gauge.

Solidsnake

Video Games

Postby Solidsnake » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:12 am

Bloodborne has consumed me games wise, just so excellent.

Solidsnake

Video Games

Postby Solidsnake » Sun Apr 12, 2015 12:13 am

Hmm. I am intrigued by Axiom Verge... appears to be a Metroid clone recently released on PS4. I'm not sure I am $19.99 intrigued, however.

Of course I say that now, but I've really been jonesing for another Metroid game so I'll prob end up making a drunk buy at some point.
Already Beat it, worth every penny.

Reveutopique

Video Games

Postby Reveutopique » Sun Apr 12, 2015 2:42 am

I still love Resident Evil 4. I think I have a problem.

Oddly enough I have not finished Pro mode. It's very redundant.